Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.7 tdi 08 - oil light - js2000

Wondering if anyone has had this problem and rectified.

Since changing my oil + filter when starting my car the oil ilght goes off then comes on for around 5 secs then goes off, I have changed the oil and filter twice 5-30 first and 5-40 second. I have also bought from Vauxhall the full black cap with filter attached + pressure switch still same may stop on slightly longer after second oil change, checked the pressure 50 psi idle up to 100 psi when reved. may be my imagination but the engine seems to be getting slightly noisier. could it be the filter that is draining back when left, this happens if left over 2 hrs. mileage 25000

Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.7 tdi 08 - oil light - Peter.N.

Could be that or could be a faulty pressure switch, your oil pressure figures sound fine, even if you have no oil pressure on starting it won't do any harm as long as you don't rev it until the light goes out.

Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.7 tdi 08 - oil light - js2000

Changed the switch and still comes on. taken the filler cap off when idling and oil is getting to the camshaft + cams look fine. Seems strange that the light comes on slightly after a simple oil and filter change. Seen some earlier posts and a few people have had this fault with no real remedy.

Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.7 tdi 08 - oil light - Jonathan Page

Hi have the same problem, did you find a solution, thanks, Jon.

Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.7 tdi 08 - oil light - Xileno

I'm afraid they've not logged on again since the original post so unlikely to be still looking in now - but you never know...

Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.7 tdi 08 - oil light - edlithgow

Depending on your view of oil viscosity, the oid oil could either have sheared down to a lower viscosity, or polymerised NOACKed to a higher viscosity.

I'd bet the latter

5W30 and 5W40 should be pretty much the same at startup.

Maybe try 10W40 or 15W40 in it next time

IIF allowed, I suppose.

Edited by edlithgow on 14/05/2021 at 07:30

Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.7 tdi 08 - oil light - Bolt

Depending on your view of oil viscosity, the oid oil could either have sheared down to a lower viscosity, or polymerised NOACKed to a higher viscosity.

I'd bet the latter

IIF allowed, I suppose.

Or, it is possible to have a lazy pump, which if runs out of oil/gets low at some point -takes several seconds to regain pressure, its not a problem usually but does bring the pressure light on sometimes, but often happens too quick for the pressure switch to notice and driver doesn`t see it.....

Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.7 tdi 08 - oil light - mfarrow

I've had two cars (Corsa and Astra) with the earlier version of this Circle L engine, each did the same in taking ages for the oil light to go off.

A characteristic I think.

Double post, sorry. See below

Edited by edlithgow on 16/05/2021 at 07:11

I'd bet the latter

IIF allowed, I suppose.

Or, it is possible to have a lazy pump, which if runs out of oil/gets low at some point -takes several seconds to regain pressure, its not a problem usually but does bring the pressure light on sometimes, but often happens too quick for the pressure switch to notice and driver doesn`t see it.....

I'd think of that as an "and" rather than an "or".

If I'm reading correctly, it didn't do it before the oil change.

Assuming the new oil filter isn't significantly more restrictive, and has an equally effective anti-drain valve, then the only other obvious change is the oil, and the most relevant property is likely its cold viscosity.

Lower viscosity new oil might not build pressure as fast with a worn pump (my bet) or higher viscosity new oil doesn't get pumped as fast so takes longer to put the light out (received opinion).

Vauxhall Astra H Estate 1.7 tdi 08 - oil light - Bolt

I'd bet the latter

IIF allowed, I suppose.

I'd think of that as an "and" rather than an "or".

If I'm reading correctly, it didn't do it before the oil change.

Assuming the new oil filter isn't significantly more restrictive, and has an equally effective anti-drain valve, then the only other obvious change is the oil, and the most relevant property is likely its cold viscosity.

Lower viscosity new oil might not build pressure as fast with a worn pump (my bet) or higher viscosity new oil doesn't get pumped as fast so takes longer to put the light out (received opinion).

Could be anything you mentioned, proving any of them is more difficult, though would go for worn pump as they can be intermittent and depends on oil movement in the sump....

Oil pump wear state isn't likely to be significantly different before and after an oil change, unless it wore rather fast in a short time, in which case its likely not long for this world.

I suppose it could have just slowly deteriorated to the point of showing the symptom, which was, by coincidence, just after an oil change, but it seems a bit unlikely.