Want A Quick, Economical, Sporty Car[£5000 Budget] - VanGuard666

Hey guys. As the tittle states, I am looking for a fast, economical, sporty car for around £5000.

The car needs to be:

1. Good looking.

2. Less than 7 years old (2005 - Present) and fairly well spec'd

3. Economical

4. Sporty

5. Fast (Quick)

6. Ideally be a diesel (But petrol will be considered)

7. Less than £5000

I am 22 so insurance is some what of a problem. Therefore, BHP should be less than 150 / engine size less than 2.2

The only cars I can find are Astra 3DR SRI, Volvo S40 2.0D Sport, Saab 9-3 Sport, Focus Sport, Fiat Punto 1.9 Sport etc.. I am running out of ideas.

I would therefore appreciate any suggestions.

I look forward to your replies. Thanks!

Want A Quick, Economical, Sporty Car[£5000 Budget] - unthrottled

A Skoda Fabia VRS fits criteria 2-7. It has looks only a mother could love, and might be slightly on the small side. Suspension components aren't the best, and the door seals are prone to letting water in.

But,

It's nippy, comfortable (in the front at least), and is a fantastic motorway cruiser, and pulls hard even in top gear. Even a hooligan can get 50mpg from it. I once set the cruise control to 50 mph and the fuel confuser indicated over 80mpg for mile after mile. I can believe it.

No ECO-actiV, Intelligent-Variable gibberish-just an efficient vW 1.9 ASZ mated to a small body.

Hi. Thanks for the quick reply.

My cousin has a Fabia VRS (2004 model) and I really like it. However, looks wise it's not the greatest, I prefer the new shape but obviously my budget will not allow for such a purchase.

I am 6 Feet 4 inches and therefore my current car (VW Golf Mk4) is relatively small for me.

So I think the Skoda may just be a tad too small.

Are there any other cars you can think of sir?

Once again thanks for your reply.

I am 6 Feet 4 inches and therefore my current car (VW Golf Mk4) is relatively small for me.

Really? I'm not as tall as you, but I've never found the Golf to have a cramped driving position or lack of headroom. In fact, I think the Golf has more room up front than the 9-3 which feels very claustrophobic.

Sounds like you're looking for a fullsize car (Mondeo size etc.). But you must realise that a full size car will be slower and thirstier than a midsize one with the same engine-and don't like tthe marketers tell you otherwise!

Hi. I can fit in the Golf but my legs have to be wide apart and hit the side consoles/trim and my legs ache after a long journey. Headroom is fine in the gold. Just leg room even with seat pushed all the way back and pumped low tothe ground.

So yes Ithink a full size car is what I am after and totally agree that the same sized engine on the full size willn o doubt be less powerful and slower and thirstier.

The 9-3 felt like it had enough room when the seat was pushed right the way back.

Some of the Vectras look nice and sporty but I have heard and read that they are bad cars? Mondeos look okay in Sport/Titanium trim.

Edited by VanGuard666 on 27/04/2012 at 14:25

Want A Quick, Economical, Sporty Car[£5000 Budget] - Bobbin Threadbare

Skoda Octavia then! They're not bad looking, 'full size' car, they're reliable and you will fit in the car.

Skoda Octavia then

Has Avant hacked into Bobbin's account?

No - but I cannot suggest the diesel version of my own car! Also, having been in the same position as the OP and looked at diesel Audi A4s and the like and been disgusted by the insurance costs, I found the Octavia to be similar to my Mazda.

Want A Quick, Economical, Sporty Car[£5000 Budget] - balleballe

for reasonably quick, sporty and lowish on insurance; i'd go for a mazda 6

I Know what you mean about leg room - I had a mazda 6, now have a mazda 3; but i miss the interior room of the mazda 6.

Their diesels suck though; so it has to be petrol.

Mine was a mazda 6 2.0 litre petrol auto - it did around 39mpg on a run and 27 in town

My 'newer' car is a mazda 3 2.0 litre manual (same engine) - does around 42mpg on a run and around 32 in town

Yessss - someone who isn't me has suggested it!!!!

Leg room is not a problem for me obviously.

Want A Quick, Economical, Sporty Car[£5000 Budget] - jamie745

Leg room is not a problem for me obviously.

Shrimp

:P

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies.

I really like the look of the Octavias (2005-Present). having a look on Autotrader, there are some VRS's, 1.9, 2.0 TDI's and 2.0 Petrol Turbos... What engines would you recommend for the Skoda?

