Ford S-MAX - Ford S-Max....what's the alternative?? - ksj

Am reluctant to buy one of these, as not an MPV fan, it looks a bit dated to me (despite the remodel), have been around ages, and there's a new model coming out in 2014 and real mpgs seem far away from official figures...but what's the alternative? Like a bit of acceleration, pref diesel, manual gearbox and def need room for 3 car seats across the back. And would prefer good mpg. Where is the car that meets these needs ?! I'd welcome views/experiences.

Ford S-MAX - Ford S-Max....what's the alternative?? - Sulphur Man

Personally, I wouldnt be put off buying a car that's due for replacement in at least 2 years time.

The S-Max is a fine car, but like other fine Fords, is let down by indifferent after sales service and one of the most limited warranties in the industry.

Alternatives,

Toyota Verso. It's bland, but it's very hard to fault too. Save money over the diesels and try the excellent 1.8 V-Matic petrol with the CVT box, which does an easy 38-40mpg, and is as smooth as an auto Merc. 5 yr warranty too. (We nearly bought one of these)

Used Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDI. Not a looker, but strong diesel engine and arguably far more versatile an MPV (3x3 seating arrangement) than some 7 seaters. (We own a 1.8 iVTEC petrol auto). Used values are quite high, as they're discontinued and more people want them now than when they were on sale!

New Mercedes B-Class. It's the newest desgin out there, so wont look dated. The Merc diesels would be predictably strong.

New Prius +. MPV Prius with 7 seats, lots of toys, and proved hybrid drive-train

Or wait for the new Ford B-Max? (assuming that can take three child seats across the middle)

I havent mentioned the VW Touran, as that's a box on wheels and it doesn sound like you'd want that.

Not keen on the Touran, you're right! Though did own a petrol sport version a few years ago and it was a brilliant car. Thanks for the suggestions. I thought I might look at a Peugeot too.

Ford S-MAX - Ford S-Max....what's the alternative?? - Sulphur Man

Ah, I assumed you mean the 5008? Nicely finished interior. We sat in one, but didnt bother driving it, as it actually isnt that spacious as an MPV car. Three seats across the middle row might well be a struggle, especially when trying to squeeze your hand down between the seats to clip the belts in.

Forgive me, it sounds like you have the same quandry that many new fathers have. Begrudgingly having to buy an MPV but unable to give up some sense of driving enjoyment. For which the S-Max does fit that bill, admittedly. However, I will see your S-Max, and raise the following....

If diesel is a must, and good running costs, I would strongly suggest you get behind the wheel of a Renault Grand Scenic with the new Nissan-Renault 128bhp 1.6dci engine. This new engine is getting rave reviews everywhere. It has a very impressive 320nm torque measurement, emits less than 120g/km CO2 - VED £30, and claims 60+mpg combined. It's chain-cam, so no belts to worry about, and the DPF is the latest oxidisiation design, which should last the life of the car.Nissan-Renault claim the engine has passed tests for a 20yr/186000 typical lifespan. The engine has 18 patents on it. Mercedes has just leased it from Nissan-Renault for the next A-Class.

And to show I put my money where my mouth is, I bought a new Nissan Qashqai with this engine last Saturday! It revs like a petrol upto 5000rpm and is very refined. On the move there's just a distant whirr, and that's it. No clatter or rumble.

Compared to the belt-cam VAG 1.6TDIs I've driven in various guises, the new Nissan-Renault engine is a generation ahead. I've previously owned a BMW 120d, and feel this engine matches it for flexibility, beats it for refinement, but loses on outright performance, although the BMW is a bigger displacement of course.

Ford S-MAX - Ford S-Max....what's the alternative?? - Happy Blue!

There is no alternative to the S-Max!

Whilst the Scenic may have an excellent engine, it is in no way a drivers car. The S-Max is quite simply a great driving car, seven seats or two. Positive steering, excellent ride, good handling, roadholding is better than many cars with a lower CoG. Add to that an excellent driving position with controls in the right place, no strange French idiosyncrasies which no longer add charm, but simply infuriate, make the S-Max the default 5+2 car on the road today.

Proof of the pudding etc - the reason we buy these cars is that we need to ferry children around. My children are very happy with the car. We go long distances without complaint, no-one feels sick and we get out feeling far more refreshed than at the end of a similar length plane journey.

Would I swap my S-Max - yes; but only for a newer version with more modern engines and gearboxes. Compared the Volvo XC90 I had briefly (and hated), the S-Max feels like a Ferrari.

Was persuaded to test drive the 3008 peugeot hybrid as didn't fancy the 5008...more fun to drive than the s-max and 2 car seats and a booster fitted across the back seat. It's an automatic of course (though you have the paddles), but like the option sport mode and the economy. Price is another matter, but there is room for the kids and it's tempting!

Ford S-MAX - Ford S-Max....what's the alternative?? - Happy Blue!

So - look at a C-Max if you only need five seats!

Fair point, but the Peugeot looks a better all rounder. Anyone got one?

Ford S-MAX - Ford S-Max....what's the alternative?? - coopshere
The 5008 is an awful beast, used one with an auto box for a week and couldn't wait to give it back. It rode like a jelly steering was point and guess and the auto box made it drive as if on a roller coaster.

Have driven the S- Max 2.2 manual a few times and it is 100% better than the 5008. Drives like a car with road holding and ride to match. If they did a conventional torque converter auto then I would buy one tomorrow, that's the only reason for not buying one.