2k to Spend - Advice please - carolinep

HI

Need some advice please on what to buy, my husband does a 50 mile round trip each day 90% of which is motorway driving.

Have a couple of kids to ferry about at the weekend and would do a longer trip a few times a year for holidays.

It needs to be a decent size as he is tall and finds my Honda Jazz uncomfortable.

Am looking for relaibility as know nothing about cars and would only be able to do the most basic maintenance ourselves.

Can anybody recommend what we should be looking for, am wondering whether to spend the 2k and be prepared to pay more for repair bills or scrape together up to 4k in the hope that it buys us a bit more relaibility and hopefully not as many repairs.

Thanks

2k to Spend - Advice please - Ethan Edwards

Yes- spend no more than £750 on a old Mondeo (Great VFM they are) and use the rest for the Insurance.

Sorry not following why would the insurance be that high??

2k to Spend - Advice please - jamie745

It wouldnt be.

There's lots of options. For £2,000 you can get a half decent car if you look hard enough. If reliability the key requirement then its probably worth looking at something Korean as for £2k you can get a Korean car 3-4 years younger in some cases than even a Mondeo or a Vectra in similar condition. Things like the Hyundai Sonata or Kia Magentis, things like that. Dull cars but usually trouble free.

2k to Spend - Advice please - Ethan Edwards

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/motorinsurance/9024633/Average-car-insurance-premium-nears-1000.html

If it's a new driver..in a less good area...might be much much more. Especially if they make a wrong decision like say a new driver buying a Alfa Romeo 159 ....nice car just not for a novice.

When anyone ask's that question, always but always, they all seek to spend up to the last penny on the car neglecting to make ANY provision for the Insurance/ Tax costs. What if it needs a new exhaust /tyres etc. For a 2K budget to be sensible spend no more than £750 esecially as it sounds like the OP isn't that loaded. The clue's are in there. #two kids'...'struggle to scrape together £4K' etc.

and like I said the Mondeo is hard to top for VFM. Plenty of room too.

no not a new driver, my husband 20 years driving me 25 years so don't think we are at the top of the insurance bracket to be fair,

And the area well it's ok.

I see your point and yes we aren't loaded but then again not exactly on the streets either.

No we just prefer not to spend all our cash on a car, we would like a workhorse that gets us from A to B with the least expense and hassle possible.

Not really bothered what it is.

Take your point on the Mondeo had a 1.8 LX 10 odd years ago and was a great family car so may well take a look at those.

Was more interested in peoples opinions on whether the difference between a 2 k spend and a 4k spend is that apparant in that would it buy us significantly more reliability and value or is it better to buy cheaper and spend on repairs as and when.

Thanks

thanks Jamie

Hadnt given either of those any thought, had heard of the Sonata but not the Kia Magentis

Will add them to the list

2k to Spend - Advice please - unthrottled

Whether the difference between a 2 k spend and a 4k spend is that apparant in that would it buy us significantly more reliability and value or is it better to buy cheaper and spend on repairs as and when.

I don't think it would be significant. Most people spend too much on buying a car, and scrimp on running costs. This is the wrong way round.

Ethan Edwards is absolutely right. A £1000 Mondeo is very likely to work. It can be very liberating to drive a car of low value because your liability is very low. Take out a decent break down policy and enjoy the stress free driving. If it doesn't work-throw it away and get something else!

A £4k car still needs consumables (brake pads/discs, tyres, oil changes exhaust etc) just as much as a £2k car.

The key to buying a cheap car is avoiding the temptation of trying to be clever and buying a car that appears undervalued.

2k to Spend - Advice please - HandCart

I'd second the general advice you've been given.

One other slight consideration: Whilst Hyundais and Kias tend to be very reliable, if they DO need a part, there may be no 'alternative manufacturer' part available and you have to visit the Hyundai/Kia dealer, where the parts may not be that cheap, perhaps may not be immediately in stock , and is there such a dealer in a convenient location for you?

A Mondeo on the other hand can be taken to any old backstreet garage and they'll be able to see to it quickly and cheaply. Not that much is likely to go wrong anyway.

I happen to like Kias and Hyundais, but for budget motoring I always end up thinking the above, so have so far never taken the plunge!

I would advise against trying to 'scrape together £4k' because a perfectly decent car could be had for much less. Suggestions of the Ford Mondeo are very good, loads of them around so theres lots of choice. I suggested the cheap Korean cars mainly due to the fact you can get something a bit newer for that sort of money and they tend to be well put together.

