Any - Insurance company - oldroverboy

Last april, I had a minor scrape on a roundabout, where someone pulled out in front of me when I was already on the roundabout, (it was quite a big roundabout) I managed to stop safely and tooted my horn. the other person also stopped, (no contact at this time) looked at me then drove off and as he moved away his trailer grazes the front of my nearside wing, minor scratch. He attempted to drive off down some back streets and into a parking with a high wall, but I just saw him and followed him in and confronted him. He was agrressive and after a few minutes he said ok, the police are down the road, lets go there, so we did. Upon confirmation that no-one was injured the very helpful pc did a check that both vehicles were insured, (yes) and told us to get on with it. the other person refused to give me his details until he was told he had to, his excuse was that i would not give him my peronal phone numbers, which I don't have to by law, and it saves all those irritating texts and calls from accident management companies. I informed my insurance company immediately of the incident, and it was touched up for not very much locally, so no need for me to claim. 6 months later, as you have all guessed by now a PI claim for whiplash! As I denied liability and there seemed to be enough pointers in my favour the insurance company sent out an investigator who turned out to be a very competent ex-policeman with much experience in traffic, We visited the scene, and we had 2 hours where he took me through everything, took a statement and told me I had nothing to worry about. On the basis of this my insurance company denied liability and told me that if nothing more was heard in 6 months the case would be closed. Now on phoning for an update, as suddenly I have been getting texts and calls about making a claim myself in this case, i was told by my insurer that it could drag on for 3 years before they close the case and restore my ncd if the other side do not reply.

Crazy or what!

Edited by OldRoverboy on 10/03/2012 at 10:04

Any - Insurance company - unthrottled

Staggering. Does this mean that you essentially 'lose' your NCB until your insurance company are satisfied that no further claim can be made? I thought the government were supposed to be clamping down on the 'success fee' sharks? Obviously not hard enough!

Any - Insurance company - oldroverboy.

Strange but true, case closed yesterday 18 months on, Third party "not proceeding" "due to clear evidence given to accident investigator". At a cost of hundreds my insurance has saved themselves the cost of a PI claim £approx5000 + costs and has saved my NCD. Insurance co returning my ncd and additional premium.

Any - Insurance company - gordonbennet

Glad thats over for you.

I'm pleased the insurer sent out someone with some nous, ex plod ideal for this i would have thought, will have heard a million lies in their previous employment and see right through 'em.

Maybe this is the sign that insurers are at last not just going to roll over for the usual claimsRus wasters...if so its not before time.

Any - Insurance company - madf

Of course insurance companies could save tehmselves as a Group a lot of hassle over false claims.

Make all claimants sign a declaration that they are liable for ALL the extra costs incurred if their claims are found to include claims of significant fact subsequently found to be untrue.

Suddenly whiplash claims would fall after the first 100 claimants each ahve to pat £10k expoenses each and are pursude dthrough the courts...

But then logic and insurance companies do not mix.

Strange but true, case closed yesterday 18 months on, Third party "not proceeding" "due to clear evidence given to accident investigator". At a cost of hundreds my insurance has saved themselves the cost of a PI claim £approx5000 + costs and has saved my NCD. Insurance co returning my ncd and additional premium.

Now if you all really want to laugh...

At renewal i deliberately got 3 quotes from the insurers website,

1 .renewal, with 9 years ncd no claim

2. renewal 7 years ncd not at fault

3. renewal 7 years ncd at fault

The insurance premium difference between 1 and 2 was £29

between 1 and 3 it was £59,

which was going to be refunded when the claim was settled, and my ncd restored. So why did they refund £5.31 and issue me with a new ncd of 9 years showing me to have an at fault claim. On telephoning was told systems error as they were not expecting the claim to be settled in my favour. Are now recalculating bu will take 5-10 working days as they have a "backlog". I said fine , but be aware that this needs to be settled brfore i renew this year. (in 3 weeks time)

Any - Insurance company - 72 dudes

Hmmm, a "systems error" they were hoping you wouldn''t notice.

Might also be worth getting a few other quotes from a comparison site, and using them to to negotiate down with your current insurer's renewal quote.

Any - Insurance company - madf

Insurance costs for men are falling 10% plus due to EC ruling on sex discrimination...

So if your quote stays the same you are being scewed... it should FALL..

Happy to report an extra £69.62 has been refunded and my premium for next year is a further £60 less. Nice to know that every little helps (sometimes)

Any - Insurance company - RickyBoy

Just received the renewal notice for the little Polo I also run. The annual premium is identical to last year's but I'm about to embark on the 'trawl' to see if I can do a little better.

Boring, but necessary I feel – if only to check that I'm not being 'stiffed' :–) ...

Any - Insurance company - unthrottled

Of course they are!

(Even then, wouldn't it only apply where there is a difference in price between the sexes. ie an 18 year old male is different to 18 year old female, but there's no difference between a 45 year old man and woman?)

Quite pleased now! using a comparison website this years premium due shortly is a good 51% lower now that my 10 years ncd has been taken into account

For the good people at Provident (now Covea) especially Linda, thank you for defending against a spurious claim. WELL DONE!

Edited by oldroverboy. on 05/11/2012 at 18:12

renewal premium for the next 12 months cover £165.36 for next year after going via moneysupermarket comparison site. 2011 chevrolet cruze 1.6 petrol manual, 9+ years ncd fully comp, swmbo as named driver. Happy with that!

Any - Insurance company - dieselnut

SWMBO got her renewal quote recently from RSA echoice ( MoreThan ) for her 2005 Passat Estate PD 130 for £207 fully comp. I went on Gocompare & got a lower quote of £166 from, as you might have guessed, echoice. Reluctantly chose them as the next quote was £20 more. It just shows how worthwhile it is to check with the comparrison sites at every renewal if you've got the time.

Any - Insurance company - RT

You do need to check ALL the comparison sites though - some of them are owned by insurance companies.

eg Confused.com is owned by EUI Limited which also owns Admiral, Bell Direct, Diamont and elephant.co.uk

Any - Insurance company - RT

You do need to check ALL the comparison sites though - some of them are owned by insurance companies.

eg Confused.com is owned by EUI Limited which also owns Admiral, Bell Direct, Diamond and elephant.co.uk

Edited by RT on 21/11/2012 at 11:09