Ford Focus 1.8 Tddi - Oil in water tank - mbmb11

My oil light started to flash today, so when i got home waited a couple hours for it to cool down, went to check oil level and saw that water tank was all dark inside. Upon opening it was full of oil!!!

I drove to one garage who said it was the cooler that needed replacing (he asked me if my heater had stopped working which it had). Hedidnt fully inspect the car but had a glance over it and came to this conclusion. He also said it would take 3days to fix as every pipe would need flushing.

2nd garage have said if its the cooler it will take 3 hours to fix and flush, however they are going to want to fully check it first as it could be head gasket.

1st garage then said it will be head gasket if i dont get it fixed now, and notto drive the car.

Anyone been in this situation? What was the matter with your car??

Im not sure which to trust, one seemingly more honest in terms of labour time, but suggesting more costly work, the other offering what seemed like 'experienced' advice but want to charge me 3 days labour!!!!

Any help would be most appreciated

Ford Focus 1.8 Tddi - Oil in water tank - Englishbullterrier

Oil in water = blown head gasket, 99%.

The coolant system and the lubrication system are 2 totally different systems. For them to breach, it takes a blown head gasket. The compression in the cylinders then forces oil into the water system.

It's a VERY simple test that can be carried out by most competent garages. They have a simple coolant water analysis tool that will indicate immediately if the head gasket is blown. Try and locate a garage with such testing facilities.

Best of luck............ebt

Ford Focus 1.8 Tddi - Oil in water tank - TeeCee

Unless it's got one of those combo radiator / oil-cooler jobs and the thing's failed, causing exchange of fluids between the two.....

Ford Focus 1.8 Tddi - Oil in water tank - jc2

Every turbocharged Ford(petrol & diesel)is fitted with an oil cooler-usually one between oil filter and block.The TDI & TDDI are not known for blowing headgaskets.