08 2.0d DPF problems - yorksroyal
I have a new shape Mazda 6 TS2 2.0d, which I bought new in late March 2008. It has done about 10,000 miles in that time, and in mid December the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) light came on. I read the handbook which said it needed a long high speed run to clear the filter. In the 3 weeks since then it has covered over 600 miles on motorways on long runs and the light went out, which I assumed meant it had 'self-cleaned'. Yet on Sunday, the light suddenly came on but flashing and the 'check engine' light also came on, and the car had gone into 'limp mode' (which means I have no turbo) so it has gone to the garage, where they say it needs an oil change, filter change and the DPF system regenerated (at a cost of £250+).

They also said the service record computer on the car said this had happened before and a dealer had 'wiped the computer', even though I have never taken it to a dealer before. The long and short is that they won't do it under warranty (not exactly sure why, hoping to find out when I collect the car today), and when I rung Mazda UK to ask them about this they had no record of my car existing, and my VIN number was registered to a different registration number.

Has anyone else had to deal with this? How should I go about trying to get this covered by Mazda, as I can't afford the DPF system to crash every 10,000 miles / 9 months and cost me £250+? It would seem to me that this perfectly fits the description of 'not fit for purpose', so who should I complain to if I don't get a satisfactory reply from Mazda UK? Trading Standards?
08 2.0d DPF problems - Soupytwist
You might like to have a look at this thread :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=70...7

It doesn't necessarily answer your specific question but there's some useful info in there.

08 2.0d DPF problems - rtj70
What level was your oil at when the light started flashing? Was it near the X mark on the dipstick?
It was above the full marker, but nowhere near the X mark that everyone keeps talking about in the forum for old model.
Yours has the same engine (albeit detuned to make it less powerful but lower emitting)... the true new engine is out soon and is the 2.2 litre with a totally new/improved DPF system.
I've been told by the dealer that there is 'no problem with the DPF on [my] car' and therefore I have to pay for the oil & filter change and regen of the system. Apparently it was so coated with soot they had to change the oil and filter twice in order to clean it! This on a 9 month old car with a self cleaning DPF system which has been driven from Yorkshire to Berkshire & back (via Worcestershire) in the last 2 two weeks. This is a joke!
08 2.0d DPF problems - craig-pd130

Sorry to say, sounds like the dealer is talking tosh.

I'd ask them to explain why the dealer regeneration process requires two changes of oil & filter -- it should take 20 minutes, they just plug it into the diagnostic computer and let it run through a "burn" cycle.

Also, how do they know the DPF was coated in soot? Did they remove it and clean it out? It cleans by burning, not by washing oil through it ....

08 2.0d DPF problems - Captain Zetec

I agree craig-pd130. However, if the DPF was well bunged up it could increase back pressure and "blow by" past the cylinders significantly and hence contaminate the engine oil more quickly than usual. That said, I can't see there being a need to change the oil twice in quick succession. If the original oil was _REALLY_ dirty when they drained it and they suspected some sludge in the sump, perhaps some flushing oil would have been appropriate?

Why it blocked up so quickly is another matter entirely. If it's simply a matter of plugging it into the diagnostic computer and telling it to run a regen function for 20 mins, why don't mazda let you access that function through the dash and allow you to run it yourself?

When I raised the problem of the oil level with my lease company they initially said it was fine. Until I wanted to check who'd be liable if it did go wrong suddenly. At which point an oil change was recommended even though the level was one 1" above full.

So oil was changed just before Christmas after about 3200 miles since the 12500 service.

I still like the car though. But will be watching the oil level.

@ CZ -- I suppose they don't want people tampering with dealer diagnostic functions. It seems VAG and Vauxhall have similar dealer-only regeneration procedures.

However, it's a lovely thought that the car might display "DPF will regenerate in 30 seconds" then start smoking like a Mission: Impossible tape :-D
If you knew it was regenerating and didn't switch off then oil levels might not rise... I'd prefer that.

I still don't understand why the volume of oil in the sump should increase as the result of a regen. Surely if some extra fuel is injected at the end of the power / start of the exhaust stroke to raise the temperature of the exhaust it would all be burned (the whole point of injecting it). Why would it end up in the sump?

Do the effected cars suffer from some sort of fuel leak contaminating the sump oil?
Captain Zetec

I do not understand exactly how diesel injected on the exhaust cycle gets into the sump. But it does and is possibly related to failed attempts at regeneration. I know my oil levels were rising and so got the oil changed. Had only done 3200 miles in 5 months - often use the train for business now despite having a company car... I can still claim back the train fare and work on the train (or read, or watch a movie, etc.).

Didn't the dealer think it was strange? All I can say is that if Mazda think the level of oil rising in the sump is normal then they have an ultra pants design!!!

At least the leasing company backed you up, but I think they'll start asking questions if the short service intervals become a habit.

08 2.0d DPF problems - dmo
You need to carefully watch this extra volume in the oil - this can be a prelude to engine failure
In response to: "Didn't the dealer think it was strange? All I can say is that if Mazda think the level of oil rising in the sump is normal then they have an ultra pants design!!!"

I could not comment. But they acknowledge the oil level can rise. Hence the X on the dipstick which is a lot higher up than full. But the manual says never fill beyond Full as it can damage the engine. Hmmm.

and: "At least the leasing company backed you up, but I think they'll start asking questions if the short service intervals become a habit."

Not quite... they were backed into a corner to accept responsibility and would not so eventually said change oil. Which is partially a result for me if something happens now - I am the first being proactive and knowledgeable with this major lease company. They have other cars with failed engines apparently. And Nick on here has had major problems.

And in response to: "You need to carefully watch this extra volume in the oil - this can be a prelude to engine failure"

Which is why I contacted the lease company to put the ball in their court. They did try to say I'm not driving it right...blah blah. But I do long runs as well. And nobody (Mazda or Lease company said anything of this when ordered).

I have even redone my calculations to see if with my now lower miles (fewer personal miles) would I be better off with say a 2.0 Mazda TS2 petrol instead of a 2.0d Sport diesel. No.

Oh and I don't pay for the oil change. Company car.

Edited by rtj70 on 08/01/2009 at 22:58

I, however, do pay for the oil change, as I have a company funded car leasing scheme on which I decided not to take the maintenance package (instead of just taking the company car). My car has been on a number of long runs throughout it's short life, and especially in the three weeks preceding the engine power cutting out, which should easily have cleared the DPF. I have taken this up with Mazda UK who have allotted me a 'case manager', who will get a long letter from me when they get back to work after the weekend explaining my particular circumstances.

When I picked up the car yesterday I ranted at the guy in the dealer about it, pointing out that my 5 year old Astra had never had any mechanical problems, or my old common rail diesel Pug 206, and eventually finishing by saying, "...but as a person, not an employee of Mazda, you must think this is mad - it's 9 months old, broken, and has just needed a double oil and filter change".
To which he replied, "er... yes." Then tried to convince me it was fairly common on cars with DPFs and his friend's Passat had the same thing. Hmm... Still, was nice to get some confirmation that it's not just me who thinks this is stupid (and that I'm going mad).

