When is the right time? - misterp
Does any else out there agonise over the keep it/ change it dilema of their motor? My mondeo is now 8 years old,I have had it for 5 1/2.It has never let me down and in this time I have taken it from 24K to 88k miles.It has cost me £400/year at the garage including mot/tyres and all necessary work and servicing.I have had regular oil changes every six months. All the usuals have been replaced including cat & timing belt (but not tensioners) . The clutch,radiator, alternator etc are original.
I realise this car is worth peanuts so do I wave goodbye and write off my losses or be proactive in parts replacement? I am worried major expenses now will offset further savings for a newer car. I am looking at honda accords from the ggreat trade centre . A 1 year old with 25000 miles for under £7k seems the way to go. I do not live locally, are these cars still under warrenty and dealer serviced generally? thanks for any advice
When is the right time? - Cyd
Can't for the life of me understand why you would want to get rid of such a good car. Even if you keep it 3 more years and spend an extra £1000 on unscheduled repairs, it'll still only have worked out at an extra £150ish per year of motoring. The Accord you mention will still depreciate a grand plus in a year.
The other 6 grand can stay in the bank and earn you around £500 in interest in the same time.

Of course, if you want an Accord.......
When is the right time? - misterp
if you want an Accord.......

cheers cyd what I want are comments like yours that encourage me to sit tight with mondy.However as a motoring lightweight I am unclear on the MOTORING reasons to keep the car.I can well appreciate the FINANCIAL reasons. Hence my posting on the worry of what to do for the best. Your post is appreciated
When is the right time? - Dave_TD
Its value now at 88k will be practically no different to its value in three years' time at 124k! Cyd's right, as long as you're not after a new car just so you can have more modern gadgets on it (ABS, aircon etc) then I should stick with what you know. Nothing major should pack up in the forseeable future on the Mondy anyway. It's a modern enough design to have decent space and handling, decent security and safety features, and still have a respectable image and be environmentally conscious.
When is the right time? - Andrew-T
One factor which may reinforce the decision to stick with the devil you know, is the feeling that the newer the car you own, the more difficult it gets to fix things yourself - and usually the more expensive too.
When is the right time? - volvoman
I agree with all of what's been said so far - your car's served you very well hasn't it. This site's full of horror stories about unreliable cars, expensive parts/repairs and overcomplex gadgets that break and cost the earth to replace. Stick with what you've got, save the money and then buy when your old car dies. Can't see car prices going anywhere other than down for the foreseeable future.

Mind you, I haven't many suggestions as to where you might invest the dosh
productively :-(
When is the right time? - Dizzy {P}
I agree with all that's been said.

In my 43 years of motoring I have several times sold on a perfectly good car only to buy a more expensive replacement that's at best not been much better and in some cases has been a disaster.
When is the right time? - jud
From what you have said the Mondeo has been a good buy, with the over the top oil changes the engine should be good to 200k. Also parts are cheap and plentiful. The trade in value is near zero so keep the dam car, but if you must have the oversized under powered petrol guzzling Accord then buy it straight and run both.
I once had a mk1 cortina for 7 years and sold it on at 12 years still a good runner!
When is the right time? - Blue {P}
Stick with the Mondy, I doubt it'll give you any trouble at all, plus it should still look smart for an 8 year old car. The only thing you might see go soon is the power steering pump, but other than the usual bits, the car should be good for about another 100K if you really do look after it...

Blue
When is the right time? - Keith S
Why do you think the steering pump is likely to go soon?
When is the right time? - Chris M
In the same predicament myself. Vectra, coming up to 6 years old and 115,000 miles. Had the car since 2 years, 65,000 miles. Car is now worth £2,000 tops but probably nearer £1,500. Absolutely reliable and just passed MoT but with 'advice' that there's play in the steering rack. Looking at the Haynes manual it looks a bit too big a job for me, so looking at several hundred (?) quid at local garage. Fair enough, but then the clutch is original and could need replacement within the year - another £300-£400 (?). How's the Alternator/Starter Motor/ABS/Shock Absorbers.......... Not big jobs in themselves but there comes a point when I'd sooner put the money towards another 2yr/60k car. But on the other hand, why get rid of a car that has provided outstanding service?

Anyone got a crystal ball they're care to lend?

Chris M
When is the right time? - googolplex
Obviously right to hang on to what you've got. A relative of mine who is in the trade thinks that the vast majority of motorists change their car far too early and I'm inclined to agree. I am not sure that you can separate financial and motoring issues in this since they its all related in a car of this age.
My Cav (157K, 94L) has been regularly serviced - oil changes etc and I've owned it since it was 2years old. It cost me in its early years but now it seems to keep going and I guess the regular oil changes are bearing fruit.

Enjoy these relatively depreciation-free years for as long as they last. And, at the end of the day, if the thing breaks and its going to cost a fortune, that's the time to consider going for something else.

Splodgeface
When is the right time? - Martin Wall
Isn't clutch replacement for an old model Vectra an engine-out job?
When is the right time? - Chris M
Yes, about 5-6 hours I think.

Chris M
When is the right time? - colinh
If the Accord is still in warranty it will probably have to be serviced at a Honda dealer. Phone one and check the service costs!
When is the right time? - prm
No, but you do need to drop the subframe. About £300
When is the right time? - MB
the clutch is probably your next major expense - why not keep it until that goes and then decide on your next move. I believe that a Mondeo clutch is close to £500.
When is the right time? - Primera_p
While you're on the subject. Does anyone know how much a Primera(1.6) clutch replacement is?
When is the right time? - joe
Stick with the Mondy. I recently faced the same dilemma. My old Galant was worthless yet reliable and comfortable, and I became quite attached to it. It needed £300 worth of work to get it through its MOT, which was more than it was worth. I had the work done, and it lasted me another year. Effectively, a year's motoring gor a capital cost of £300. Compare that to the depreciation of a newer car.

End of life cars represent the best value, towards the end my Galant was basically free.
When is the right time? - Dynamic Dave
Stick with the Mondy.

Please remember to check the dates of threads when replying to them. As the original poster asked the question way back on Dec 31, 2002, chances are he may have now sold on the Mondeo now anyway.

Please also remember that Discussion is next door. I have deleted some posts from this thread that I considered chit chat, rather than technical advice.

--
Dynamic Dave
Back Room Moderator

mailto:dave_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk