Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - Bigdaveg

An interesting one this, I mentioned G3 in another forum and most people mentioned g3 farecla, which is totally different.

A Nissan dealer will provide the tempting offer at a bargain £150 on a nearly new car. G3 glasscoat, aka supaguard etc is a high tech coating that is put over your car and on the upholstery etc, in order to preserve the paintwork and seats, with a guarantee of 5 years it looks very promising, I've spoken to one of the G3 people and "pride" about the product is very obvious, in reality G3 don't do it unfortunately, the car gets taken into the dealers work shop and it's treated by them, the bad news if a car has been sat on the forecourt for a month and is then degreased for prep, are blemishes (etched bird crap, scratches, dried water marks and marks on seat etc) dealt with prior to treatment?, officially yes says the guy at G3, "any blemishes should be removed before coating", in reality I just wish i was a fly on the wall ;-). As for the longevity of the coating can anyone within the automotive industry tell me that in 4 years time I will be able to tell the difference between a G3's car and a normal one just polished normally ?. While on this subject can anyone please tell me if Autoglyms SRP and a lot of rubbing would get rid of the etchings ?. Is it money well spent ?. £150 would buy alot of decent polish and at least you'd be able to treat blemishes that were'nt coated. And from what I've heard some dealerships charge A LOT more for the coating.
Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - bonzo dog

in reality G3 don't do it unfortunately, the car gets taken into the dealers work shop and it's treated by them

Guess what ..... Shock Horror ....your brand new Nissan isn't prepared by Nissan, it's prepared by the dealer!

I don't have a problem with anyone criticising products, be it cars, posh polish, Gap or hairdryers but at least make you criticisms meaningful

Meaningful ?.

Well say G3 glasscoat to a lot of people that Know about G3 and they'd think G3 farcela.

I did'nt have a clue what either was, probably like 90% of the public.

The op was intended to illuminate what g3 glasscoat was, what happens when you opt for the G3 glasscoating, the fact that it's expensive and the fact that no one, meaningful can say whether it'll protect a car for as long as normal polishing will, and that's if the car has been properly done, sadly as you say the dealer themselves do it, which can mean anything, when it comes to how the car finally looks and how long that wonder coating lasts.

Edited by Bigdaveg on 23/05/2012 at 20:24

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - GavoTheSane

Wouldn't bother with G3. Spend the money on a car detailer to come clean it and give it a buff and polish with the proper equipment and use some good paint sealant, which is all G3 is anyway.

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - NARU

I got the dealer to throw the G3 glasscoat in with my car. I wouldn't have paid for it, but a year later the water still beads well so I guess its doing something.

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

You can do a better job of the upholstery yourself with a can of ScotchGard from B&Q! Or even cheaper, if they've still got some left, the waterproofing spray from Aldi, and you can do that once a year to protect against silly children or women spilling drinks and such. And there's plenty of 'Professional' bodywork finishes in the car parts shops. It just takes a bit of elbow grease and you'll get a far better job for about ten pounds spent than paying the price that the dealer wants. This treatment isn't magic and you can do a better job yourself!

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - oldtoffee

I had the G3 glasscoat treatment on my new Hyundai last August. I didn't particularly want it but it was part of a pricing package that the dealer put together to match the very low price quoted on drive the deal so I took it expecting to be using my own materials a few months later. 19,000 miles and 10 months later it definitely still beads water as well as when new. I use not inexpensive, good quality acrylic polishes and sealants (which is what G3 is) on my wife's Fiat and have to polish and reseal every 3 or 4 months (about 2,500 miles) to retain the same quality of beading. I have been a long standing cynic of these types of treatment having had one myself and seen others on cars that have lasted only a few months of their loony 60 month claim but the G3 has worked for me. Key to anything like this working properly is how it is applied and how long it is left to "cure" before removing by buffing off. If the dealers lackies get this wrong (surely not possible) it won't be effective.

G3 Glasscoat, as far as I'm aware is a new technology, as already mentioned a lot of people either don't know what it is, or automatically thinks it's G3 Farcela, the 5 years of protection to my knowledge has yet to be proven, in the real world anyway, but for me the key thing is how it's applied, if done well and even if it only lasts for a couple of years then I do think paying £150 is a good investment,

"Key to anything like this working properly is how it is applied and how long it is left to "cure" before removing by buffing off. If the dealers lackies get this wrong (surely not possible) it won't be effective" is what dervdave says.

And that sadly is the deciding factor; whether it's done properly and works, or is'nt and it does briefly. £150 would get a lot of very good cleaning products etc, so the question remains; £150 on what I think is a good product, but is totally in the hands of the dealerships pro's or do it yourself; which method is likely to produce the best and long lasting result ?.

If you look at G3 Glasscoats web site; http://www.g-3glasscoat.com/products they sell aftercare products, e.g waterless cleaner, given that we're in the hands of the dealers would it not be better to spend £10.99 on the cleaner, and would it not have the same effect or does the cleaner "top up" the protection ?.

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - bonzo dog

the dealerships pro's or do it yourself; which method is likely to produce the best and long lasting result ?.

I know who I'd rather trust to apply it properly to MY car!........ Me!

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - final update. - Bigdaveg

Nearly a month on, and a bit of experimentation and imho I would say; don't pay the BARGAIN price of £150 to get your Nissan Glasscoated, polish it yourself the old fashion way, not only will it be alot cheaper but it will look better, because "you'll" be doing it.

Meguiars Scratch X2 to remove blemishes <£10 anywhere

AutoGlym Super Resin Polish (new formula) <£11 for 1 litre on ebay

AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection <£7 on ebay

A couple of quid on microfibre rags = £30 in total.

