Honda CR-V - Major problems after used car purchase - rkidscrv
Afternoon all

Looking for some advice on how best to proceed with a problem I am having.
I purchased a Honda crv in December. Car was a 58 plate with 40k on the clock.

Have had a few problems with the car since purchase. None of the wheels were balanced. The diff hadn't been serviced properly and there were vibrations coming through the steering wheel.
These were rectified by the company I bought the car from after I noticed them.

Now for the past few weeks my brakes have been starting to squeal. I put it down to them needing some copper grease as I was advised when I purchased the car (still have the emails from the dealer) that the discs were new and front and rear pads had 30 & 20 percent wear respectively.
Had the car in to Honda today and they've confirmed the rear pads are down to over 90% worn and both front and rear assembly's need a complete clean out as the pistons are starting to seize. I've also found out today that the car is not mot'd.

How do I stand legally with this? I'm forking out over £200 today to get my brakes sorted and I intend on recouping this from the dealers. What chance do I have?
Honda CR-V - Major problems after used car purchase - CarTrader
I assume you have contacted the supplying dealer with regard to the brake problems.?
When did the mot run out.?
I'm in the process of doing this but it's complicated.

Vehicle has never been MOT'd. It was 3 years and a month old when I purchased it. Dealers were meant to have mot'd it prior to purchase.
To be fair you should have given the supplying dealer an opportunity to sort the brakes out,before going to honda and then trying claiming the cost back from supplying dealer.
With regard to the mot the supplying dealer should sort that problem straight away. But remember we are all human and mistakes happen.
Dealers in Birmingham and I'm in Glasgow. As I said, it's complicated.

I agree mistakes can be made but there have been a few too many of them and to be honest I've been lied too.
This makes me question everything I've been told now. Like I said in my OP, the car had diff problems. It hadn't been serviced in 18 months and was causing steering judder on full lock.
The dealers claimed they serviced the car and stamped the book to confirm. If they had serviced the car, the diff would have been flushed and there would have been no problem. All the signs are there that they've just stamped the book without actually carrying out any work which is something else I'll be asking Honda to check for me.
Was it a main dealers you purchased the car from.?
Nope. It's was Blackhorse car sales in Birmingham.

Deal was arranged through Lex Autolease due to a previous issue with a lease car. Long story!
Blackhorse motor sales ....funny that I've recently purchased a focus st off a private guy who had his st from there,he had a similar problem with his braking system which was noticed on test drive. Told him they would sort brakes before he collected. Well he collected and brakes were the same had to return the car for them to sort. It amazes me that these big garages can't do the things they promised.
I'm guessing the size of the operation down there means they will always have issues with a few cars.

Doesn't excuse the multitude of errors here though!
Yes places like that can be like a cattle market at times,but at the same time black horse car sales is owned by lloyds bank so knowing how banks have there business interest run by accounting types who are only interested in the bottom line,corners will be being cut to save on reconditioning costs including servicing etc etc.
Do you know the legalities of selling a car with no MOT?

Never had to deal with anything like this as always had cars <3 years old.
Honda CR-V - Major problems after used car purchase - bonzo dog

Do you know the legalities of selling a car with no MOT?

It's perfectly legal to sell a car with no MOT

I do believe it is an offence to drive one without it, though! Whilst I sympathise if they told you they would MOT it, at the end of the day it's your car & you should have not have driven it away without the MOT certificate.

Although I thought that an MOT was required to obtain an RFL; if so how was this obtained??????

So where now? Well you've had a couple of problems which the dealer has sorted out for you. Whilst another poster has said that you should give the selling delaer the oportunity to rectify the current faults, you have taken it back once & I would argue that it is unreasonable to ask you to take it back again over such a distance.

I'm guessing that you have a finance agreement with Black Horse? If so write to them, copying the dealership. Explain all of the faults & inform them what you want to be done about them. Use the phrase "merchandisable quality" regarding the faults & tell them in no uncertain terms that you have been driving illegally & possibly with no valid insurance due to the dealership's negligence.

Good luck

at the same time black horse car sales is owned by lloyds bank so knowing how banks have there business interest run by accounting types who are only interested in the bottom line,corners will be being cut to save on reconditioning costs including servicing etc etc

No difference than any other car dealer / trader I've known in the past 30 years if the deal is tight

Edited by bonzo dog on 06/04/2012 at 21:33

Thanks for your reply.

What I was meaning though was what were the legalities of selling a car you have stated has an MOT when it doesn't?
The car was taxed the day before I picked it up. How could they do this with no MOT? A friendly post office maybe?
Honda CR-V - Major problems after used car purchase - xtrailman

The problems you have had are all wear and tear, nothing major.

You should have checked the service records and MOT before leaving the garage.

Buying from a car supermarket you are never going to get A1 servicing, probably just a oil change.

If you dont want to return to get your mot, then i would just get the car serviced properly along with a mot.

At 40K the car should be ok.

Thanks for your reply but i don't think I'll take you up on your advice.

If you think it's acceptable to lie to customers and sell a car with so many faults then more fool you.
Honda CR-V - Major problems after used car purchase - gordonbennet
Thanks for your reply but i don't think I'll take you up on your advice. If you think it's acceptable to lie to customers and sell a car with so many faults then more fool you.

So you buy a car with no MOT and the above poster is a fool, have you tried politics?, you would go far.

Honda CR-V - Major problems after used car purchase - bonzo dog

what were the legalities of selling a car you have stated has an MOT when it doesn't?

It breaks the law - goods have to be "as described". This does not change my original advice which is to let the dealer (& finance co) what you want.

The car was taxed the day before I picked it up. How could they do this with no MOT?

Again, as I said, "how?"

Honda CR-V - Major problems after used car purchase - SteveLee
Yes places like that can be like a cattle market at times,but at the same time black horse car sales is owned by lloyds bank so knowing how banks have there business interest run by accounting types who are only interested in the bottom line,corners will be being cut to save on reconditioning costs including servicing etc etc.

Between me, my family and friends, we have bought dozens of cars from what was The Great Trade Centre (now called Car Giant) in White City, Several Jags, Citroëns, Vauxhalls, Fords, Hondas we've never had a problem with a single car - not one. It's the biggest car dealer in the world - size or turnover are no excuses for poor pre-delivery inspection and remedial operations.

Honda CR-V - Major problems after used car purchase - tony g
Hi rskid,
I think you would have some difficulty in recovering the cost of the brake servicing from black horse car sales .You say that the brakes have been squealing for the last few weeks ,however you have owned the car for 4 months ,it's unlikely the fault was present when you bought the car .The brakes may have been 75 % worn when you bought the car ,they could have been operating ok .The car had done 40k when you bought it and would have worn parts .

However the mot is probably a different matter it could well be an issue under the misdescriptions act ,if the car was advertised with an mot .

Details of the act.
whatconsumer.co.uk/misleading-commercial-practices.../

Regards

Tony g
As I said above, I was advised prior to sale that both the front and rear pads were between 20-30% worn. I still have the emails from the salesman.

Honda CR-V - Major problems after used car purchase - pd

Can't see you're going to get anywhere on the brakes after this time, the selling dealer can just argue you have been on a track day since you bought the car. Wear and tear items are almost impossible to argue except for a very short time after purchase.

If they taxed it I can only assume it was just under 3 years old when you bought it - check on www.motinfo.gov.uk and see if/when it has ever been MOT'd.

It's all a bit shoddy from the selling dealer but they did rectify the servicing which is something. You might be able to get something out of them on the MOT but check exactly what the MOT status was when you bought it before tackling them.