BMW 3 Series Coupe - Used car for 3000-3500 for doing 450mi+ a week in - coombsfh

I am turning into a grown-up and need a reliable car to replace my beaten old Fiesta. I need to know the following:

1) Petrol or diesel

2)Very well sorted E36 or slightly higher mileage E46

3)E36 318 IS or E46 318 CI (maybe 16v in budget) or a 318/320/325D

4)Forget BMW and buy a lovely old Merc 300D or 240D or something like that if available. Also if there are any "elephants in the room" for the money, let me know...

Priorities are reliability, camchain, non-idiotic fuel costs and preferably capable in corners when I have time to "enjoy driving" if that is possible in this country any more:(

All the best and thanks in advance,

Fred.

Edited by coombsfh on 31/03/2012 at 14:11

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Used car for 3000-3500 for doing 450mi+ a week in - unthrottled

1.) At 20,000 miles/year diesel is a must.

2.) E36 is getting on a bit now. You don't give a budget so it is impossible to advise.

3.) Those old IDI diesels were quite refined in their day, but not very efficient.

4.)Sluggish, dated, and thirsty by today's standards.

I run an old car and it is cheap. But the suspension is tired and not much fun in corners. I wouldn't buy someone else's 15 year old cast-off and trust it to do 20,000 miles a year.

If money is tight, stick with mundane cars until things improve.

PS. I wouldn't waste time with the belt/chain dilemma. Each one has it's own merits, otherwise the other would no longer exist. There are far more important factors at play.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Used car for 3000-3500 for doing 450mi+ a week in - coombsfh

Sorry, missed out £ sign in title; budget is £3000-£3500

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Used car for 3000-3500 for doing 450mi+ a week in - unthrottled

Didn't read that properly! For that budget you're well into E46 320 diesel territory. Sorted!

Good news. Further research has thrown up the following:

1)318D or 320D?

2)Estate, Saloon, Coupe or Compact?

3)What are the main pit-falls to be aware of? Is mileage over 125K worrying?

Thanks for replying so swiftly BTW.

Best,

Fred

1.) wasn't there only a 320D back then?

2.) Personal preference. I think the wagons look better and are slightly more practical (they're not real load haulers though)

3.) I think the 320s had a reputation for eating turbos. Other than that, they seem very good cars. The main pitfalls being general wear and tear commensurate with an older/high mileage cars.

I'd be looking out for and avoiding ones that 'go a bit too well' ie heavily remapped. Clutch life might be dicey in those (although changing a clutch is cheaper for a RWD car).

Make sure they start when they're hot as well as cold!

E46 offer a 318D in saloon, compact and estate, a 320 in saloon, eatate compact and coupe. E36 are getting tired as mentioned.

Don't want remapped or tuned or lowered or repainted or spoilered or neoned or 6 sub-woofers.

An E46 320 CD is what I want I think, followed by an estate as I like biking and chainsawing etc.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Used car for 3000-3500 for doing 450mi+ a week in - barney100
Mileage isn't always a bar to buying. I bought a Volvo 760 with 165k on the clock and it ran for years, there were a few cosmetic things needed doing but it turned out a good buy.

Would you advise F(BMW if poss)SH on anything I buy then?

If possible, yes. Although at 10 years old or so, most will have "some" service history, rather than full.

The biggest tip is to be conservative. Don't try and get a bargain. Remember, the vendor ALWAYS knows more about that particular car than you do, and when people mis-price a car, they tend to mis-price high...

I worked for a short period for a car retailer and the amount of "doctoring" the SH of cars that goes on is unreal!

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Used car for 3000-3500 for doing 450mi+ a week in - madf

When I bought a used BMW 3 series about 8 years ago, it took about 3 months of searching to find an eledery one that had not been pimped or not serviced or thrashed to death.

And you need a local friendly independent garage if you don't diy. Main dealers will skin you alive. When things go wrong - which they will - £125 per hour will soon cost more than teh car.

Wattch out for bulging/leaking/rusty radiators - they tend to go with age..

With your mileage I agree: diesel only. I has a 325i: great fun but very expensive on fuel.

You NEED winter tyres in snow unless you either walk or like killing yourself.. Factor that into your sums. (I spun an E36 318i in fresh snow at under 10mph with wrong camber on a corner)

BIL has a 1994 Mercedes 300TD estate: it's a tank and NOT cheap to run as things wear out and parts prices are NOT cheap.. and some parts of the suspension design require knwoledge to repair and adjust.. Same comments about winter tyres.

I had a Mercedes 260E.. Fine car but lethal in wet if driving fast and forget it in snow.

Outdated.. and by today's standards horrible to drive unless you like lorries.

Edited by madf on 31/03/2012 at 16:28