How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - japdriver

My father has recently passed away, and I have taken ownership of his car (a Nissan Note). Unfortunately it stinks of cigarette smoke, as he was a driving smoker.

I would NEVER buy a car which a smoker has owned because of the disgusting smell inside, but this is a different situation.....

I was wondering if anyone had any bright ideas about odour removal? Clearly leaving the windows down is not practical.........!

Other than the smell, the 1.4 petrol engined car is a really nice drive, well specced and very preactical......just the smell urrgh!

Help!

How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - Roly93

I'm sure you get plenty of good tips from the valeting fraternity, but one that I know is to leave a saucer of instant coffee granules on both front seats for a day or so and this helps to absourb the odour.

How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - craig-pd130

For things like spilt milk and juice, a small bowl of vinegar left in the car overnight gets rid of smells very well. Baking soda (sodium bicarb) in bowls is also great for absorbing smells.

It may need a full interior vac & shampoo before these are fully effective though.

How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - ChannelZ

Neutradol do a "Shake'n'Vac" type product that absorbs the smells. Shake in on the seats and carpet, and leave it for a few days. Vacuum out and most of the smell should be gone. Cleaning the glass, dash, etc too will help. Finally, get an "aircon bomb" which will clear out the air vents. It's a can that you set in the footwell with the aircon on recycle. Set off the "bomb", close the door and it'll deodorise the car and vents.

How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - Chris M

Get a professional valet. I had this problem a few years ago. The valet was only £30 and it virtually eliminated the smell (on a hot day it would come back slightly but only for about a year). The professionals are used to preping second hand cars for resale, so know what to use.

Edited by Chris M on 05/02/2012 at 16:16

How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - gordonbennet

You will never get rid of it completely, its embedded in the upholstery and gets into the plastics, despite virtually scrubbing the steering wheel of trucks driven by smokers by the end of a shift the steering wheel has become 'tacky' as the chemicals heat up and this in turn gets on your hands, horrible sensation feeling grubby similar to a tramp i imagine.

The roof lining is where its gone in deepest.

How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - Andrew-T

You will never get rid of it completely,

You will, but you may have to wait a long time. The Shake'n'vac stuff works by absorbing onto a powder surface which can be removed. But the odour has to be volatile - or you couldn't smell it - so by definition it will disappear given time. Ventilation, perhaps forced, is the answer. Or you can blanket it with an alternative preferable smell.

The previous owners of our present house had smoked, and although the smell wasn't very strong, ceilings and walls were a pale buff as a result. Repainting probably covered the smell as well as the colour.

How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - bathtub tom

The previous owners of our present house had smoked, and although the smell wasn't very strong, ceilings and walls were a pale buff as a result. Repainting probably covered the smell as well as the colour.

I re-decorated the in-laws bungalow. The ceilings were yellow with cigarette smoke. Washing it off with a sugar soap solution was an awful job.

How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - 2balle
I have used autoglym odour eliminator it has been very effective at counteracting dog and sick smells in my vehicles
How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - Armitage Shanks {p}

Not the right time of year but fresh grass cuttings have been mentioned in the past for niff reduction. As others have said, the headlining is the problem area. Get one from a scrappie?

How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - Ethan Edwards

First car I actually bought with money, I was so chuffed to think that although I bought a smelly car (from a cigar smoker) it had these cool brown tinted windows! How cool was that!

Sadly turned out the tinting was just dirt. Lots of washing, carpet shake n vac, vaxing later on it was odour free and sadly the window tinting was no more.

I often wonder if that chaps lungs were the same shade of treacle brown.

How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - Hamsafar

Laundry liquid and hot water and gloves for hard surfaces and seatbelts.

Foam cleaner for headlining and textile covered pillar trims.

Hire a RugDoctor (TM) with upholstery attachment for the carpets, mats and seats. You may also use this gently on the headlining, you can save money by buying the shampoo for this elsewhere such as supermarket or discount store, Vax is good, as is something like 2000/2001.

Edited by Hamsafar on 06/02/2012 at 12:54

How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - angryflat12

We have an old boot downstairs from us who chain smokes and stinks out the building. Astonish Fabric Refresher Trigger Spray from Amazon works quite well so should do the job in a car. Smoke is a stubborn stench and revolting if you're a non smoker. It's also fatal so not a laughing matter.

Smoke is a stubborn stench and revolting if you're a non smoker. It's also fatal so not a laughing matter.

Only if you are unlucky enough to be susceptible. Some chain smokers reach a remarkable age because of their genes, while polluting everyone else's atmosphere. One can only assume that they might have lived even longer if they hadn't become addicted.

How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - Will deBeast

I bought a car which had been so well valeted, that the smoke smell only became apparent a few days after we got it home.

I did think of rejecting it, but instead gave it a really good wet vacuum, including the roof lining.

I tried an ionizer, which made a slight improvement.

Finally, I used a neutradol ball, which I change every couple of months - it's gradually helping.

I suspect there will always be a very slight whiff on hot days - but it's pretty much gone now.

How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - Xileno

Over twenty years ago my brother bought a late model Cavalier that had been smoked in. He knew this at the time, in fact the car was his Director's. A wet vacuum of the seats and headlining solved about 90% of the smell and the remainder disappeared gradually over the next year or two.

How to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke? - retgwte

you can get a smoke bomb type thing that you set off inside the car and it fills the car with stuff that kills the smell of smokers

you can get a smoke bomb type thing that you set off inside the car and it fills the car with stuff that kills the smell of smokers

It's probably as effective as those little green 'trees' people hang on the rear-view mirrors. Hide one aroma under a slightly nicer one.