Smart Fortwo (451) Cdi 54bhp - Wheel Alignment Caster out - Grease_monkey

Hi Guys

Had the front pads and discs replaced yesterday and it was noticed whilst the tyres were off the car that the inner edge of the tyres were thiner than the rest of the tyre. Today i took my car to a autocentre by me who have a Hunter Alignment machine and had the alignment checked. The Toe was considerable out of adjustment but the machine brought up another concern and that is Caster is more than 30 minutes between left and right.

Front Left: 5 Degrees 45'

Front Right 6 Degrees 20'

After Adjustment the Toe is now spot on but the Caster had stayed the same (not adjustable)

Obviosly there is something wrong with the suspension (somethings bent or worn)

My question is, is there a common part of the suspension on a smart that wears out prematurely that would cause the Caster to be out?

The car is still under warrenty with Smart but if it's wear and tear this is not going to covered under warranty and i do not want to pay there huge labour charges!!

Simon

Smart Fortwo (451) Cdi 54bhp - Wheel Alignment Caster out - Peter.N.

Hi Simon

Its very unusual for the caster angle to be out but it could be caused by damage, it probably means that one wheel is slightly further back than the other. The tracking should cure your uneven tyre wear but unless the caster error is affecting the handling of the car I wouldn't worry about it.

Peter

Smart Fortwo (451) Cdi 54bhp - Wheel Alignment Caster out - bathtub tom

What's the tolerance of the castor?