Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 3rd Injector issue?? - stewil007

Hi,

I recently bought a Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi (90) 2006 model with 71000 miles.

The car was running well for about 7 weeks and i was getting great mileage - about 700 or so from a tank.

In the 8th week, i noticed a hissing noise coming from the engine and upon further inspection found it coming from the 3rd injector, I also noticed there was a black film/build up around it. The other injectors were clean.

The car still performs ok, accelrates no problem, tho i don't tend to go above 75mph anyway. But i have noticed that the MPG has dropped...I will be lucky to get 600 to a tank now.

What is likely to be the issue and should i get it off the road asap or should it be ok to drive fopr the time being, until i can get it to a garage - I'm off work next week, so have time then , if needed.

Steve

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 3rd Injector issue?? - ChannelZ

Common problem, caused by bad design. Any Ford or Peugoet independent will be able to sort it with their eyes closed.

Bit non-descript there.

Expensive/serious problem - 5 min job/nothing to worry about?

Should i get it done asap or is it a get the car of the road asap type situation?

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 3rd Injector issue?? - injection doc

see

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=90204

see these

rapidshare.com/files/3668332251/Injector_seal_leak...g

rapidshare.com/files/2761452098/1.6tdci_Turbo_fail...f

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91541

Sorry for my ignorance here but does the fact my seal looks like the one in the first picture mean that my turbo has failed? The car is still going along ok and there are no engine warning lights - the only noticable things are less mpg and the hissing noise from the engine.

I bought (rightly or wrongly) a 2 yr warranty for the car which does cover turbo failure, should i be able to get this particular problem sorted through this ?

thanks in advance

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 3rd Injector issue?? - Peter.N.

If your car is still driving OK the turbo will be alright, the problem is that the black pitch like substance that is forming at the top of the injector can ultimately get into the oil, that can cause turbo failure and its made worse by the over long oil change intervals, if you are not going to do anything about the injector fairly soon I would at least change the oil.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 3rd Injector issue?? - MikeTorque

Take the car to the garage ASAP for repair, they'll should sort it out under the warranty. Best not to drive it in the meantime.

Thanks for the responses, i've had no choice but to use the car for work today, but will look to get it into the garage on tuesday.

The car was serviced in December before i bought the car and has done about 6000 miles since, i've read that on these engines changing the oil every 5000 miles or so will be the way forward once the problem is sorted. Would that be a fair assesment?

Yes changing the oil & filter every 5000 miles or so will significantly contribute to avoiding future wear related issues.

i normally leave it for 10k to 12k between oil changes, i'll get on it once the problem is sorted.

One final question, i'm reading on other forums that an oil catch can can help stop sludge etc getting to the turbo (thats my understanding, so it could be wrong), would this be of benefit?

again, thanks in advance

You'd only really need an oil catch can if you're racing or using persist high revs, they're more of a complication for every day motoring than they're worth, and they can be viewed as an engine modification by insurance companies.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 3rd Injector issue?? - BenG
Cou
Ford Focus - Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi 3rd Injector issue?? - BenG
Could be worth checking and cleaning out the end of the turbo oil pick-up to make sure no carbon deposits from the leaking injector have started clogging the pick-up, as that seems to have been the cause of numerous 1.6TDCI turbo failure on here?

took the car into the garage today and it turned out that the injector had worked itself loose, enough to cause the spatter and the funny noise. the mechanic took it apart and cleaned everything up, free of charge too

it looked exactly like the pic from the link above, but appears to have been resolved, engine now sounds great, so hopefully that will be that.

thanks for all the responses, i'll be taking on board some of the suggestions anyway to help maintain the engine for as long as possible.

either that or look to sell before the issue rears itself for real.......

steve