In terms of the Mazda 6, I don't think the older version looks as good as the new revised model but it is still a great car and I have never heard a bad word about Japenese cars in terms of handling and reliaiblity. What engines would you recommend for the Mazda?

My dream realistic car is the Mazda RX8...but by the time I can realisticlly afford to run that car they will be looked as old... too bad the running costs are through the roof..and they stopped production due to emmissions etc... what a car!

Back to the topic at hand, are there any other 'fast', 'good looking' saloons around?

Edited by VanGuard666 on 27/04/2012 at 17:43

Vanguard:

RX8 - I also like those; they appeal to me from a scientific point of view because of the crazy rotary engine. They are very cheap to buy but you'll be paying all the savings out in petrol and VED!

The Mazda petrols are all well-received; mine is a manual 1.8L but it goes like stink. I can summon a decent amount of performance from it and it handles like a much smaller car. Like you, insurance costs were a large factor for me as I was 26 when I bought it.

I like the look of the Honda Accord:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20121245826...p

Quite a nice beast. Again, Japanese. Toyotas are bombproof too. My husband is 6ft 3 and he runs a Toyota Celica. He gets surprisingly good fuel economy from it and it is fun to drive. Not bad insurance.

Jamie: I am not a shrimp.

I'd go for the 1.9 tdi on the octavia

Either the 1.8 petrol or the 2.0 petrol. I've only ever driven the 2.0, but people who have driven both dont think that theres much between them.

You can even pick up a new shape mazda 6 2.0 petrol for a tad over 5k

The RX8 is a beauty! I only managed something like 27mpg on a run though, thats the deal breaker for me

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies.

If only RX8 insurance was cheap, road tax didn't exist and fuel was really cheap. Oh well, I can keep on dreaming about an RX8 :)

The Honda Accord is a good looking car in my opinion. At the moment, the Accord, Octavia and Celica are top of my list.

I like the Toyota Celica. It is within my price range but insurance is quite expensive :(

(I will double check as this is an appealing car).

The idea of a 2 door / 3 door appeals to me but I want leg room and decent fuel economy combined with the sporty looks/drive. But then again one needs to make allowances to tick the most boxes.

Would the 2.2 Diesel Accord be the best choice?

I will be travelling less than 5000 miles a year so if the price difference between a petrol and diesel car was more than £1000, I should go for the petrol right? Also the DPF issue does not sound good.. £1000... ouch!

Edited by VanGuard666 on 27/04/2012 at 18:02

If you're doing fewer than 5000 mi pa then yes, petrol is probably your best bet. Then you're not running the risk of a non-regen DPF or unwelcome deposits building up.

I should have bought a diesel when I bought my Mazda - I was doing 30k miles a year then, near enough. But, I found that petrol cars were noticeably cheaper and so I could buy newer and more reliable vehicles.

The 1.8 petrol Accord is considered to be a decent car - there's some very nice sporty versions too within your budget. I am going to look on Autotrader and see if there's still a very nice red one on there that you might like....

Edit -can't find it. But I would be tempted by this one: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20121446092...p

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 27/04/2012 at 18:06

Hey thanks for the reply.

I saw someone posted that the new Mazda 6 was available in my price range. On Autotrader there are many new facelifted versions of the Mazda 6 which is great to see as they look fantastic.

Thing is, they are all high mileage, 70,000+

Are high mileage cars okay fi they have full service history or are you just asking for trouble when buying one?

Is the rule of thumb <60,000 miles? Most of the cars over 70,000 are ex-fleet/company cars which have beeb well looked after..

I await your replies.

I am really excited about all this car talk lol and cannot wait to go out and about next month and buy one of them... based on your recommendations of course :)

Thanks!

Personally, I have no problem with high milers. I bought my Mazda with 74k on the clock and it's rolling up to 103k very rapidly. Still runs superbly. Engines like to be worked. I would be more wary of a very low mileage vehicle that is say, 6 or 7 years old, as all sorts of cack could have built up in the exhaust, for example. Or it'll have been sat, collecting water in the sills or something!

I've had an ex-Motability Focus which had been very well cared for.

I sya go and test drive some - you won't know until you try. Also as you are so tall you need to be sure of having enough room.

I must also add, the stereos in Mazda 6s are Bose. I can't stand how tinny other people's car stereos are now....