If you're not overly fussy or looking for super economical diesels then theres plenty of choice around for 1-2k.

2k to Spend - Advice please - SteveLee

Another vote for the Mondeo, you'll get a cracker for £2K.

Just had a brief search for what could be had Mondeo-wise for that money and came across this little beauty!

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120444429...p

Fantastic condition with a proven, reliable and punchy engine. Could do a lot worse for £895.

2k to Spend - Advice please - balleballe

Personally - I would choose a similar aged Jap car

The old mazda 626 can be had for a similar price to the mondeo - for example:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201204445079815/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/price-to/1000/make/mazda/radius/1500/postcode/ne82af/page/1?logcode=p

Out of the two i'd take the Mondy. I always liked the zetec, ideal for commuting without being depressing elsewhere.

2k to Spend - Advice please - corax

Another good Jap car would be the 98-2002 Honda Accord. They are a bit thirsty (about 30mpg) but extremely reliable and will do big mileages without breaking sweat.. They tend to have good service histories due to the type of people who own them.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201202441839146

2k to Spend - Advice please - balleballe

V.reliable cars them

Seen quite a few with over 200k on them

thanks all for all your advice

i think the Mondeo is looking like a leader,just got to find one local.

one last question though is there a particular model that is better than the others or are they all pretty much the same

Will most likely spend 1 - 2 k

Thank you

one last question though is there a particular model that is better than the others or are they all pretty much the same

Not really. Theres plenty of different options depending on what you want but they're all basically the same car. The basic LX has everything you'd really need, everything higher up just puts more toys on it. Most of the engines are the same except the petrol V6 models which you probably wouldnt want anyway but they are good engines all the same. For the higher half of your budget you could get a decent petrol mk3 on maybe a 52 plate with under 100k on it. The mk3 is a lot bigger than the mk2.

Personally i would say avoid any of them with ridiculously huge wheels and low profile tyres, the only problems i've experienced with Mondeo's is bumping the big alloys and you end up with a slow puncture for the rest of time.

2k to Spend - Advice please - Avant

Caroline - I assume you're keeping the Jazz and that the second car is for your husband's commute. If so you have one reliable car so can get away with not spending too much on the other.

I'd normally say that for £2k condition matters more than make or model: but in your case you have a tall husband who needs to be comfortable - so he needs to go to some used car dealers and sit a a few different models. Tall people can be long in the leg or in the back, and so one can't generalise as to what will suit him, and how low the seat can go.

Japanes and Korean models make sense: nothing goes soldiering on and on quite like an old Toyota - but will they be comfortable? One more to look at is a Volvo S40 or S60 or V50 if you can find one to suit your budget: the S60 is said by some to have had the best seats in the business.

Don't be tempted by a diesel: well-used diesels can be liable to major and expensive failure, however reliable they were when young..

Edited by Avant on 03/02/2012 at 22:45

2k to Spend - Advice please - greenmeeny

What about something like this.... my uncle has just bought one. A no nonsense MPV with reasonable running costs. Great for the taller driver... my uncle is 6 feet 8!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Kia-Carens-MPV-1991cc-Diesel-/260938170161?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cc1207f31#ht_1142wt_937

2k to Spend - Advice please **UPDATED** - carolinep

Hi All

Just a quick update,bought a 05 Reg 1.8LX Mondeo over the weekend with 60k miles

very clean with a Full Service History from a private seller.

paid 2k for it and very happy.

Husband had just gone to work in it.

Many thanks all for your suggestions it really did help.

Caroline

2k to Spend - Advice please **UPDATED** - ChannelZ

Hi All

Just a quick update,bought a 05 Reg 1.8LX Mondeo over the weekend with 60k miles

very clean with a Full Service History from a private seller.

paid 2k for it and very happy.

Husband had just gone to work in it.

Nice job! I've a 54-plate 1.8LX with 70k, and it's brilliant. OK, I had to put a bit of money in to it last year (clutch, suspension parts), and it has a few minor unimportant electrical gremlins, but otherwise it's been totally reliable.

The engine is a gem, as it's really a Mazda engine. Totally unburstable.

2k to Spend - Advice please **UPDATED** - Avant

Well done, and thank you for coming back and telling us. It sounds as if you've done all the right things - a good make and model, petrol rather than diesel, and mileage that's not too high or too low.

Best of luck.

2k to Spend - Advice please **UPDATED** - jamie745

Always nice to hear a good outcome. Well done, sounds like a solid car.