I'll let you know how I get on with Mazda UK.
08 2.0d DPF problems - Kingtom
Hi All,
I am also a suffferer of this problem though I have been lucky for some time. My 06 Mazda 6 only had a problem after 77000 miles. In all this time I have never seen a DPF light come on and during my weekly oil check (sad but true) I have never seen the oil rise above the F mark. In fact, until 3 weeks ago I knew nothing of manual regens etc.
All this good futune came to an abrupt and unannounced end in early December. Without warning or the appearance of any warning lights the car lost power. This was 150 miles into a journey in which my average speed was at least 70 mph.
After being recovered and prodded by my local Mazda dealer, I was told that the car needed a new Cat and they want to shaft me £2500 for the privalage. Despite my protests, they maintain that this has occured due to me not performing manual regens!!
As a result of these comments, my lease company now say they will not pay the whole cost. How can I defend against? Is anyone have any joy from Mazda direct?
08 2.0d DPF problems - DP
Based on what you've told us there, I would have thought you'd have an excellent case under the fitness for purpose part of the Sale Of Goods Act. Whether your driving style / journey length is the issue or not, the car is surely incapable of carrying out the tasks it was sold to do. If that's the case and a court agrees, that's pretty much it as far as the law is concerned.

Were you warned before buying / leasing the car that your journey length or intended usage pattern could be detrimental to the longevity of the car's emissions control systems? Did anyone even bother to ask you what kind of journeys you made?

Just remember your contract is with the supplying dealer or lease company, not Mazda UK. If Mazda UK won't play ball, you need to go back to the supplier.
I have never seen the DPF light come on in nearly 16000 miles either. But as said above had an oil change just in case - I won't carry the can on this :-)

Went out for a longish blast last weekend on motorways and it should have done a regen if needed.

When I got my car back after the oil change it was around 1mm above full. Checking today 300 miles later it has risen by quite a few mm's more. Will be checking it.

The problem so I am led to believe with oil is related to regen starting on not having a change to complete. But as a driver you are unaware of the process happening so if you needed to leave the engine on for a bit you would.

One symptom of a regen is the fan staying on when you get out... but how often do you get out with the engine still running to hear the fan?
08 2.0d DPF problems - mazdaguy
RIGHT HERE GOES

MAZDA GUY NI SPEAKING WANTING TO HELP>>>>>>>> Ive worked in a big mazda dealership for over 12 years now so please listion and if I can help you out I will.....

The mazda dpf system isnt the only one out there at the moment. How every I have to admit that the dpf on the mazda 5 and 6 isnt the greatest but its all down to the goverment trying to make the world greener.

In our dealership I have not yet charaged anyone to have a look at the dpf system on there cars. Regeneration with the mazda computer takes anywhere up to 1 hour and over, you can cheak the carbon build up in the cat with our mazda computer and taking the cat off looking at it and trying to wash it out with anything isnt the smartest idea ive heard to date infact its not a very good one at all so that puts a line under that....

The mazda tech line in England is as useful as a chocolate fireplace trust me, Ive phoned them once or twice and just get told its the way the people drive.

We fight with them more than once a week to get them to pay for the system cheaked/regenerated and even the cats replaced for free.... 9 time out 10 we win no problem.. Sounds like your dealers are taking the hand out of you lot. However if you call in by phone or in person and start to tell me that your not happy with a bad attitude you will be met by me being just as smart. Ive had a guy in the past few weeks telling me that this is a problem he wants its fixed and he never want to see the dpf light come on ever again ********* HEADS UP THAT IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN *************
ITS MADE TO COME ON WHEN YOUR CAR STARTS TO REGENERATE
I know and understart that if it comes on and your 2 mins away from where your going it can be a pain just driving it to get the thing out (if it takes the computer 1 hour to do it at 2 and a haf rpm heads up it will more or likly take you car that time to do it by its self.

1. If the light comes on drive it dont stop it, if you keep doing this you will need to leave it in to you dealler. more times that enof needing a cat....

2. Don't keep calling the dpf system a problem, its make to do what it does.....

3. Be nice to your dealer no matter how annoyed of you may be a nice person that comes into see me gets treated well, a nasty guy gets treated like the a nice person / he / she is.......

I will be willing to anwser any of your questions..... but will not give my dealler name address or code so don't ask........... I need my dealership more than I need more friends with mazda 5s and 6s

Your truthfully
Mazda guy ni

Edited to remove some words that could be taken as offensive, Rob

Edited by rtj70 on 08/03/2009 at 23:00

You will be getting a letter soon marked engine overrun

Get you cars to the dealers this will help with the dpf systems trust me...

{Shouting turned down}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/03/2009 at 18:57

08 2.0d DPF problems - dieselnut
' 1. If the light comes on drive it dont stop it '

The system is not fit for purpose when the car dictates your driving style or how long you have to drive it for IMHO.
08 2.0d DPF problems - c1997
Mazdaguy
I had a Mazda5 last year and the engine overran very scary .Car less that 2 years old in and out of dealer(Tyres.Engine mount.Dpf)Had the car serviced on time told by dealer dpf was style of driving .Not told at time of sale of (FAMILIY CAR)that you had to drive it like Lewis Hamilton.Have now got a recal letter about engine overrun after trading the car in.Was told by dealer after engine overrun that it was style of driving.I think a recal means that there is a fault with Mazda5 and Mazda6 diesel engines.
You have it right, im not going to say fault but will say bad design for sure.

mazdaguy
Can you tell me how many mazda5/6 that there has been engine overrun on.I asked Mazda help line and dealer and got no answer.cheers
>>The mazda tech line in England is as useful as a chocolate fireplace trust me, Ive phoned
them once or twice and just get told its the way the people drive.

I assume dealers have access to a Mazda technical phone number. The general public do not, unlike with companies, like Ford who do run a premium rate number. I know because I tried this a few times with Mazda to get advice on my Mazda6 2.0d 143PS Sport (57 plate).

Although you've found how to put capitals at the start of sentences, your grammar and punctuation is still not great. Mazda has a capital M. And there is a thing such as an apostrophe, i.e. the '. Try to use it if you can. I assume you have a few stuck keys as some of the misspelling looks like missed letters.

Also all CAPITALS is considered shouting so please do not continue doing that or it's easier to delete your thread than to edit it - I'll leave it as is for now with all the errors. Although I will edit out the offensive word in point 3 in a second.

Also the light does not come on when it is regenerating.... thought you knew your stuff. It comes on and flashes if it needs regenerating and solid if it needs to be taken to a dealer. So do not post incorrect info or you may be responsible for a failed engine and turbo.

Thanks

Rob
Also the light does not come on when it is regenerating.... thought you knew your stuff. It comes on and flashes if it needs regenerating and solid if it needs to be taken to a dealer. So do not post incorrect info or you may be responsible for a failed engine and turbo.

I am sorry about that but I take it that you have read the book that comes with the car so didnt think that the we misstake by me not putting that the light flashs would mean Id be a fault for someones engine and turbo. I take it back the light flashes in regenerating and stays on with (if your car has) dsc and engine managment light comes on it it needs to go to a dealer.

Hears the thing good luck to all the people on this site that see fit to pick on a guys grammar, punctuation and spelling. Im not in school.

You guys want the truth, the car isnt fit for the bin why do you think Mazda have the new 2.2 engine out. PS looking at it today it seams to be the same as the ford transit lol how Mazda have moved on.

Enjoy your box hope it brings you all many long nights of no sleep.
You would also think an employee of Mazda would know the cars are in fact Mazda5 and Mazda6 and not mazda 5 and mazda 6. Notice that not only is the name spelt with a capital but also there is no space between name and model number.... Some expert.

There is course a Mazda2, Mazda3, Mazda5, Mazda6, Mazda MX-5, Mazda CX-7, Mazda RX-8 and Mazda BT-50 at the moment. Note some models have a space and others do not.

Edited by rtj70 on 08/03/2009 at 20:30

.>> You would also think an employee of Mazda would know the cars are in fact
Mazda5 and Mazda6 and not mazda 5 and mazda 6. Notice that not only is
the name spelt with a capital but also there is no space between name and
model number.... Some expert.
There is course a Mazda2 Mazda3 Mazda5 Mazda6 Mazda MX-5 Mazda CX-7 Mazda RX-8 and
Mazda BT-50 at the moment. Note some models have a space and others do not.