That good to hear. My family has always 'inherited' ex-fleet cars starting with a Passat (We let it go with over 240,000 on the clock), Laguna (French electrics messed up the car) and the Saab 93 (190,000) which we traded in recently for a Nissan Qashqai.

A lot of people are way about high mileage cars but as long as it has all the history and has been well kept and used on the motorway it should be okay.

Hopefully all the things that might normally go wrong have done so in the previous owners time and they have fixed it.

Japenese cars are reliable and solid so I hope that if I choose a Toyota Celica / Mazda 6 / Honda Accord everything is okay *touch wood*.

I will keep an eye out on autotrader for deals etc but until my exams are over on the 16th May I will not be able to go car shopping :'(

I will keep you guys posted.

Once again I really appreciate all your help and knowledge sharing

<3

Edited by VanGuard666 on 27/04/2012 at 18:20

At 5000 miles p.a. why beat yourself up about fuel economy ratings?

The difference between 30 mpg and 40mpg over 5000 miles is about £260. The difference between 40 and 50mpg is about £160.

This will be dwarfed by your depreciation, insurance and other running costs.

The classic mistake is to save up for the dream car and not leave enough to run it. Next time you're stuck behind a mimser, have a look at what sort of car it is. The chances are that it'll be a pricey car (either new or a luxury one). Nothing sadder than an A4 3.0 TDi tootling along at 40mph. We can only hope and pray that the DPF clogs up in short order. :-)

The only reason I care about fuel economy is that I am a student at university. I will be working for 12 months as part of my degree starting from June so I need something to take me home to work and back and make other journeys.

I am not too bothered about it but nothing south of 30 MPG to be safe. I'm pretty sure that the tank of fuel will last me a week and a half or two weeks anyway.

But I really do like putting the pedal to the metal if you know what I mean. I'm no eco driver.

I will be getting paid for the 12 months but I do not want to use up all my pay towards fuel costs just yet :D (I'm saving that for the RX8 haha).

Well if it helps, Mr Bobbin gets over 30mpg out of his Celica ;-)

Oh sweet. That is good to hear.

Guys, what about an Alfa Romeo? 159? They look stunning?

How good are Alfas? I always hear... 'your not a car enthusiast if you have never owned an Alfa' etc.

Are they reliable?

Oh sweet. That is good to hear.

Guys, what about an Alfa Romeo? 159? They look stunning?

How good are Alfas? I always hear... 'your not a car enthusiast if you have never owned an Alfa' etc.

Are they reliable?

I love those - so unusual looking. Alfa do not have a reputation for reliablity although this is improving. They are very thirsty - have a read of some of the owners' reviews on this site! I would be concerned about the insurance on an Alfa - I found them to be very high and you're not going to get one with low VED except that little Mito.

Want A Quick, Economical, Sporty Car[£5000 Budget] - TeeCee

I love those - so unusual looking.

Personally I reckon it's one of the best-looking cars ever made - from the front. The boot area is a right dog's breakfast though. It looks "right" as an estate though, making it unique for that in my opinion as every other estate made looks like a design afterthought.

Can't help thinking that a hatch version with a Kamm tail would have been right on the money though.......

I test drove one fairly recently and immediately after a Mondeo. Handling at least as good if not better and lacked the harsh ride of the Ford. Like a magic carpet that goes exactly where you point it. Went like doodah off a stick too.

At the risk of sounding boring and unhelpful, I cannot emphasise enough that if you're trying to run a car on a budget, it is a huge mistake to spend much money buying the car.

You'll have a whale of a time in a £1500 Ford Focus 2.0 with £3500 sitting in the bank ready to be spent on fuel, tyres, and any sundry costs that might arise.

Sitting on a motorway at 65 in an Alfa with an eye on the fuel gauge is really no fun at all.

You'll have a whale of a time in a £1500 Ford Focus 2.0 with £3500 sitting in the bank ready to be spent on fuel, tyres, and any sundry costs that might arise.

That's true. I've done that!

The classic mistake is to save up for the dream car and not leave enough to run it. Next time you're stuck behind a mimser, have a look at what sort of car it is. The chances are that it'll be a pricey car (either new or a luxury one).

I keep seeing TTs driven like this.

Hi guys. I totally understand where some of you are coming from when your talking about budget and planning for expenses such as fuel.

I have been saving since I was young and am in a position to purchase a car outright.

