Peugeot 307 - Warranty rights on a used car that has broken down - harryfox

Hi,

I recently bought a Peugeot 307 HDI 55-plate with 90K miles from a trader in south Wales approximately three weeks ago.

Everything was fine until last night, with four people in the car, the driver's front suspension coil shattered and took out the tyre and ABS cable too. Having eventually gotten it to a garage for repairs, they insist that the other side's coil needs refitting as well. They also mentioned that the nearside tyre was illegal and should be changed.

I was assured that the car came with a three-month warranty, however looking back through the paperwork, the only mention of this I can see was "Warranty: Axle, Gearbox and Engine" handwritten over the top of the invoice for the car by the trader.

Is this normal?

Would this breakdown in your opinion mean the car was of 'unsatisfactory quality; under the Sale of Goods Act?

Is their "warranty" legal?

Do I have any other rights?

I know suspension coils do sometimes just 'go', but it really is disappointing and concerning that this should happen so soon after buying it, especially with 3 of my colleagues in the car at the time!

Thanks for any advice,

H

Peugeot 307 - Warranty rights on a used car that has broken down - gordonbennet

One of those things i'm afraid when a spring breaks, sods law says the tyre that got damaged was good un....springs best changed in pairs, the ns tyre maybe you should have noticed before this happened.

PSA group cars do seem to have a habit of ripping tyres apart when springs break, i believe C3 was known for this, there might be a modification in the form of a cup to prevent the bottom of the spring from getting to the tyre, but couldn't tell you exactly what's involved.

Peugeot 307 - Warranty rights on a used car that has broken down - bonzo dog

approximately three weeks ago. ....... Everything was fine until last night ..... the driver's front suspension coil shattered and took out the tyre and ABS cable too .....mean the car was of 'unsatisfactory quality; under the Sale of Goods Act

Yes.

If the car (even a 7 year old 90,000 mile Peugeot) has this type of failur after only 3 weeks you should be able to request a repair, refund or replacement

Good luck

Peugeot 307 - Warranty rights on a used car that has broken down - pd

Suspension bits are difficult to argue on a 90k car - dealer can just argue parts have worn through age and mileage and/or you drove it into a big pothole.

If the engine had blown up you'd probably have good cause for a claim but springs, tyres, brakes etc. are very difficult to argue out.

Peugeot 307 - Warranty rights on a used car that has broken down - harryfox

If I decide to argue it, what avenue should I go down?

The dealership have already said that it's not covered under their warranty after I rang them on the day it happened.

Would I have to take legal action? If, so what do I quote? Sale of Goods, in that it is not of satisfactory quality?

I have done some googling and it is always split 50:50 between people who say something like, "yes, under SoGA you effectively have a default warranty for six months, go and fight it!", and those that say, "nope, this wouldn't be a go-er, tough luck".

confused.

Peugeot 307 - Warranty rights on a used car that has broken down - Armitage Shanks {p}

I can't find the link to one of HJ's FAQs on this subject but from memory it is something like this. If some thing goes wrong with a car within 6 months of sale it is up to the dealer to prove that the fault was not present when the car was sold. There may well have been a fault, with the spring, but how could you or the dealer have known that? In any event the spring was not broken when it was sold, fault present or not, so I would have thought you would have a hard fight to prove laibility and get compensation.

Peugeot 307 - Warranty rights on a used car that has broken down - pd

It is very difficult to argue out things like suspension, brakes, batteries, exhausts, clutches etc. on a NEW car warranty let alone on a 90,000 miles 7 year old car.

Nearly all of them come under "wear and tear" clauses.

Yes,the SoGA makes statements on faults but if you read the detailed guidelines it also says used products will have wear and tear, will cost more in repairs and maintenance and cannot be expected to be as durable or reliable as new goods on a sliding scale depending on how much wear and how old they are. It is this last bit people forget to put on websites.

If you wish to take any further action you probably need to get some proper legal advice but as it is fairly clear it wasn't broken when you bought it and it has done nearly 100k miles I think it is a hard one to argue.

Peugeot 307 - Warranty rights on a used car that has broken down - bananastand

According to HJ's FAQs, or, if it's not there, it's in his column on Saturdays, the onus is very firmly on the dealer to prove it wasn't there before. You don't have to prove that it was. Where the argument falls down is if you paid £2000 or less for a banger. Common sense kind of takes over there.

Ring trading standards and if you are lucky you will get someone who knows what he's on about.

Consider also the trader. Will he come round with his mates to give you a slap? Or not?

If all looks well, the next step is a recorded delivery letter. TS will give you a template for it if you're not sure.

Never trust a solicitor who begins a sentence with "now, I'm no legal expert, but..."