Ford S-Max 1.8TDCi Zetec 07 Plate 17000miles - Ford SMax Power Loss - Critical Engine Fault - mcveanjim@aol.com

Yes indeed...I own a low milage Ford Smax - Bought brand new because my wife was expecting twins and we needed to get three car seats in the back...

Things didnt start well with this motor - The Clutch burned out in the first couple of months and was replaced under warranty (a design fault apparently Dual Mass Flywheel)

Then we got plagued with a knocking thro the steering column, and eventually a moaning when we turned corners - resulting in work on the power steering and a new steering rack (also under warrenty)

I did persist with this car thinking to myself that once the bugs had been ironed out - then surely this would be a good motor.....little did I know

Then we had the mysterious battery drain...resulting in a new battery...

Further battery draining problems that led to us needing jump starts at least a dozen times from the guys in the Ford Garage...not good....

The icing on the cake tho - last december - driving thro town and INSTANT power loss and Critical Engine Fault - Creep mode and just made it back to the garage.

The guy phoned the next day £150 for an electrical componant under the wheel arch? plus another £100 for investigations and fitting.

Get the motor back on Crimbo eve...Boxing day - driving to Tesco...INSTANT Power loss and Critical Engine Fault - Immobilizer Activated and Lots of Swearing on my part.

The Garage is closed till Jan 5th so the car is left outside the house till then,

Ford Customer Care (Laugh) couldnt get past the WARRANTY word as the motor is now 4yr old...and liased with the garage for us...

The branch manager phones to say that the car is OK and that they cannot recreate the fault and that their computer didnt show up anything...I tell them to FIX IT!

Two weeks later - Ford Call and say it is sorted - A Battery Fault...Hmmm Battery Starts the motor not drives it...but I am told THAT is the problem...We will see says I - Another £107 for a battery....

Less than a week later the SAME DAMN problem - Critical Engine Fault without warning - Power Loss - Creep mode...etc

The Camel now has one straw too many and I call the garage to pick it up...and VOSA to report a SERIOUS Safety Defect with my engine...

The long and the short of it is - there is a serious problem with the 1.8TDCi engine - VOSA have deemed it DANGEROUS and are investigating...I am at the end of my tether and have had advice from the the Trading Standards - I am going in to confront the branch manager who told me that the Battery was the problem and try not to kill him....I want a refund or Replacement under my Statutory Rights and The SALE OF GOODS ACT 1979....

Will post my results when VOSA And the Garage get back to me - they have now had the car for nearly 4 weeks and cannot find the fault - oh and it was in Critical Engine Fault mode when they plugged it in to their computer almost a month ago!

FORD ! ADMIT THE PROBLEM and RECALL THE DAMN MOTOR!

Ford S-Max 1.8TDCi Zetec 07 Plate 17000miles - Ford SMax Power Loss - Critical Engine Fault - ChannelZ

Do you WORK for the Sun? Only OTHER place I've seen so many WORDS in capitals!!

I'm wondering why you think posting on here is going to change anything? Contact Ford UK and get it sorted. Go to a different dealer is another option.

As for your accusation that there is something wrong with the 1.8TDCI, I suspect millions of other drivers being propelled by this engine would disagree.

Ford S-Max 1.8TDCi Zetec 07 Plate 17000miles - Ford SMax Power Loss - Critical Engine Fault - gordonbennet

'''I'm wondering why you think posting on here is going to change anything?'''

Well it is a motoring forum, which means observations other than positive can be aired..;)

Ford S-Max 1.8TDCi Zetec 07 Plate 17000miles - Ford SMax Power Loss - Critical Engine Fault - sandy56

Sounds like you need a good lawyer to make your case.

Sounds like a catalogue of screw ups by Ford.

Ford S-Max 1.8TDCi Zetec 07 Plate 17000miles - Ford SMax Power Loss - Critical Engine Fault - bonzo dog

Hi Jim, sorry to hear of your problems & whilst I too would have been using choice language at the time of the breakdowns, shouting on here tends to put people off from offering support & advice.

Your tactics in trying to obtain redress from the dealership & Ford appears to be two-fold:

1. trying to persuade VOSA that the design of the engine is inherantly dangerous. Whilst I may be wrong, I'll be very surprised if this is VOSA's conclusions.
  2. Claiming under SOGA. This is difficult after 4 years of ownership but ..... SOGA does allow for complaints for up to 6 years. The trouble is that SOGA (or anywhere else as far as I know) does not define how durable goods should be.

Can I make a serious suggestion? A post on the legal forum http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=94684 is offering legal help as part of a BBC program for situations just like yours. Why not give it a try?

Either way, let us know what happens & good luck

Ford S-Max 1.8TDCi Zetec 07 Plate 17000miles - Ford SMax Power Loss - Critical Engine Fault - Chris M

Could the mileage of only 17,000 over nearly five years be part of the problem here? Why didn't you go for a petrol model?

Ford S-Max 1.8TDCi Zetec 07 Plate 17000miles - Ford SMax Power Loss - Critical Engine Fault - The Gingerous One

So the expensive turbo/DMF/DPF (delete as applicable/relevant) hasn't gone then ??

I have a friend with an S-Max as well (56 reg), he has found a bloke under-the-arches who sorts out most of the electrical problems for him. Once the warranty was up he ditched the main dealer & used him. I'd find someone similar.

Either that or fix the car then p/ex for something more suitable. It'll be less hassle. And a diesel only doing 17k miles in 4 years is asking for trouble.