I could spend more than £5000 but I see no point as I am the type of person to get bored of something and buy the next best thing etc. So I will change the car in less than 3 years for sure.

The reason I chose £5000 as my absolute limit is because it offers me the best choice/range in terms of quality, performance and spec. I want all the bells and whistles (don't need sat nav as my TomTom will do a better job and parkingsensors can be added later if needed). I would love Xenons but its very rare @ my price range and the cars I am looking at.

But I will look to spend much less than the £5000 if I find something I like for cheaper. A lot of the recommended cars can be purchased for between £3000 and £4500 anyway.

Insurance is a one of payment and I have factored that in already (<£1200) and finally fuel £70 ish every 1.5 weeks approx.

Edited by VanGuard666 on 27/04/2012 at 19:04

Want A Quick, Economical, Sporty Car[£5000 Budget] - Mike H

Back to the topic at hand, are there any other 'fast', 'good looking' saloons around?

"Good looking" is all a matter of opinion. The Saab 9-5 Aero can be got for peanuts, but with 250bhp (later ones 260bhp) and around 350Nm of torque, more than most diesels, it is pretty quick at 6.9 seconds to 60. And faster than a Ferrari from, I think, 50-70. Don't be put off by Saab's demise, there are plenty of self help forums and parts are readily available. My auto estate has covered 175,000 without missing a beat and with the same turbo etc. Your budget would get you perhaps a 2007-8 model with reasonable miles.

And Mr. Clarkson thinks well of them.

ducks head waiting for unthrottled and jamie to appear ;-))

EDIT: just read you requirements re BHP/engine size, but might still be worth looking at!

Edited by Mike H on 28/04/2012 at 10:50

Want A Quick, Economical, Sporty Car[£5000 Budget] - Avant

An interesting one - you want a lot for £5k but there's no reason why you can't find it if you try.

"The only cars I can find are Astra 3DR SRI, Volvo S40 2.0D Sport, Saab 9-3 Sport, Focus Sport, Fiat Punto 1.9 Sport etc.. I am running out of ideas." Are these the only cars you can find that fit your 6'4" frame? At your height comfort is crucial and rules a lot of cars out (surely including the Punto?).

I'm not a Vauxhall fan as I've never found one that I have enjoyed driving: but most of them do have a low seating position and might fit you. Volvos major on comfort and the S40 might suit you. Don't pay more for a diesel than for a petrol of similar age and condition, as your annual mileage won't make it worthwhile.

If I were you I'd look at a Focus, Octavia, S40 or Astra but first try one of each for size and make sure you can get comfortable in it.

You were born 60 years too late - a Standard Vanguard would have done you proud!

Edited by Avant on 29/04/2012 at 00:10

Hey. Thanks for your comment ^

I agree with you on the Punto... I thought it was an interesting prospect but thinking baout it..If my MK4 Golf is too small the punto will be of simialr size.

I am definetely looking for a Saloon.

Volvo S40

Mazda 6

Ford Mondeo

Honda Accord

Skoda Octavia

^ The above models are the ones on the top of my list. I would like eitheir a petrol/diesel as long as it is under £5000. Mileage can be anything to be honest as long as it has full service history etc.

Out of the above, are there any stand out models? The Mondeo got 5 stars from Parkers and the Mazda got a very good rating. The others faired very well too.

Any specific 'punchy, fast, economical' engines to pick from the above motors?

Edited by VanGuard666 on 30/04/2012 at 17:57

Funnily enough, I had almost exactly the same list as you when I bought my Mazda. It won because it was the cheapest to purchase and the cheapest to insure at the time (couple of quid in the insurance). I enver looked at a Skoda; I had an A4 in place but crappy condition for my money..!

The Mondeo is considered to be one of the best 'driving' cars around. They're very large and roomy too so it might be a good bet for you.

The mazda 6 is essentially a better looking, more reliable mondeo

Want A Quick, Economical, Sporty Car[£5000 Budget] - johncyprus
Another vote for the Mazda 6 1.8, I had one for a couple of years. Great car, almost as much fun to drive as the MX5.

Hey guys. Thanks for the comments.

My number 1 choice now is the Mazda 6. I have been looking on Autotrader every day to see whats on the market for sub £5000 and there are many on offer.

I am looking for the 2007- (facelift) model in TS2 form.

Ideally I would like the 2.0l petrol/diesel or the 2.2D.

