Golf 1.6 TDI Match Mk6 - Failure of Golf MK6 Clutch & Flywheel - RichP

The clutch and flywheel went on my wife's Golf 1.6TDI 60 Reg at 39k miles - the deaer put this down to driver error and now want £1300 to fix it. VW Customer service backed the dealer and would do no goodwill gesture.

This problem was a shock given that we don't live in a hilly area, my wife has been driving for 27 years and not burnt through any clutches.Indeed her last car a BMW 3 series lasted until 120k miles before it needed any clutch maintanance

In looking at the clutch it is a sealed unit, so they don't really look at what might have gone wrong inside it, yet they have taken the easy excuse of driver error without looking any further! There is some evdience of DMF failure causesing problems on VW vehicles so why they are so difficult remains a mystery.

Indeed the dealer wanted to help - but has their hand tied by VW then moaned about this was how Toyota was beating them on customer service rankings.

Anybody else had a similar early clutch failure? and what did the dealer manufacturer do about it? Thanks

Golf 1.6 TDI Match Mk6 - Failure of Golf MK6 Clutch & Flywheel - gordonbennet

Outlaws had similar complete failure on their Mazda 3 petrol at approx 12k miles, driver error again apparently, Mazda not interested and no contribution forthcoming which didn't surprise me....outlaws never had clutch failures in some 30 years prior, they'll be going back to Honda and decent customer care again when the time comes.

There's good reason Toyota are highly regarded in customer services, they try their damndest to treat their customers fairly.

Golf 1.6 TDI Match Mk6 - Failure of Golf MK6 Clutch & Flywheel - balleballe

Clutch failure on a petrol @ 12k miles!?

Goodness graceous

Golf 1.6 TDI Match Mk6 - Failure of Golf MK6 Clutch & Flywheel - thirts

There's good reason Toyota are highly regarded in customer services, they try their damndest to treat their customers fairly.

Agreed re: Toyota - I have an 11 year old that is due for replacement. There are, I think better small cars out there for our needs (2nd car) but the service I have received from Toyota when I had some clutch probems was fantastic and I'm likely to go back to Toyota for the replacement car.

I have considered the VW Polo, and as a 2nd car I think it's great, but all I hear on these forums is poor after sales service from VW.

Golf 1.6 TDI Match Mk6 - Failure of Golf MK6 Clutch & Flywheel - bazza

A clutch i can understand could be down to driver mis-use, but a flywheel? Very shoddy response by VAG, we read this time and time again don't we?