Nissan Almera 1.5se (2004) - Nissan Almera engine management light problems - bwfcuk

Hi all, Im new to this forum and was just browsing for a bit of help with my problem, I hope someone can help.
We got our car off my father in law a few weeks ago (Nissan Almera 1.5se 2004) , the day after we got it we drove 150 mile trip to my mums and the engine management light came on after an hour of motorway driving but the car was showing no symptoms at all. This light was on all the time we were there, then on our way back home a few days later the exhaust started blowing, We got the middle and back replaced on the exhaust but the light was still on, I asked the garage to see what codes it was bringing up as at this point the car was hesitating on accellaration when I first start it up on a morning, It came up with three codes, air flow sensor, Oxygen sensor and one other thing that i can't remember but it had something to do with fuel?! They decided it was the air flowq sensor cleaned it out and the light stayed off for about a week, I took it back in and they were convinced the air flow sensor needed replacing, They quoted £270, we bought the part our selves (genuine bosch from euro car parts) and done it ourselves, a day later the hesitating returned and the light comes on every now and again particularly when we have been driving the car continuosly for half an hour or more. Sorry its so long but wanted to give the full story, Id really appreciate if someone could give me their opinion of what it could be, any advice would be great?
Many thanks
Kirsty :)

Nissan Almera 1.5se (2004) - Nissan Almera engine management light problems - rcbikeracer

The Almeria 1500 has an issue with the timing chain. It stretches and then the crank sensor and the cam sensor give different readings to the ECU, hence the engine management light and misfire..

Cure is to replace the timing chain, about £1200 at the dealers or about £900 at your local back street garage.

And it will need doing every 40000 miles or so.

My Almeria is long gone !

Nissan Almera 1.5se (2004) - Nissan Almera engine management light problems - bathtub tom

This engine is well known for having timing chain problems, especially if the oil hasn't been kept clean. As it came from a known source, what's its service history like?

I certainly hope rcbikeracer's not right about needing doing every 40K, mine's coming up to that now, although it's had annual oil changes (5K or less).

It's quite easy to check by removing the cam cover and measuring the tensioner protuberance. More than 1cm IIRC and it needs a new chain. There's plenty of information on the interweb thingmy about it.

Nissan Almera 1.5se (2004) - Nissan Almera engine management light problems - bwfcuk

Thank you both for the advice although it was the answer i was dreading :-(

It has been VERY well looked after, Funnily enough tho its at 40 odd thousands miles now, Coincidence?!

I've read a lot about the whole dodgy timing chain thing but because none of the codes were for the camshft sensor i thought we were in the clear.

What is the best oil to use on a engine with a timing chain?

Nissan Almera 1.5se (2004) - Nissan Almera engine management light problems - ChannelZ

What is the best oil to use on a engine with a timing chain?

Clean oil.

Before going to the expense of doing the timing chain, try replacing the O2 sensors on the exhaust. There's a chance they're stuffed if the exhaust was off for replacement.

Nissan Almera 1.5se (2004) - Nissan Almera engine management light problems - jc2

Could also be a bad connection on the O2 sensor if it was disturbed changing the exhaust.

Ok thanks, we will try cleaning/checking o2 sensor contacts (and the clean oil ha!) i did wonder about that with it being on/close to the exhaust but we've just spent £198 on an air flow sensor and didnt want to be spending any more on something that may or may not work, I must admit tho it does feel better in performance since the air flow sensor was replaced apart from the hesitation on cold start and the light isnt on constantly just ocassionally.

We definatly wont be spending all that money on replacing a timing chain no way...Nissan make my blood boil, Why wasn't it a recall if its a notorious faultly chain, They quoted £85 to get the codes read.. I think not when i could get it done for £40 elsewhere grrr! Rant over :-)