Skoda Fabia 1.4 MPI - No reverse and stiff gearbox when hot - iyarno

I just started getting an strange problem with my gearbox (2002 1.4 MPI Fabia). When the car is cold, everything is fine, however after warming the car up and driving for 20 mins the gearbox seems to 'stiffen up'. It gets difficult to engage 1st and impossible to engage reverse. I have to wait for the engine (and gearbox oil?) to cool down before the gearbox feel normal again and I can engage reverse.

Should I check the gearbox oil levels and replace all the gearbox oil? It's on about 65k miles. There doesn't seem to be a leak of any kind. Or is this a cable adjustment problem or something else entirely.

Any pointers or recommendations gratefully received.

Thanks, Ian

Skoda Fabia 1.4 MPI - No reverse and stiff gearbox when hot - Peter D

Next time it is hot turn the engine off and check for 1st and revers, if they go in then I uspect you have a clutch problem and it is dragging. Regards Peter

Skoda Fabia 1.4 MPI - No reverse and stiff gearbox when hot - KARTHIK

Could you please let me know how you resolved your problem?

I am having the same issue with my Skoda fabia 2002 1.4 petrol now. The gear box was fine when i started this morning (temp was 0 deg outside) and then after 10minutes of drive, I couldnt engage the first gear. I could do it only going to 2nd gear and then move to first. I couldnt engage the reverse gear at all!! Very nervous, if something is wrong?

Skoda Fabia 1.4 MPI - No reverse and stiff gearbox when hot - Collos25

The OP may not come back but I suspect the answer from Peter will apply in just the same manner.