honda crv 2.2 diesel 08yr 44k - Turbo whistle - Bachey

To all users firstly forgive me im new on the site tonight and hope that in the right place asking the right questions.

I have recently bought the above veh. Its the Ex and the quality is fantastic. I love it except as I have read on the site. My veh is making the same noise as others have reported, 'turbo whistle' when the engine is cold and between 1400 - 1800/2000 rpm, as soon as the engine upto running temp this noise goes.My veh is covered with fullHonda warranty for 12mths so if there is a prob I need to get it sorted.I visited a local Honda dealer and I must say the quality and level of service recieved was 2nd to none.

There chief engineer took my veh out and agreed there was a noise,he did say he was not aware of any reports direct from honda re this noise.He then picked a CRV at random off the plot and we went in that,it to had exactly the same noise .

He/we concluded that this was not a fault with the turbo /engine but was particular to all 2.2 CRV,s.hilst I washappy and reasured by this I must admit that if id paid £30k for a new one I would nt want to listeneing to the whistle for the first 15mins of every journey.

Any suggestions or do I/all of us have to tolerate this??

Regards Howard.

honda crv 2.2 diesel 08yr 44k - Turbo whistle - sandy56

Does the CRV make the noise when the engine is warm, when started?

I have a 2.0 L Toyota diesel and apart from it being noiser on startup when COLD there is no whistle.

Try the Honda owners forums- they Honda are not perfect. I would keep digging.

honda crv 2.2 diesel 08yr 44k - Turbo whistle - Bachey

Thanks for your reply sandy. No its only when it is cold from start up and of course after the veh has been left for a few hours.

I must be honest this is its only fault,and its annoying.

honda crv 2.2 diesel 08yr 44k - Turbo whistle - focussed

I have a 07 manufactured 2008 model Honda Civic 2.2 ctdi diesel. I get exactly the same very slight audible turbo whistle from cold, it only happens from overnight cold and by the time I have done 1.5- 2 miles it is not audible.

The only reason I can think of for the cause of the noise is that when the lube oil is cold there is a slight drag on the turbo bearings/shaft and the whistle is at a slightly lower pitch and more audible to human ears. When the oil is warmer the turbo spins faster and the noise is at a higher pitch and not noticeable.