Its so nice that someone who has a clue on this is picked on for not putting/putting a space between the name and model of the car.

Have fun with your cars I can see why ur dealer makes you lot pay for it.

Some expert btw never said I was but your wellcome.

All so yes Rob we do have a different number Mazda technical.

Edited by mazdaguy on 09/03/2009 at 19:33

08 2.0d DPF problems - dpfmaster
Rob

Thought you were surposed to be a moderator for this site. (I am, Rob)

Think that just proves that you lot just want to put down manufactors and slag off dealerships. ( No we are not)

This mazda guy is talking sense in away.

When you get someone on the inside trying to help and spread a bit of knowledge then calling him for his grammer is prob not the best way of him helping you with any questions or problems you may have.

dpfmaster/dgdpfmaster

p.s You people who are thinking of going down the fit for purpose route havent got a cat in hells chance.

What was the Mazda6 (hope i have spelt it right) designed to do?

Edited by rtj70 on 09/03/2009 at 21:32

Thank you.
C1197

Im not meant to use the word fault but I quess the short of it is yes. Not just your old Mazda5 and others Mazda6's the over run is cased by your car running on what it have in the sump oil/diesel. Just like the Isuzu 3.0 tropper.

Hope that helps.

Edited by mazdaguy on 09/03/2009 at 20:38

Can you tell me how many mazda5/6 that there has been engine overrun on.I asked Mazda help line and dealer and got no answer.cheers

The truth again C1197 is that I don't know for sure i've had 2 in my place and have heard of just one more and then yourself making 4 that im sure off.
mazdaguy
Do you think that 3 or 4 cars is enough for a recal.
Just the one car in our place would be enough for a recal for me but im not sure if it would be for Mazda.
mazdaguy
I meant to ask you who tells you not to use the word fault.Is it Mazda?The head service guy at the dealership i went to was refering to(FAULTS)as issues.
Nail on the head there. Once a month we have a meeting with the mazda rep that tells our service team what not to say. The rule is the least said the more the better. To tell the truth Im in the same boat as yourselfs, I don't want people calling and stopping into our dealership with problems and have to bs them about. The old Mazda's don't give us problems. Even if I phone Mazda tech in England they tell us the same "we are having some issues with that".

Edited by mazdaguy on 09/03/2009 at 21:31

Hi dpfmaster/jjjjrt ty/dgdpfmaster

Whichever name you're really today, thanks for your comments. As a moderator I will edit your post above.

Again I will say I have a Mazda6 diesel with a DPF and really like it. So your comment about putting down the car and dealers are wrong. My local Mazda dealership is excellent and the best dealership of any marque I have used in about 15 years.

You and the "other" person have not posted 100% info. You posted in the other thread as if to help/advise and then turned to having a go at members.

For now your account stays... please be civil or I will not only close your account but publish your email address and mobile phone number if necessary for members to contact you directly instead of it being in this thread or any other.

Can we now go back to civil postings which help. This is a technical forum. If you are unable to offer real advice or at least be civil then please do not post.

As for what was the Mazda6 designed to to - it was designed as a very good car and is comfortable and great to drive. And it is a good practical car with plenty of space with very practical accomodation with the innovative fold-down rear seats.

Thanks

Rob
This is the "other" person talking thank you for your warm welcome to the site Rob.

I really have enjoyed talking to you. For anyone that has any problems with there Mazda6 diesels with DPF please feel free to contact Rob he seams to know more that the people who work on his car for him.

Rob please feel free to take my account off. As a guy that has worked on Mazda cars for over 12 years I thought that I may just be able to help someone with there problems.

Thank you and bye to all.

Good luck Rob
I do not know more than my local Mazda dealer and do not claim to. They have been very good and I have no complaint. When I had the oil change I was able to talk to the main technical person who was very helpful and knowledgeable. I would think this level of knowledge is similar everywhere because I find Mazda dealers to be very good. Excellent customer service for me so far.

If you vanish from here then that is your decision.

Rob

PS Your poor grammar and spelling is similar to the "other".
I have to thank you to. We do go on a training courses from time to time and we do try our best to help.

Im thinking the "other" thing is catching on lol liking it.

Not all DPF problems can be blamed on drivers / driving habits, nor can they all be blamed on faulty cars.

For example, VAG are having some problems with their DPF-equipped cars, which cannot be explained by drivers ignoring handbook instructions. There's some evidence that it seems to be a batch of dodgy DPF pressure sensors, as replacing this part effects an immediate cure.

Remember the large numbers of VAG MAF sensor failures? Or the VAG coil pack problems? These things happen, and manufacturers almost always initially deny there's a large-scale fault.

Speaking from my own experience, I usually know more about how my car works than the dealer service people. Not always. But usually.

So saying that dealers know best is not always right -- they often don't. And saying that owners are ignorant is not always right -- often they're not.
That is a very good point, ive never said that all the car I see is down to drivers. Nor have I ever said that I was right on every thing. Just a quick point id like to share with you lot.

Mazda6 (hope ive got that right) come in today with the dpf light on after 400 miles since we cheaked the car and regenerated the dpf ourselfs with the wds/vcm (computer)
Contacted mazda tech to advice them that id like a cat for this car as the regeneraton didnt seam to clear the cat fully. They told us to cheak the Bulletin No GG/086

Diagnostic Flow Chart For Oil Dilution

1. Proceed "Manual Calibration Update" on the MMDS via internet to ensure latest calibration files are available. Record type of current PCM-Calibration on check sheet. Confirm the current calibration installed to the PCM is the latest.

(No) Up-date PCM
(Yes)

2. Record PID "02S11_CAL" with datalogger and record value on check sheet. Does the datalogger Display "0"?

(Yes) Conduct 02-sensor learning with MMDS and record new value on cheak sheet.
(No)

3. Record PID's "FI_LRN_01" to "FI_LRN_03". Record the displayed values on the cheak sheet.

4.1. Conduct injector learning.

4.2. Are the values for FI_LRN_01 to FI_LRN_34 between -100 and +100?

(No) Record values on check sheet. Make sure the engine is in good machanical condition before replacing injectors that are out of specitication. (this is my wee note. If it isnt in anyway you allways say yes it is so at least you willn't be made pay for the injectors and just shy of £1000 each)

5. Read out all CMDTC's and record them on the cheak sheet. Are the P2458 or P242f stored?

(Yes) Delete all DTC's.

6. Change engine oil and conduct OILDIL reset. Fill in approx, valus and confirm oil level is 10mm above L mark.

7. Explain ideal driving conditions and reason for oil level increasing to customer.

Please make note of step 7. This is for you dpf system and to try and explain to you lot what the engine over run recall is. Engine over run is cased by your car running on the Diesel thats in the engine oil. Not to unlike the 3.0 trooper. In the most exstream cases you may not be able to stop the car reving as high as it likes till it blows up.

Ive a tranning thing to go to in the next few weeks on the new Mazda6 2.2 engine and the first question most of us will be asking im sure is "whats changed with the dpf system". When I find out ill post it. What I can say from even just pulling out the dip stick is that the x mark is now less than 5cm above the full mark, about the same distance as the low to full mark on your dipstick. This is a step in the good way that Mazda think that they can now get 12k miles between services with a smaller increase in oil.

********Please note this is the point of a guy that some people on this site thinks talks out off his rear. Its up to you if you wish to read it and is all so up to you if you want to beleave it. My very poor grammar and spelling may be somthing that you may wish to have a go at************

Good luck
08 2.0d DPF problems - galwaytt
Mazdaguy - not being a million miles from NI (see sig...), and having the 'other' RF series problem in my MPV, I have resigned myself to needing a new engine, but do need some kind of deal on one, pref incl fitting etc.

I think a short block, complete, is the answer, but the no's I'm getting are, well, mad !

Suggestions, recommendations ?

rob

All i will say is you wouldnt bay a race horse to pull a cart, so why are these people buying a motorway car to drive around town.

the fit for purpose is complete rubbish.

i know people that have done over 100k in these cars and they have never missed a beat.

the system works fine if the car is used in the way it was designed.

i carried out a test the other day and drove my car at 85 mph for nearly an hour, the vehicle was going through a regen at the time and averaged nearly 55 mpg.

will leave it at that i think

dave
08 2.0d DPF problems - 659FBE
It's quite evident from reading parts of this thread that the Mazda 6 diesels under consideration have a serious design defect.

Few people have the luxury of owning a vehicle for each type of duty - any reasonable car will operate as intended by its maker under all road conditions and nearly all cars do. If this vehicle is being sold as (the poster above puts it) a "motorway car" I would expect a non removable notice to be fixed to the dashboard explaining this limitation of use.

Likewise, a car design which dictates a certain style of driving following the illumination of some dashboard symbol is not safe. Driving style is the province of the driver who is hopefully influenced by road conditions - nothing else.

There is much inaccurate information in this thread. I'm not going to attempt to unpick it - but the threads written in the least good English tend to be the most inaccurate.

I have one car that needs to be used around town and on motorways. Some weeks I will do hundreds of motorway miles. Other weeks I don't. We cannot all have two cars can we ;-)
08 2.0d DPF problems - pat22090
Dave,

I've looked everywhere on the literature from Mazda, I can't find anything that says:

"Thankyou for purchasing your new Mazda motorway car."

In the delivery checklist under "Presentation & Explanation of Vehicle Features", I can't find an item marked "Drive at 85mph for an hour every week in order that the vehicle doesn't self destruct"

And under "Presentation & Explanation of Customer Services & Test Drive", I can't find the item marked "Explanation of need to drive at over 2k RPM for more than 15 minutes every week" or "Explanation of need to only use on motorways, and not in town"

When you can tell me where these are, then you have a point, until then you are trying to defend the indefensible!

And I will leave it at that!

PS. is breaking the speed limit sanctioned by Mazda, only I've got a court appearance coming up, it's a great defence!
I also find it odd that we're meant to drive these on motorways and the DPF will regenerate if driven over 2000rpm for 15 minutes or so.... so we're not meant to use sixth gear or we're meant to speed then :-)
the car can drive anywhere.
just a question, has any one taken there car to a dealership when the light has come on and asked them to regen it for them.

i have done this twice and never been charged.

i will state that i dont do alot of motorway miles and have 2 oil changes costing me £60 each.

my engine has never blown up so where is the design fault and i dont see the problem.

if you read these threads the only people that have a problem with this car are people who dont either look after them or have them serviced.

when this is the case its your own fault.

dpfmaster Got a Mazda 5 in April 07 had it serviced in April 08 cost £250 .Engine overran in December 08 got a recall letter in February 09 after trading the car in at a loss of £7000-£9000 in less than 2 years i think that you will find that a recall means that there is a fault
c1997

and why exactly are mazda not paying, you something about service history but what exactley is it?
dpfmaster The car had a full service history we traded it in at the end of December only to get a recall letter from Mazda about the Engine overrun .It was 6 weeks to late after the car nearly blew up we bought aMazda5 family car to keep it for 6 or 7 years but after the car nearly blew up while driving it i didn't want to drive it again look at the problems nick is having with his after repair.We have had to double or car loan because of a major fault whith an £18000 car.Since i got back onto Mazda we have now been told that we were doing the wrong type of journeys in what i would think would be a family car
08 2.0d DPF problems - deejay26

How do you know the vehicle was going through a regeneration at the time of this test drive.

I've had my third DPF warning since March, the first was cleared by a £140 regeneration at Newport Mazda, the second happened whilst travelling to Bordeaux, and cost another lump (it also needed replacement injector seals), and the third happened of the way back from Bordeaux, only about 200 miles after the second time.

Newport Mazda have advised that the latest occurence was because the car was stopped during a regeneration. They also advise that it could happen again at any time, and will have to charge for the 1 hour or so regeneration each time. There's no warning or indication that the car is regenerating, so is simply a matter of driving the car only for long enough distances to allow a complete regeneration.

I understand that a car like this is aimed a high milage users, but surely a short trip down to the shops shouldn't result in an interupted regeneration ?

I also understand why the DPF is fitted to cars - in response to government environmental targets. However, why is it that a car is fitted with a device to limit the emissions to atmoshere has to be driven in a uneconimical way, that in turn consumes more fuel ?

Did you really get 55 mpg at 85 mph ?

Edited by deejay26 on 25/08/2011 at 17:28

08 2.0d DPF problems - deejay26

How do you know the vehicle was going through a regeneration at the time of this test drive.

I've had my third DPF warning since March, the first was cleared by a £140 regeneration at Newport Mazda, the second happened whilst travelling to Bordeaux, and cost another lump (it also needed replacement injector seals), and the third happened of the way back from Bordeaux, only about 200 miles after the second time.

Newport Mazda have advised that the latest occurence was because the car was stopped during a regeneration. They also advise that it could happen again at any time, and will have to charge for the 1 hour or so regeneration each time. There's no warning or indication that the car is regenerating, so is simply a matter of driving the car only for long enough distances to allow a complete regeneration.

I understand that a car like this is aimed a high milage users, but surely a short trip down to the shops shouldn't result in an interupted regeneration ?

I also understand why the DPF is fitted to cars - in response to government environmental targets. However, why is it that a car is fitted with a device to limit the emissions to atmoshere has to be driven in a uneconimical way, that in turn consumes more fuel ?

Did you really get 55 mph at 85 mph ?

08 2.0d DPF problems - ducky

hi i changed the brake pads on my mazda 6 2.0d sport140bhp 2008 then when i drove of down the road the engine management light came on.then i turn the car off and it was of for about 8miles then s topped the car and when i got back in it came on again now it still on.is this anything to do with me changin the pads or sumthing els.the car has 72.000mils.

08 2.0d DPF problems - alc2405
Our Mazda 6 TS 2.0D 2008 reg broke down on Weds 280 miles from home. The AA were unable to help, towed to dealership. Turbo gone - £2000- Mazda won't cover the cost as the last service was 2000 miles over the 25000 service. The car has only done 33000 miles. This is obviously a problem experienced by others - did you manage to resolve the problem satisfactorily? In the meantime we are also having to hire a car at our own expense as Mazda won't supply a courtesy car. Really fed up with this..........
There is currently a recall on Mazda diesels for the turbo intercooler. Does not sound like this was your problem but may help build a defence.

I only found out when I went in today for the safety recall work and they mentioned the intercooler recall.

Edited by rtj70 on 27/03/2009 at 17:29

08 2.0d DPF problems - cj1000
The turbo has nothing to do with a dpf situation/ fault that others are reporting (two seperate systems).
Why did you phone the aa, mazda assist supply a free car for 48 hours if you contact them. Has your car had full dealer history (other that being over milage)? Have you phoned mazda customer services? (they may be able to assist you if they can not help you i would guess you have hit a brick wall)
08 2.0d DPF problems - the swiss tony
Mazda won't cover the cost as the last service was 2000 miles over the 25000 service. The
car has only done 33000 miles. ..... we are also having to hire a car at our own expense as Mazda won't supply a courtesy car.
Really fed up with this..........

