Cheap Newish Cars on Autotrader - Ben 10

Saw a few cars on AT that had a Yahoo contact email address. Prices were extraordinarily low. A 2011 Ford Kuga for £6000. Another for a Jaguar, same year £8000. Possible scam? Contacted AT, ads not removed.I contacted the Kuga owner and this is the email sent to me. Scam or no scam- does Yahoo operate such a copper bottomed scheme that I would not lose money on? Too good to be true?

" Due to the fact that i am located outside UK and we can not deal in person,i`ve contacted Yahoo Finance regarding this issue and they told me that they could offer to me a program that is created especially for international transactions that protects both of us. They agreed to supervise this deal.
You will send the funds to Yahoo Finance and they will keep the money until you receive the vehicle and test it.In this way both buyer and seller are 100% covered during the steps of this transaction. They will hold and insure your money until receipt of the car in good condition. That is how their service is working. As far as the seller concerns, i will be glad to know that Yahoo Finance is in possession of the funds during the delivery period.
You will be given a 15 days inspection period from the day you receive the car at home( i will ship it to your address insured for full value to you ).
If you decide to keep the car, then you will have to authorize Yahoo Finance to release the funds to me, and the transaction is complete.If the vehicle is not as described ( perfect interior,exterior,mechanical condition ), you will be able to send the vehicle back through the same shipping company ( return postage at my expense ), and ask Yahoo Finance to return the money to you."

Buyer beware, me thinks. But why does AT let this thing go on.

Cheap Newish Cars on Autotrader - oldroverboy

Buyer beware, me thinks. But why does AT let this thing go on.

Auto trader like to take the advertisers money! it's obviously some sort of scam! see the post "honda civic i know this car is clocked" about a year ago, but I told auto trader it was being discussed on this forum and the advert disappeared after that.

Edited by OldRoverboy on 07/03/2012 at 08:49

Cheap Newish Cars on Autotrader - hookster66

oh this scam was widespread on ebay 4/5/6/7 years ago, all the 'escrow' bs and located outside the uk, was funny back then , even moreso now if this plank thinks its gonna work, but we all know that some moron WILL fall for it....greeeeeeeeeeeed.

Cheap Newish Cars on Autotrader - Falkirk Bairn

Autotrader get ZERO from the fake ads as the Credit Cards/Debit cards used to pay advert are Stolen/Cloned.

Any competent programmer could run a script to extract the adverts then delete them after they have been looked at by an admin person.

Yes but this ad has been on there a number of weeks. It is the Yahoo email address that AT should be chasing. It is still on there if you want to see. This person even gave me all the relevant chassis number etc. I checked the number plate with CAP through Which and it appears a legit vehicle. The photos appear to have been taken here though she said she was in Portugal. The number plate is UK and checks out. She even prompted me with all the info she sent me to run any checks.How good do these scams get. Thats why I brought it up. Apart from the price, it appears to the untrained eye a real sale. But can anyone confirm if Yahoo run such a finance scheme or are they using them for cover. If you have the time, have a look at AT online. Just type in Ford Kuga, private, 10K mileage and its the cheapest i.e. first on the list.

Cheap Newish Cars on Autotrader - concrete

Try to get the buyer to use Paypal, they operate an insurance scheme to reimburse for any illegal activity which may cause you to lose out. It does sound too good to be true; which usually means it is. I would not touch it with a 'cargo carrying water vessel propulsion device'. Buyer Beware! Let us know the outcome. Good Luck. Concrete

Oh I don't intend to fall in this trap. I thought I would share and discuss the topic. Does seem to good, and I might see what their reaction is if I suggest Paypal instead. I'll let you know what they say.

Just gone over to AT and the ad has gone. Either some mug has parted with the cash or they've been rumbled and the ad pulled. No doubt it will reappear some time soon when the dust settles. I wonder what Yahoo make of it?

Cheap Newish Cars on Autotrader - SlidingPillar

Google Yahoo Finance, scam has been going for years. (Yahoo do not offer an escrow service etc).

;-)

Edited by Ben 10 on 07/03/2012 at 21:19

Cheap Newish Cars on Autotrader - oldroverboy

maybe someone did what i suggested and called auto-trader to say it was being discussed on this forum! if it was still there i certainly would have, ORB.

That Kuga ad is back on today

Edited by Ben 10 on 10/03/2012 at 09:58

Cheap Newish Cars on Autotrader - SlidingPillar

Spotted.

Unfortunatly there is nothing in the advert itself that would cause Autotrader to pull it. True the price is rediculous, but that in itself is not an offence. Afraid to say it's a case of caveat emptor, and if it looks too good to be true, it almost certainly is.

Cheap Newish Cars on Autotrader - Avant

Surely the safest policy is not to buy or sell from / to anyone outside the UK. It'll be a hassle, a scam, or a left-hand-drive car, or all three.

Her first email when I asked if the price was a misprint was that she bought the car here, right hand drive, moved to Portugal. Wouldn't be able to sell it there because of RH drive, so was offering it for low price to get rid. She stated the car is there for shipping but the photos of the caer were definately taken here. The distance from my home address came up on AT as 18 miles away. Okay they might not be breaking any rules so you say, but using Yahoo name as a broker is misleading, bordering on fraud. If AT aren't interested in stopping them, surely Yahoo would be.