Glasscoat is touted as lasting for 5 years and I have no doubt that it will probably go the distance IF CORRECTLY & PROFESSIONALLY APPLIED, there are good, ok and bad dealerships dare you take a risk or do you polish the car yourself & save yourself at least a ton. The dealer I dealt with left dried water marks, light scratching and easily treatable blemishes untreated and then applied the coating on top.

I've compared glasscoated to my own efforts (using the above products), with the help of a neutral & unsurprisingly the diy/cheap option was better..

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - final update. - Bigdaveg

Amendment to above posting (tried to edit but got timed out:-(

For those who like polishing their cars or for those that want the best end result, there is no doubt that elbow grease and decent cleaning products will get the job done.

Glasscoating is a ceramic protective coating and in truth it is'nt meant to produce a draw dropping final finish, however once applied any future polishing will negate the glasscoat, i.e you'd have wasted your £150 if you decide to polish it.

Glasscoat would however be of great benefit and help to those who are unable (disabled & oaps etc) or those who just don't like cleaning a car, as once applied all the car needs is a wash.

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - final update. - Cleandetail

It would seem that no one actually has a real idea of this product?

G-3 glasscoat is a Ceramic Sealant. Once its on your paint the only way to get it off is to wet sand it, or use a high abrasive polish applied by Machine.

Any other sealant such as SupaGuard, Autoglym Lifeshine, Pureguard etc etc are all polymer sealants. These only sit ontop of the paint to protect the surfaces underneath. if you use the wrong products it can be washed off in only 2-3 wash's where G-3 Glasscoat cannot.

Its also important to note that G-3 Glasscoat is applied to ALL surfaces, so that’s paint, plastics, non colored plastic, windows, wheels etc and is the only product in the UK to warrant against bird lime damage. All the rest do not.

And as above regarding Products. Products like Autoglym Super Resin polish contain fillers, as do many others on the market. These only cover up issues in the paint but after a few wash's actually get washed out of the paint and reveal all the marks which you thought were gone.

I'm the only UK Approved Detailer to apply G-3 Glasscoat. I don’t work for them nor make money on the product but use it as its the best paint protection system to date. if you have any questions or for more info please ask.

You can also see step by step write ups of cars i have applied g-3 glasscoat to.

www.mobile-detailing.co.uk/ceramic-paint-protectio...p

the latest write up can be found here:- www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=28...9

Thank you for reading.

Edited by Cleandetail on 21/11/2012 at 00:26

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - final update. - Avant

We don't normally allow free advertising but I'll let you have this as you are replying to people criticising the product (albeit some monrhs ago).

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - final update. - thunderbird

I'm the only UK Approved Detailer to apply G-3 Glasscoat. I don’t work for them nor make money on the product

So you are a charity then.

If you believe that you must be as daft as anyone who pays loads of money to have a pointless treatment put onto their cars for loads of cash.

Stick with a good polish twice a year, its worked for me in the past and will continue to do so in the future, of that i am 100% certain.

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - final update. - lordwoody

"silly children or women spilling drinks and such"

The spirit of male chauvinism lives on I see.

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - final update. - Cleandetail

You can believe what you wish. The facts are in front of you. I make my money on the prep. The prep is what makes the product and is why I advise dealers on application when they need it.

Just because something in the past has worked does not mean it’s the most cost effective and most productive way of doing it. Polishing a car twice a year is all well and good. But it contains fillers so its counder productive, they wash out after a few wash's but more importantly you are applying no protection. A polish is just that, it’s a sealant & wax that protect the paint.

I'd suggest a good read on the forum "detailing World" It will give you all the advise you need.

Times change, products get better and there are more productive ways to do things. I know, i do this for a living and work for dealerships as they can’t get the same standard of finish i do.

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - bear807
Just get yourself some detailing kit to do it

Here is what to get:

-Clay bar
- water spray bottle
- Autoglym super resin polish and extra gloss protection
- tub of collinite wax
- microfiber cloth

The collinite wax has a very good price cp and the durability is superb!
Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - skidpan

Used Turtle for years then discovered Autoglym.

Used Autoglym for years then discovered Meguiars.

Been using Meguiars Gold class now for about 7 years, its superb,reasonably priced and very economical in use. Polish car twice a year and even after 6 months its still beading water. Takes less than an hour to do the car using their pad to apply and mutton cloth to polish off, no dust either.

Used Meguiars clay bar on one car that had contaminants on the paint. Worked a treat but very time consuming, strangely theraputic though.

Lifes too short to spend days cleaning your car, they all look the same once driven down a dirty lane. Last car I had looked new after 5 years using only Meguiars.

And I don't work for Meguiars, I just buy it from Halfords.

Edited by skidpan on 21/11/2012 at 13:25

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - Cleandetail

You can not beat Collinite for the money.

I have a wax collection for customers to choose but yet Collinite, around this time of the year is out more than the rest.

My most expensive wax is Swissvax Crystal Rock at £800 a tub, but yet Collinite is better in winter.

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - Trilogy

You can not beat Collinite for the money.

I have a wax collection for customers to choose but yet Collinite, around this time of the year is out more than the rest.

Is that Collinite 476S or 915?

Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - bear807
Some say 915 last abit longer, easier to apply and smells better, I think the ultimate value is still 476 because is almost 9 quid different. I owned the 915 and is a very satisfying wax, the durability last up to 4-6 months, this wax when dried up is hell hard to remove. The 915 has a better finish on darker cars too!
Nissan Note - G3 Glasscoat - Cleandetail

Has to be 476s for me. Everytime.