And why should they pay?
You over run the service by nearly 10%... the motor trade isnt a charity - service intervals are set by the manufacturers for a reason, and it is made clear what will happen if you cant be bothered to abide by them - warranty cancelled.
Its hardly a problem getting a car in the workshop these days, on the whole dealers are very quiet, I have known cars be be serviced the same day a customer asks for a booking, the bad old days of having to wait over a week are long gone.
08 2.0d DPF problems - miata
If you own a car, any make any model, and choose not to drive above 2000rpm then i think it highly probable you will encounter all sorts of issues.

It would probably be better to use public transport.

There is no need to exceed speed limits you will discover that a lower gear will by magic keep the road speed down and again by magic acheive a higher engine rpm.

I for one dont want a six speed gearbox with todays traffic conditions. Five is plenty.
I think that a modern diesel engine is not going to be running efficiently or economically at a low 2000rpm.

Incidentally my Subaru Legacy Diesel has just completed 36000 miles in twelve months without any DPF issues or any issues for that matter.

In fact at its recent service the technician commented that it was in better condition for its mileage than a lot of other Subaru"s he sees with much lower mileages.
He asked me if i ever used the brakes as the pads were only 30% worn.

Be it right or wrong i am a firm believer in the addage " use it or you lose it" and as a motor vehicle is primarily a work horse it needs to be used.

Low revs stop/start short journeys tends to kill them.
Take a look at the ex fleet vehicles with starship mileages. Majority drive better and are in better condition than the school run/ shopping trolley cars.

Looking at all the posts regarding this issue and not just with Mazda there seems to be a common theme.
Lack of use.

But thats only my opinion and i think Mazda are resisting the claims as other manufacturers are due to this issue.

I believe a regular Italian Tune Up/ Drive it like you stole it approach may solve these problems............................
08 2.0d DPF problems - billyboy
I am the owner of a Mazda5 SportNav 2.0d registered 01/09/2008 and have also had a problem with diesel in the oil syndrome.
I have had an oil and filter done at 9000 miles due to the oil/diesel mixture in the sump nearing the 'x' mark on the dip-stick.
I am in contact with Mazda's customer service department regarding what I consider to be a major flaw in the design of its power plant.
I have been driving for 36 years,25 years in diesel vehicles and consider the DPF to be a very retrograde step!
Having waited a month for a reply from Mazda I too am being told about "the vehicle being utilised in the manner it was designed for" a glib expression which I will be turning to my advantage as I do exactly that.
It is now 15.45 on bank holiday Friday and I have once again made an unsuccessful attempt to contact the author of the reply from Mazda-I have just booked a test drive in an S Max. Why? No DPF!

Edited by rtj70 on 22/05/2009 at 19:23

If it's a diesel S-MAX are you sure it has no DPF? I thought they too now use DPFs.

Edited by rtj70 on 22/05/2009 at 19:24

08 2.0d DPF problems - billyboy
I was told by the dealership that they dont have them,however I am now informed that as of model year 2009.5 they do.
I am looking at the 2.2/175 which is a single turbo version of the PAS unit. This uses a PAF system which doesn't put diesel in your sump or at least my previous 407SW didn't.
08 2.0d DPF problems - jcc48
Purchased '56 reg Mazda5 Furano 2.0D in 9/08 with 15.5k miles, went for 'over run' software update to local Mazda dealer, Technician who I know suggested oil & filter change due to high dipstick level, in depth discussion with him & service mgr re DPF & fuel in sump oil. I have 50 years diesel experience & have run Mazda's for 20 years with great service from previous Mazda diesels. Wrote to Mazda UK to state any diesel in sump oil is lethal as oil viscosity & composition is radically changed so engine components put under stress due to bad lubrication, turbo failure prabably first as furthest from oil pump & high temperatures - oil/diesel mix will not lube turbo bearings, secondly cam lobes, main & other bearings probably next plus bore wear by poor lube to piston rings, DPF regen injects fuel at exhaust stroke, not all fuel travels to 'burn off' in DPF/Cat & balance passes piston rings to finish off in sump! - what the build tolerence is to allow this I do not know but it sounds pretty awful. Tech at dealer agrees all this privately but has to protect his job. service mgr now very defensive quoting driving style etc. My car now has oil level above full mark after less than 500 miles from their oil change. I told Mazda that these additional oil & filter changes are environmentaly bad & substantially increase running costs. Usual standard reply trying to state (same quote in 2 replies) that sump levels go up & down due to diesel evaporation - has anyone known diesel to evaporate at normal crankcase temps, you need really high temps for diesel to evaporate & anyway it is fully mixed with oil! This is a major problem which they know will cost a bag of money to fix. Engine life now zero compared to what you would expect from a diesel (250k miles plus) normally possible, we are being taken for a ride by a badly designed system, injecting fuel at exhaust stroke is technically all wrong, DPF should be burnt off by a better solution. See you can now get a modified exhaust downpipe for a VW Golf which diposes of the DPF - someone please design one for the Mazda RF diesel engine quick before we get to diesel engine melt down.
08 2.0d DPF problems - pat22090
I had the same problem (aside from the obvious design fault) where the level was rising significantly even with the 'correct' driving style. After numerous visits to the dealership with no faults found, they eventually diagnosed 'injector 2 over fuelling' May be worth them checking this?
08 2.0d DPF problems - oilrag
It would be interesting to have oil samples checked for viscosity on cars that have been in a time or two for `fluid extraction`
That could then be compared with the viscosity the car is actually supposed to have in the sump.
I think if I were stuck with one of these cars with rising sump fluids (can`t really call it `oil` can you?) - out of warranty - every time it reached the overfull mark I would drain it off using a vacuum device to a litre below minimum and then top up with a litre of Mobil 1 15w-50 fully synthetic (note the 15w50 motor sport and not 0w40)

Now - I`m not a tech or engineer - but that would seem at least to give a sporting chance of keeping the viscosity descending to the level of light machine oil - between oil changes that is, which are surely going to be needed much more frequently.

Edited by oilrag on 01/06/2009 at 15:10

08 2.0d DPF problems - oilrag
Just to add - `not very scientific` of course to bulk up the oil with a higher viscosity. But neither is a design that seemingly lets derv widdle into the sump - reducing the standard viscosity by another `not very scientific` margin.

Surely an oil labs results could be used as evidence in engine damage cases?

Edited by oilrag on 01/06/2009 at 15:20

08 2.0d DPF problems - gordonbennet
I think if I were stuck with one of these cars

There's more chance of me and thee being on first name terms with Her Majesty Oily...;)

I can't believe just how poor some of these 'quality' modern cars are.

So often here i read statements from various posters extolling the virtues of this super technical modern stuff, how much better/more reliable they are etc...the mind boggles.
Re my Mazda5 Furano 2.0D. The RF diesel engine in the Mazda6 & Mazda5 is very oil specific, it has to be 5W-30 suitable for DPF systems otherwise the whole system breaks down. sucking out a litre & adding more oil is not the answer as you still have a diluted oil you are adding to. My friendly Mazda tech did hook up his lap top to check for an injector leak as they have found this can be a problem, he reported all was OK. Remember this is not just a Mazda problem, our local Citroen garage told me that models fitted with a DPF system cause problems and Citroen will pay for one repair only on warranty and then you are on your own, VAG engines are having turbo failures & Volvo now state on a website that their 1.6 & 2.0 litre (Ford supplied) diesel engines are not suitable for short journeys. I strongly believe that the rush by Brussels to impose emmissions control and this hang up with UK Road Tax duties has forced manufacturers to find a short term solution (the DPF) which we are all going to pay the price for. Injecting diesel at the non combustion stroke of an engine is complete nonsense as fuel ends up in the sump. It is possible because of the Common Rail System & computer controlled injectors (not possible with the old & trusty mechanical injector pump). They should have designed a DPF 'burn off' with fuel injected into the exhaust manifold or somewhere away from the cylinder/pistons and then diesel would not get in the sump - in a letter from Mazda they state that fuel does get to the sump from this process by passing the piston rings!. Being pessimistic about this whole issue, I foresee many engine problems developing from this current system and subsequently affecting the used values of DPF fitted cars. I purchased my car as a long term investment to do big mileage which is what all my previous diesels have done - am I now in possession of a 'Dog' which is nothing to do with me but all to do with the manufacturer & Brussels? A car should be capable of short, mixed & long journeys it is means of transport and has been for 150 years, having to do exactly 2000rpm for 10 to 15 minutes every few days to suit the DPF management software is hardly environmentally sound (I have to do a special journey for this most times), neither is oil changes every few thousand miles, plus the life expectancy of this engine/car is more than likely halved. I bet I would be more kind to the world if my car did not have a DPF as on balance the cost of fossil fuels used with a DPF engine is more long term than without.
08 2.0d DPF problems - ianjoh
I think you have hit the nail on the head! There needs to be a public awareness campain for everyone to avoid buying any DPF Diesels until a properly engineered solution is found.
Has any manufacturer given emission data during a DPF 'burn off' - I certainly would not fancy following one.
Although I love diesels I will need to think hard about my next car when my 180k Hdi dies, a petrol with LPG conversion is looking very appealing for its relative simplicity and reliability, only I am unable to find an estate with LPG and 7 seats!

The DPF burn off will give a little extra hydrocarbons but mostly carbon dioxide and water. The tiny quantity of ash left behind after "coking" the soot mostly stays trapped in the DPF.

While it is certainly wrong that certain manufacturers have foisted dodgy DPF systems on drivers, and very annoying for owners of those cars, not all DPF setups are bad and they are getting better overall.

If you remember when catalysts were introduced across all petrol cars in '92, there were all sorts of horror stories about cat matrices breaking up on speed bumps, £1000 replacement costs, how cats made engines less efficient and increased fuel consumption, etc etc.

Sounds familiar, doesn't it. Yet who even thinks about their catalytic converter now?
Yes, but a CAT was essentially for petrol engines and only foisted on us diesel owners at a later date. Paying £1000 for a new CAT would right now seem far preferable than £7K plus for a new engine as that appears to be the scenario for this DPF systems downside. Is it right that the retail customer should do the manufactuers and Governments R&D for them? Fuel injected at exhaust stroke is a 'quick fix' cheap solution, but I believe when it becomes more general knowledge what the costs of running DPF equipped diesels is, the general public will resist purchasing both new & secondhand. Don't forget with computer controlled injection on a petrol engine a DPF equipped petrol car (surely not far off) will similarly finish up with petrol in the sump - and the ramifications of that do not bear thinking about. Lets get this mad rush to reduce emissions ploy stopped now until manufacturers do proper long term development so that when systems are put on the market they maintain or extend engine life and do not impact on the innocent buyer. Would appreciate feed back as to which 'not all DPF setups are bad' from craig-pd130.

JCC, believe me, I have every sympathy with owners having DPF problems, and the stories I've read of the way owners have been brushed off by some dealers makes me angry. You're right that some manufacturers are letting customers do their testing for them, which is totally wrong.

I'm speaking from my own experience of running a new Mondeo 2.0 TDCI with DPF. 15 months and 13,000 miles is not long, I know, but so far the system seems to be working effectively.

Unlike some other makers' deployments (VAG, for example), there is no 'warning light' system warning the driver that a regeneration run is necessary. My impression is the ECU looks after this itself, and seems to order a failsafe regeneration every 500 miles or so, in addition to ordinary 'passive' regeneration in normal driving.

There are no special dipstick markings, nor any warnings in the handbook about oil levels. Oil levels do not rise during usage.

Over 60% of my driving is short runs of less than 10 miles, the car may go 3 to 4 weeks before having a decent open-road run.

I've not seen any reports of DPF failures, nor engine failures attributed to DPF problems on the Mondeo / S-Max forums, and there are quite a lot of these cars out there.

Not saying the cars are perfect -- ABS problems are rife and sundry electrical issues are driving some owners to distraction -- but so far, DPF problems haven't emerged.

08 2.0d DPF problems - Batteryman
To 'Miata'.

This may seem petty, but why use a Mazda model name as your forum alias when you drive a Subaru?

Quote "drive it like you stole it".. Do me a favour and keep your childish opinions to yourself.

Diesel cars are generally bought by people that percieve they will be more economical and last longer. Mazda, along with other manufacturers have developed a rushed, flawed and dangerous solution to the euro IV legislation.

08 2.0d DPF problems - jonny10buds
I am a car dealer and I'm noticing a big swing away from diesels for all these reasons.
To follow up, I exchanged letters for a while with someone at Mazda, who eventually offered to repay the cost of the regen and oil as 'a goodwill gesture'. Seeing as taking a massive cooperation like Mazda to court would be a hassle and cost I don't think I can cope with, I accepted with the usual guff about how I was disappointed they wouldn't take responsibility, blah, blah, blah.

I now go for the Italian tune-up/using 6th less option in the hope that the automatic regen does work, but tbh, I'm getting ready for another round of letter writing in a few months as I don't believe it will. As people have said, if this is just a motorway car and is totally unsuitable for town driving, then Mazda should have made this very clear when I bought it.

To answer things from above, the new Mazda6 doesn't have a light on when it is regenerating (you can sometimes smell it if you've been driving for a while then stop at traffic lights) so you can't really tell when it's in the middle of something so you can keep driving.

Also, other than this, I absolutely love the car and can't think of anything I would change (that said, I am comparing it to the old style Astra I had before, so technology wise it's like going from Stephenson's Rocket to the Starship Enterprise) and have had a really helpful response from two of three Mazda dealers I dealt with, so I'm not having a go at manufacturers/dealers, just complaining about a fairly major design problem with this car that Mazda seem to want to ignore.
The DPF in the new 2.2d models is different and regens less often and quicker. So they did learn from the early cars.

Recently I've done thousands of miles in a few months of motorway driving and less local driving. The oil level has not gone up and the oil has gone blacker as you'd expect in a diesel. So they do need driving like this a bit of the time and not just local trips. I still do a lot of local/short trips as well though.

Nobody mentioned this to me either when choosing the car.

08 2.0d DPF problems - Mazda5
Apologies if you see this post twice but wasn't sure which was the most appropriate thread to add it to. Just to add a bit from comments on this thread, we had no idea the car was only suitable for certain types of driving. If we had been told that it was not suitable for short journeys (it's a people carrier - shopping cart and school run car!!) and/or it dumps diesel in the sump I would have run a mile. I think Mazda and some car enthusiasts with 'mechanical knowledge' have convinced themselves this is acceptable. It is far from acceptable.

----------------------------------- original post---------------

3 weeks ago our 56 plate Mazda 5 Furano 2.0D suffered an engine failure. It was similar to those described elsewhere (e.g. smoke, over-running and loss of power). We have just heard back from Mazda Customer Services to say that there is a hole in one of the pistons but it will not be covered by the warranty as the failure was due to the oil level being too high. Also, they say the ECU shows the DPF light came on (correct, it came on when the engine failed). I am waiting for them to fully explain how this has happened and what they are going to do about it but their communications so far suggest they will not be accepting it as a warranty claim. Since being told about the diagnosis, I have been waiting several days whilst Mazda skirt around the costs and what they are going to do so I phoned the dealer after hours and asked the receptionist to look it up on the screen. They have prepared an estimate for about £7,500. If you check the 2nd hand value, the car is not far from a write off. Note to Nick1969: you have paid the full retail cost for your repair so not only have Mazda not covered the cost, they have actually profited from the repairs as well.

