Mazda 3 - Engine failure at 33k miles - 2010 TS diesel - Stressed and needs help!

My Mazda 3 TS (diesel) died 2 weeks ago. They have stripped engine down to advise that this was caused due to wear on #1 and #4 big end bearings due to insufficient or poor quality oil - as such they will not cover under warranty as we were late in getting it serviced (by circa 3k miles).

The car was serviced in December 2011 (admittedly circa 5 weeks late) but at that time the Mazda garage did not flag any issues with low oil. The car was running like a dream and my husband checks oil every 2 weeks. It is always fine.

4 months later and the car suddenly starts making ticking noise which seemed to get louder when revving engine at a junction. There are no warning lights at any point and the car is driving just fine. Driving to garage next morning to report problem and get looked in to and car dies. Engine totally seized.

Has anyone else had a problem like this with a Mazda 3 engine? Surely a 2 year old car should not die? And why no engine warning light? Why has this happened 4 months (and 4k miles) AFTER the service?! I could understand if it was before the service but not after? Mazda insisting that wear happened due to delayed service!!!!!!

I have spoken to 2 independent mechanics who both dispute this and suggest there is something more sinister going on.

HELP!!!

Mazda 3 - Engine failure at 33k miles - 2010 TS diesel - 1litregolfeater

Sorry to hear of this, normally people buy diesels for reliability and longevity.

I might not be the last to mention Ford.

Mazda 3 - Engine failure at 33k miles - 2010 TS diesel - BenG

If it's the 2.0 diesel, might be worth checking out the extensive threads on here about the Mazda 6 diesel engine failures caused by DPF regeneration problems. Diesel dilution of the engine oil could I guess reduce its viscosity to the degree that it would cease to function properly in lubricating the bearings

If on the other hands it's the 1.6 diesel also used in the Focus, might be worth taking a look at the thread covering those failures, due to leaking injector seals causing carbon build-up in the oil blocking the turbo oil pick-up, though that caused turbo failure rather than main bearing failures and seemed to be restricted to Fords.

Mazda 3 - Engine failure at 33k miles - 2010 TS diesel - Collos25

Two threads from the same poster read the one below.

Mazda 3 - Engine failure at 33k miles - 2010 TS diesel - oldroverboy
The service intervals should be respected as should the driving style required for these dpf fitted cars. 1 YES 1 failed regeneration is enough to destroy the oil within a couple of hundred miles. My "change oil now" indicator came on, and thats actually what it says, and that is what I did, got the service book stamped so no comebacks. There is not only a regeneration warning light, but also the text comes up on the instument pack. (well done chevrolet.) So all these problems, and the lady with a diesel captiva same problems because she was "saving up for the service" As some one else says, servicing is not voluntary, it is mandatory, and if you drove at 40mph in a 30 zone, would you say it was "only 30% over the limit"
Mazda 3 - Engine failure at 33k miles - 2010 TS diesel - Avant

Thread closed as there is another one with more replies, which please use if you want to comment further..