vauxhall zafira 1.6 52 plate petrol - problems doing pedal test - assistantCJ

I tried to do the pedal test then use the radio as suggested to see if i could establish what the fault with my car is.

so far I have replaced a lambda sensor and fitted a blanking plate to rule out egr valve problem and put redex in with the latest fuel fill up

the symptoms are stalling when slowing down

erratic driving sometimes losing power completely and car goes into limp mode (pretty scary when you are on the motorway)

fuel gauge suddenly drops before the erratic behaviour then goes up again.

when it stalls doesn't want to start again for a while.

sometimes when in idle the rev counter vascillates up to 2000.

also the fog light indicator sometimes lights up when the indicator is on or when in reverse

all the problems are inconsistent.

the crank shaft sensor has been suggested but as I can't do the pedal test or the radio test i can't be sure. when we ran the diagnostics on the computer the only fault code was for the lambda sensor- which was not necessarily the problem and sertainly not the only problem.

i really want to avoid costly main dealer charges

any ideas?

as for the pedal test- the lights go out and there is no flashing light at all.

as for using the radio I am struggling to identify the settings button and the BC button

vauxhall zafira 1.6 52 plate petrol - problems doing pedal test - bathtub tom

>>fuel gauge suddenly drops before the erratic behaviour then goes up again.

>>also the fog light indicator sometimes lights up when the indicator is on or when in reverse

They would suggest an earthing or other electrical fault to me. Sorry I can't suggest where you start looking but dashboard/bulkhead may be an idea.

How long have you had the car, when did the problems start, was it after any other work was done?

vauxhall zafira 1.6 52 plate petrol - problems doing pedal test - assistantCJ

The problem started almost immediately after i bought it a month ago. it is always worse when the engine is warm. The guy i bought it from is not interested. as far as i can tell no other work recorded recently in the paperwork.

I have taken it back to mechanic today and asked him to check the wiring in the dashboard.

vauxhall zafira 1.6 52 plate petrol - problems doing pedal test - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

Check the main engine earth-strap first! It's probably hidden under the battery. Just that I've heard of the earth strap on some cars causing problems, especially if the engine has been rocking about due to a broken engine mount.