Sport trim would be a bonus.

In terms of buying the car, all the cars are high mileage 80,000 +

I know service history is very important a nice long MOT... but in terms of electrical and mechanical inspection, would it be a good idea to arrange an AA/RAC vehicle inspection?

Both the AA/RAC state on their website they cannot use diagnostic machines and can only test electronics to a certain extent.

On that note, would dealers ever agree to this:

1. I agree to purchase the car if they take the car to Mazda on my behalf before I purchase the vehicle, to get a basic diagnosis done and if it passes..

2. I would put down a deposit if they agree.

3. I purchase the vehicle if the diagnostics come back clean (I would request official documentation) and pay for the cost of the diagnosis.

4. If diagnostics come back with faults, I walk away... and get my deposit back / request the dealer to fix the issues if any.

I await your thoughts.

Regards.

Want A Quick, Economical, Sporty Car[£5000 Budget] - Avant

If you want that size of car, the Mazda 6 is a good bet - but be sure to go for a petrol engine. There have been horror stories on here about the diesel, and Mazda have been reluctant to help.

What Avant says about the diesel 2.0l (and to some extent the 2.2), is correct.

But

The horror stories regarding the 2.0D and its DPF problems have pushed down prices considerably. If the driver has a bit of lead in their right foot (and it sounds like the OP does), then the DPF problems are not likey to occur-and it could be a cost effective option.

I doubt that many dealers would be willing to go through the hassle of conditional deposits and off-site inspections. At the age of car you're looking at , SOGA should be sufficient protection if you buy from a trader.

Hey guys. Thanks for the comments.

I have read many horror stories about the DPF and I am keen to avoid a £800-£1000+ repair bill!

So I will aim for a petrol as they are less complex and less prone to malfunction according to comments on this site and others.

The diesel/petrol versions are around the same price. Should this have an effect on which one I choose?

Also I do have a heavy foot and will be on the dual carriageway / motorway for some of my daily commute which is sub 45 minutes, but I suspect a lot of the time it will be stop/start town driving.

So just to double check, AA/RAC inspections for £150approx is not worth doing, same goes for the Mazda Diagnostics/Health Check?

The SOGA will help out and I will also try to buy from a 'RAC Inspected' garage.

I await your replies.

Regards.

Your small annual mileage says petrol to me.

Yey another Mazda club member......!

Yeah Mazda is the way to go. I have always wanted an RX8 and the Mazda 6 is the closest I will get to owning an RX8 lol...

Can anyone advise e on my previous comments regarding AA/RAC mechanical inspection etc?

Also, is there anything I should look out for when purchasing the Mazda 6? Any common faults etc?

Thanks.

Have a look for rust under the wheel arches. I have never had any on mine but this can be an issue. Check the boot catch - the one on my car is dodgy and this is also a noted annoyance. That's about it on the petrols. They can be headlight hungry but then so can a lot of other cars; my driver's side headlight tends to last a year and then blow. The other side doesn't die....! The alloys can go crappy - they can be prone to corrosion but I have looked into regrinding mine and it's really not bad price-wise. Obviously that isn't just a Mazda thing either.

Otherwise it's your standard stuff - check the upholstery and plastics inside. Have a sniff at the air con to test if it smells horrible as some filters might need doing. Have a look at the door sills (and all the rubbery bits) for mould or holes. Take the top off the oil filler cap and look for a sort of mayonnaisey stuff (if it's there do not buy it!). Same sort of minging goo comes out under the radiator cap if the head gasket is on its way out. Check all the fluids. What else....? Have a look at the exhaust to see if it looks rusty or wobbly. Have a look at the brakes and tyres. Obv. all the paper work. Have a look and see if the paint feels bobbly anywhere (or indeed, if it is scratched to hell anyway!) because it might have been resprayed. Have a look underneath for leaks. Windscreen for the traces of Autoglass' expertise!

Hi. Thanks for your comment. It was very informative and I have printed it out so I can take it with me when I go and see some cars.

In terms of petrol vs diesel and to settle the 'argument' once and for all...

Why should I go for a petrol instead of a diesel? [assuming they cost the same to buy and both the petrol and diesel models had full service history].

Can you guys list the reasons please because I want to be 100% sure that I am buying the 'best' version.

Thanks guys & sorry for the newbie questions

=)

//Edit. Wow was reading all the issues with the DPF (www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&...7 and www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=70841) I certainly do not want to pay £9000 for a new engine, clutch etc or every £500+ for a DPF...