We have had a terrible run of trouble with this car, starting with a turbo failure in the first year. I won't bore you with all the details (yet) but we have had all the problems I am reading about on the forum - excessive tyre wear, unexplained loss of power etc. We have had appalling service from our local dealer, who were on one occasion caught talking about placing a kipper in our heating system (presumably because we had the audacity to return the car with a number of faults), not realising my wife had arrived at reception and heard every word.

The dealer was subsequently reorganised after other customer complaints and then later shut down, I am told after failing a financial audit when Mazda changed provider to Santander. On the advice of a senior member of Mazda management, we had already changed dealer to one 25 miles away as my wife got very upset at the thought of going into our local dealer.

I have been doing a lot of homework since the engine failure and I am gob-smacked. This is a people carrier i.e. designed to take the kids to school and do the shopping and so it is obviously going to be used for some short journeys. Our use of the car has been very average - short and regular longer journeys on main roads and motorways. We didn't know anything about DPF filters and rising oil levels until doing this research after the engine failure. It's all very well some of the car enthusiasts on this forum stating it's owner stupidity, but manufacturers are quite aware that 99% of people just buy a car because it has, in this case sliding doors and handy seating arrangement. The average owner knows nothing about the engineering problems associated with DPF and couldn't care less - they just want a reliable car that gets them from a to b. If I bought a Lamborghini then I would expect some ownership compromises but this is a bog standard saloon car-based people carrier. In our case we are very diligent and look after our possessions. We have regularly checked the fluid levels and didn't notice any increase. Neither did the dealer at any of the services which were all carried out exactly on time, or at any other of the numerous times the car was in the dealer (according to my diary about 10% of ownership it has been sat in the dealer).

I am waiting for Mazda to return to me officially with details of the repair and their proposals. Reading this forum I am rather worried as to the outcome. Any owners with similar problems are welcome to contact me.
08 2.0d DPF problems - MikeTorque
It's appalling how Mazda have failed to recify these issues, utterly shocking. If their diesel models, as fitted with a DPF, can't cope with any mix of driving then they aren't fit for purpose and should be withdrawn from the market and all customers should be fully compensated.

Mazda should either produce fully developed no maintenance DPF technology, inline with customer requirements and expectations, or drop diesel engines from their range or buy in another manufactures proven DPF technology.

Mazda wake up, you're losing customers, both existing and potentially new ones by not honouring the spirit of the warranty.

Mazda should offer to replace this particular problem vehicle with a completely new one (petrol engine) and a fresh warranty plus a compensation package as a goodwill gesture for all the stress & trouble their product has caused this customer, then maybe just maybe they would regain some respect.
08 2.0d DPF problems - zach
My VOLVO C30 D5 has this problem. Blew up on the motorway. All this is sadly familiar. My dealer is currently faffing around trying to identify a solution to this clearly manufacturor wide issue. It sucks
08 2.0d DPF problems - Molly Coddle
I've posted on another thread about our Mazda 6 diesel DPF problems which were repaired under guarantee with no quibbles - www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=70...7. Are we the only lucky ones?
08 2.0d DPF problems - Med
Sure enough lucky for you - we'll im happy that you got it and im sure everyone else is.. At least Mazda are giving some credit to people. This is my post:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=77...5
08 2.0d DPF problems - bignixi
Hi all,
I have a 06 plate Mazda6 143ps 2.0 Diesel and the DPF light has started to flash. Can anyone tell me what to do? Reading through Forums there seems to be some conflicting stories about whether a dealer visit is needed. Appreciate anyones help.
What does it say in the handbook? If it's the same as mine then the light would have been on steady first to say DPF needs clearing by driving with high revs. If you continue to ignore this then it will flash which means take it to the dealer for them to do a regeneration. Do not drive this car apart from getting it to the dealer.

Failure to do anything could require a new DPF. It might already.
08 2.0d DPF problems - mcr
Went to look at a a Mazda5 2.0d Sport at a dealer today, the DPF light was on and was flashing, it felt a little gutless in the test drive too (though was only "allowed to go for 2-miles in a 30-zone!!) He wanted £6900 against £7995 PArkers guide price, it was without service for 14,500 miles, had dond 83k miles so I think it might be due a cam belt too.

I desperately need a car so was still quite keen as my wife really likes the look of these and the dealer agreed a price of £6350, in the end I found it only had 1-months MOT too so drew teh line there and have not bought it.

Looks like with the costs mentioned on this thread and the continuing problems people have had I may have made the right choice, but out of interest what "amount" would people allow to 1. Service, 2. Replace Cambelt, 3. Regen DPF..

And what is the likelihood the turbo is gone? My audi A4has a nice little whine when the turbo kicks in, should the Mazda5 have somethign similar?

Cheers
An unfair test. The DPFs need to be understood but the test drive you mention was in one that needed regeneration and therefore in reduced performance mode!
08 2.0d DPF problems - velocityblade

Hi all

I'm new to this forum though in no way new to the Mazda DPF problems. I have a Mazda6 2.0 TD 143, 2007, bought in January 2010 as second owner. Full Mazda Service History. Excellent car to drive - I like it more than my 318 I traded it in for.
I had almost identical problems to yorksroyal. The car has been in for the engine overrun in Feb 2010 as a Factory Recall remapping and has now been in 3 more times; oil/filter change after DPF light came on flashing with TCS and Check Engine lights - there was no DPF warning before this happened. Then again a week later for a Manual DPF Regen after similar warning light issues (with no prior DPF warnings). The tird time its a new DPF after the lights came on again. I raised a Formal Investigation with Mazda UK.
Checked oil level before any long journey - never moved above Full, so if Regen is happening, it is happening completely with no drain back into the sump.
My local dealer is really helpful but I get the feeling they are left in the dark by Mazda UK. I also get the feeling I am paying for all these repairs while they learn what the problem really is.
Surely if the DPF got to the point it needed replacing, I should have had a DPF warning light before total failure, to tell me to do an auto regen by driving it. (I do about 350 miles a week, mostly motorways with appropriate engine speeds for auto regento happen).
I am not an auto engineer but I can analyse things! Surely all these oil/filter changes, DPF regens etc are only treating the symptoms of a fundamental and inherrent problem in the engine?
I have today written to Mazda UK to see if I can get any response from them. If anyone else has had Mazda acknowledge this problem, and had a satisfactory outcome from Mazda UK, I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Edited by velocityblade on 16/03/2010 at 12:57

08 2.0d DPF problems - mad@mazda

hi to all, i'm also a new member to this forum and feel the need to add my experience with the awful DPF system fitted to mazdas. i own a 2006 Mazda 5 diesel that has now covered approximately 34,000 miles. i have been forced to change the oil and filter 4 times in the course of 5000 miles. My Mazda is driven on 50/50 motorway and town journeys. The DPF light seems to have been on, flashing for most of those 5000 miles.

