Mondeo/Laguna/Vectra/C5 etc - Which make and model? - gj1982

Hi there

I'm looking to buy a new motor, I awnt a diesel about 2.0 and was just wondering what people's opinions were on my options?

I really like the Mondeo (the facelift '53 reg onwards) because of the toys and interior (interiors are a big thing for me!)

But then there is the omnipresent Vectra from around the same era - is that a better car?

I like the Renault Laguna for its styling, but they are probably the most unreliable of the lot right?

Then there'e the Citroen c5, which seems a bit...plain?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Gavin

Mondeo/Laguna/Vectra/C5 etc - Which make and model? - ChannelZ

Mondeo every time. Best driving car of the lot, least electrical gremlins. Engine is better than the FIAT rubbish in the Vectras of the era.

Laguna? Well, people say Lagunas are unreliable, but I had a '96 Laguna and drove the s*** out of it for 150k and nothing went wrong, at all. Minimal servicing (one oil change was 30k late!), and apart from brakes and tyres nothing needed changed, not even suspension parts.

C5? Good luck.

Mondeo/Laguna/Vectra/C5 etc - Which make and model? - Avant

You haven't told us what your budget is, but I would agree that the Mondeo is probably the best of the ones you mention. If interiors are important look at the VW Passat.

Make sure you really need a diesel: they cost more to buy, both new and used, and you need to do at least 15,000 miles a year to make it worthwhile - and some dlesels are liable to expensive failure as they get older. If you look at a VW or Skoda secondhand, look at the 1.9 TDI engine which has a good reputation.

For the best chance of reliablity, look at a Toyota Avensis or Mazda 6 (eith petrol engines).

Mondeo/Laguna/Vectra/C5 etc - Which make and model? - ChannelZ

I've an 05 Mondeo 1.8 petrol. Been reliable as far as engine goes, the other glitches were general wear and tear you'd expect on a 7 year old car. Engine is strong, uses no oil, and does 34mpg round town, 42+mpg on the motorway. A 55 litre fillup does around 400 miles on average.

Mondeo/Laguna/Vectra/C5 etc - Which make and model? - jamie745

I'd go for a Mk3 Mondeo as well, preferably in Ghia spec. Lots of car for the money, drives better than everything else barring the Mazda 6 which is probably just as good, bombproof petrol engines, well screwed together car and so many of them out there that its easy to find a bargain.