Would a high mileage Mazda 6 still have DPF problems?

Edited by VanGuard666 on 04/05/2012 at 01:49

Ok, the diesel vs. petrol argument is based on fuel costs, mainly. You have to think about the type of driving you do and the distance. Have a read of Parker's article about it : www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/buying/2011/october/.../

It depends on the car; as the Parker's bumf says, it can require you to drive a diesel Fiat 500 for over 30k p.a. in order to break even with running a petrol one. Mpg difference can seem loads - 50mpg from the diesel, 38mpg from the petrol, but that's often only a couple of quid!

The issue of the DPF has arisen because people bought diesels with the expectation that it would save them money on fuel, but never got the DPF up to temperature on long or quick enough runs in order that the deposits would burn off/regeneration cycle would kick in. Thus, the DPF is damaged and they have to cough up for a new one. Cars like to be used - for either fuel, if the vehicle is not run often, water can build up in the exhaust and rust it. It needs evaporating by getting hot!

There are better checklists than mine but thank you - always arm yourself with information. I do this because there are still relics out there who believe that a woman cannot possibly know about cars. I enjoy the look on their faces...!

it can require you to drive a diesel Fiat 500 for over 30k p.a. in order to break even with running a petrol one.

If you assume that the twinair willl get its claimed 69mpg, then yes. Since very few people get more than 50 combined, the actual break even point will be much lower.

Mpg difference can seem loads - 50mpg from the diesel, 38mpg from the petrol, but that's often only a couple of quid!

This is a very good point. Fuel economy is not a very good measures because it masks big changes in consumption, and flatters small changes.

An increase in economy from10-11mpg doesn't sound a lot but saves a lot of money. Whereas an increase from 49 to 54 saves much less. Same fractional difference, but massive absolute difference in consumption.

A lot of people still go for diesel even when they know it doesn't make sense for psycological reasons. You never see the fuel that goes into your car but you are periodically clobbered for a bill for £75+ for something you don't see. For some people anything that reduces this painful experience is worthwhile.

Want A Quick, Economical, Sporty Car[£5000 Budget] - mark999

With £5k to spend I doubt a diesel would be new enough to have a DPF. I believe All the VAG 1.9tdi's dont have DPF but are amazingly economical and can be chipped with excellent results.

Hey guys. Thanks for the interesting comments.

Today I have been looking at the Honda Civic 2007- model, specifically the 1.8 V-Tec and the 2.2 i-CTDI (Recommended highly)... I can get a high mileage one for less than £5000.

All reviews seem positive but their have been posts about minor niggles and clutch etc.

Best of all the Civic 2007-2012 does not have a DPF! Get in!

As another Japanese car, would the Mazda 6 beat the Honda Civic in terms of all round package?

I await your replies.

Thanks.

The civic is more like the Mazda 3 in terms of size

The Mazda 6 would have to be compared to the accord

The CDTI engine doesn't have a DPF (civic or accord)

The mazda handles better and looks better, in my opinion

The Honda is a nicer ride and more upmarket - and as a result, would be more expensive

Hi. Thanks for the comment.

I was after a large hatchback/saloon because I am 6 foot 4 so I need a nice, spacious interior with good leg room.

I was reading Civic reviews and 6foot + people have said their is a good amount of room in the Civic..

Comfort, fuel economy and performance are high on my list, along with good looks.

I agree the Mazda 6 is very good looking. The Civic is okay looks wise.

Both receive excellent reviews... So I will have a sit in both, drive both and see which one I prefer.

But I think the Mazda 6 still wins.

Are there any other similar cars I should look at?

Edited by VanGuard666 on 04/05/2012 at 23:50

Both have their pro's and cons. Like you say - drive both and see which you prefer

The 'frog' civic is very spacious inside - i'd say in between a mazda 3 and a mazda 6

Both have their pro's and cons. Like you say - drive both and see which you prefer

What balleballe says. Drive them! I love my Mazda 6 and it drives well and fits stuff in, but I do have a friend who is 6ft 6 (his wife is 6ft) and he drives a Civic. He says it's ok. He used to have a Volvo and he reckons they have the most room.

Want A Quick, Economical, Sporty Car[£5000 Budget] - 1litregolfeater

Thats what we all want, a w**** in the bedroom and a slave in the kitchen.