The Mazdas diesel particulate filter is cleaned periodically by a proccess that i find, quite simply, ridiculous. For those of you who don't know how the DPF is cleaned. When the DPF starts to become blocked with soot from burnt diesel, the engines 'electronic control unit' (ecU) picks up a signal to inject extra fuel into the engine. This is the beginning of the regeneration proccess. The extra fuel is suppose to make its way out of the engine via the exhaust manifold and eventually soak the blocked sooty internals of the DPF. if you are lucky enough at to be travelling at a constant speed with engine revs at 2500 rpm or above, for 10 to 15 minutes, the DPF will get hot enough to burn the soot and blast it out and the regeneration proccess should be completed successfully. Unfortunately if you are not, the soaked sooty DPF will become even sootier and the majority of the extra injected diesel into the engine will leak past each of the 4 pistons and combine with the engine oil. obviously after several of these failed regenerations, the engine oil level increases to a critical level which is marked by an X on the dip stick. With the oil volume increased by as much as 40% above its normal safe level the engines internal pressure is excessively increased . The dilluted oil is now forced into the engines air intake system via breathers and back into the combustion chambers, burnt and into the blocked DPF adding to the initial problem. The engine oil is also so dilluted by the diesel fuel it is not lubricating the engine as it should. i have found that once the DPF light starts flashing the only way to successfully regenerate the DPF is by changing the oil and filter and then taking the car for 20 minute stint on the motorway ( 70mph in 4th gear).

i really can't believe Mazda have chosen to ignore this major problem and to add insult to injury, actually profit considerably by charging for; code reading the problem, changing the oil and filters and then putting the cars through a static regeneration cycle with their own diagnotic machinery. People with these diesel Mazdas need to be aware that failure to act when the DPF light is flashing or constantly illuminated. could lead to major engine failure, to an eventual bill of thousands of pounds.

This particular DPF system is very badly thought through and obviosly not tested properly before being put into production.

owners need to complain the Mazda direct.

it appears it's not only Mazdas that 's have problems with their DPF system !

hi mate!

Yet another one. i had an engine over-run because of this DPF system but never had any warning lights. check out this: http://www.mazda6forums.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,435.0.html (this is my post)

i have many others posts on here too regarding this. i am slowly taking mazda to court and my mazda 6 2008+ has been sitting on my drive useless for 8 months now. i stopped paying 3 months back and i got the finance people on my back because mazda ignore everything and blame it all on me... So your going to blame the engine going out of control after i do my weekly oil checks, no warning lights appearing and me nearly dying.... they responded, it says in the handbook to check you oil levels weekly so you obviously did not!! aRGh!

i am startnig a public awareness campaign on this matter because it seems like a vast majority of people don't even know what a DPF is or does & how it can affect their engine. the system has not been thought through and its been rushed! Give me an email so we can chat more, maybe i can get some advice on this campaign as any help is much appreciated. contact@modxpc.com

Look forward to hear from you!

Edited by Med on 22/03/2010 at 18:00

08 2.0d DPF problems - velocityblade

hi Mad@mazda. as Med says, join the queue.
a few of us have gone along the steps you propose. and as suggested, if you check out this web site for other threads on DPF you will find a few more complainants. and there are other Forums you can look at (Mazda6 formum and Mazda Forum spring to mind) where you will find many more.
None seem to have reported much success with getting Mazda to recognise the problem or do anything about it.

Med's idea is a good one - we should not only pursue our individual issues with Mada we should band together too. if you would like to contact me after you have emailed Med, i can bring you up to date with what i have been up to which goes to support Med's actions. i'm also trying to track down a forum member that said he had a court case against Mazda last august, to find out what the outcome was.

Good luck

has anyone heard of the "lemon law" in the USa? i am wondering if there is such law over here in the UK?

08 2.0d DPF problems - OnlineAutomotive

Im sure there must be something similar as it is very very hard to claim anything connected to the DPF under warranty. Have you had any luck finding anything out about it?

08 2.0d DPF problems - Mazdoff

Spooky how similar our purchase stories are...I purchased my 56 plate (2007) Mazda 6 diesal estate (143 bhp) 22nd Jan (Trade purchase in Preston). Full dealer service history. High miles but running sweet as a nut.

In February (19.02.10) the DPF light came on (not flashing). My local Mazda dealer advised that this "occasionally happens - but not often - when some diesal gets into the egine oil" ? They did an oil change, replaced the oil filter and reset the system...job done, all seemed fine...£100 lighter but OK.

In March (24.03.10) 85 miles into a 380 round trip golfing in Wales, the DPF light came on again (flashing this time). To be honest, I was completely unaware of these DPF issues with Mazdas and not aware of the option to run at over 2000 revs to 'burn off' the particles !

Why build a car with 6 gears to cruise in at under 2000 revs, when Mazda want us to drive it harder ? Why should we have to ?

Anyway, 30 miles later - still cruising along with the DPF light flashing - the Traction Control and Engine Management System lights came on (solid) to join the flashing DPF light...and a sudden loss in power into 'limp home mode'. Not good in the outside lane of a motorway in the rain !

After 'limping home' the following day, I took it along to my local Mazda dealer to hopefully do another reset and get some reasurrance that all should be OK...to be informed that I might need to replace the DPF unit at a personal cost of £1700 plus labour !!!!!

Not best pleased, I chose to 'limp it home' and think about it. Their parting shot was to suggest I looked on the Office of Fair Trading website for advice on raising a 'Not fit for purpose' claim for satisfaction against the Trader I bought the car from under the Sale of Goods act...but...is the trader an innocent victim in all this aswell ?

Should we all be lodging a complaint/not fit for purpose claim against MAZDA ?

Your thoughts on that suggestion, and any support or advice for the predicament I am in ?

I the mean time I hae lodged an email with BBC Watchdog...and recommend everyone does that as well.

Mazda seem to know hey have a fault, but expect us all to go out of our way to accommodate a fault that they have not resolved...and are making a tidy profit from us in the process (£100 resets...£1700 DPF units...£8000 engines !!!)

Mazdoff

Mazdaoff,

Welcome to the problems galore! You may have read my posts but although i had a similiar problem it was different. My engine over-ran like mad because of this but without any warning lights but was blamed on me for not checking my oils and ignoring the DPF.

You can go on my campaign site, there is no design there but i have uploaded my campaign flyer. www.mazda-campaign.co.uk

Give me an email and we can chat about this further, i dont know if i should say it but watchdog are useless, i have been without my car for 9 months and every week had been emailing watchdog & many many other companies like VOSA. But, you should report this to VOSA as they can hopefully gather all this information from us all and do a safety recall!

I'll await your email.

Mehdi - Mazda-campaign.co.uk

Hi Everyone,

I am just coming back to this quite thread to hopefully come to light on any new information? If you are still having the problems are are extremely unhappy please keep me/us updated on how your getting on & what results if any you have had.

I am still fighting my case & am going to watchdog Monday afternoon with all my documents to get this noticed once and for all.

08 2.0d DPF problems - strobe

hows it going I have the same problems but add to this the engine totally seized up at 94000 miles on my 4 year old mazda6 what a great car

hey strobe,

wow sorry! what did mazda say about it?

08 2.0d DPF problems - Dutchie
You are advertising on this site to remove DPF filters which affects peoples health which you don't mention.Iam sure what you are doing will be illegal soon or maybe it is now.
08 2.0d DPF problems - tedmurphy41

There seems to be a mountain of problems with Mazda diesel injector seals and particulate filters which should have merited a recall in order to rectify this/these problem/s, whether it was diesel leaking into the engine oil or the filter getting clogged.

As they (Mazda Ltd.) have not done anything to alleviate this/these problem/s, then those of you who are out of pocket as a direct result of Mazda's inaction should pursue a claim in the County Court, and include sending the details of your case to the local newspaper.

Oh, and inform Mazda Ltd. of your intended course of action, along with media highlighting, and it may have the desired results from this company that normal, standard complaints haven't produced from them to date.

If you do nothing apart from just complain, then you will get nothing in return.

Edward Murphy.

2006 - Mazda 6: 143, Estate owner.

Hello Edward,

There are a mountain of problems with Mazda's DPF system & others related to the DPF.

You see, if Mazda Motors UK sort out their customer service then the problems would be as harsh as they are....My self am one owner who is extremely let down with their service! I am fighting my case and have been for coming up-to 2 years now. Have got a solicitor on board and have had an internal inspection done.

I agree with your points in full, people should complain as one large group to get noticed.

Mehdi - www.mazda-campaign.co.uk