Ford - Galvanised body - kestrel

I've had my Ford Focus for 9 years and there are no signs of rust on the body at all.I believe the body was galvanised. Now i am wanting a new car i would like to know if the current models have this or an equally good process.The brochures and sales reps aren't much help in this regard.

Ford - Galvanised body - skidpan

Car bodies are not galvanised as such i.e. they are not dipped in molton zinc. If they were they would distort and no 2 cars would ever be the same shape plus paint does nor stick to galvanising very well unless the propper etch primers are used. All new cars are dipped in an electrically charged paint that gets into all the nooks and crannies, this paint is zinc rich thus the confusion with galvanised bodywork.

Ford - Galvanised body - RT

Car bodies are not galvanised as such i.e. they are not dipped in molton zinc. If they were they would distort and no 2 cars would ever be the same shape plus paint does nor stick to galvanising very well unless the propper etch primers are used. All new cars are dipped in an electrically charged paint that gets into all the nooks and crannies, this paint is zinc rich thus the confusion with galvanised bodywork.

Galvanising consists of electrodeposition. Hot-dip is commonly called galvanising but isn't strictly.

It would seem that a simple Google search reveals that a number of brands are galvanised.

Ford - Galvanised body - xtrailman

The body warrenty is the give away, both my xtrails have had a 12 year perforantion warrenty.

If a cars only got six, i would expect it isnt "galvanised"

My Astra had a 12-year anti-perforation warranty - it wasn't galvanised - Vauxhall were no doubt relying on the fact that owners wouldn't have it inspected every year during full-price servicing at a franchised dealer.

My Hyundai has a 10-year anti-perforation warranty, it's not galvanised either.

Warranty is all about marketing and ensuring that the cost of meeting claims is built into the initial price.

Ford - Galvanised body - ChannelZ

My Astra had a 12-year anti-perforation warranty - it wasn't galvanised

All Astras from 1998 onwards are fully galvanised.

They still rust around the wheel arches as they didn't bother cleaning the spot welds before the zinc is applied, so they rust from the inside out. Vx won't cover it, either.

My Astra had a 12-year anti-perforation warranty - it wasn't galvanised

All Astras from 1998 onwards are fully galvanised.

They still rust around the wheel arches as they didn't bother cleaning the spot welds before the zinc is applied, so they rust from the inside out. Vx won't cover it, either.

So it was - and checking further, so is my Hyundai - strange how brochures hide that in the small print.

Ford - Galvanised body - Collos25

I worked for a large washing machine facturer many years ago their cabinets were made out of steel galvanised with zinc the metal was called zinctec never had any warped cabinets.When I visited the Pheaton body plant recently the bodies underwent a process called zinc electrolysis after being degreased.So the question is when is zinc not zinc.

I worked for a large washing machine facturer many years ago their cabinets were made out of steel galvanised with zinc the metal was called zinctec never had any warped cabinets.When I visited the Pheaton body plant recently the bodies underwent a process called zinc electrolysis after being degreased.So the question is when is zinc not zinc.

From my schoolboy science, galvanising and zinc electrolysis are the same thing - but I'm no expert on this.

Ford - Galvanised body - xtrailman

The Zinc is the sacrificial anode.

RR used to have lumps of Zinc fitted to the front wings.

Ford - Galvanised body - kestrel

I've had my Ford Focus for 9 years and there are no signs of rust on the body at all.I believe the body was galvanised. Now i am wanting a new car i would like to know if the current models have this or an equally good process.The brochures and sales reps aren't much help in this regard.

I have since found out that the new Fiesta i had in mind to buy only has a 6 year perforation warranty.My Focus had a 12 year warranty so it would appear that Ford have less confidence in whatever paint process they use.Pity really as i find it economically viable to keep my cars for a good few years, especially as mk1 Focus's(Foci?) seem to be in good nick bodywise.

I seem to remember the Seat Leon being promoted as 'galvanised' at the same time as i bought my mk1 focus.Iwas under the impression then that these were the only modest priced cars that were treated so.

Ford - Galvanised body - madf

Almost every car is made with zinc coated steel.. It's the only way to resist rust.

Ford - Galvanised body - streaky

I don't think Fords are very good at resisting rust generally; I have seen several Mk1 Focuses with the rear door bottoms rotting out and the original Ka is very bad for rust, so much so that there was some comment in Autocar about it recently. I bet the Ka was never galvanised; I don't believe it was even painted properly.

Ford - Galvanised body - Drivethru

I don't think Fords are very good at resisting rust generally; I have seen several Mk1 Focuses with the rear door bottoms rotting out and the original Ka is very bad for rust, so much so that there was some comment in Autocar about it recently. I bet the Ka was never galvanised; I don't believe it was even painted properly.

I agree with you, however, I have just bought a new Ka after owning a twelve year old Micra for ten years which was just showing rust around the wheel arches. I have had Fiestas before which showed rust after about five years and said I wouldn't buy another Ford for that reason but I don't like the new Micra or Aygo and I do love the Ka. I am just going to keep it clean and polished and hope they have improved with this model.

Ford - Galvanised body - Collos25

The original car never had any rust treatment the consequences are there to see,galvanising is not the only way to stop corrosion it can be made in many recipes to avoid rust but the result is expensive ie top quality stainless for one.Its exposure to air that causes rust so if you paint it properly with many coats you can also hold the bug back tried by RR but the rust was already in the metal the results were rust buckets but the crown must go to first 1957 victors rusted through in less than 6 months closly followed by the Cresta and Velox.I had a 58 cresta 3 back windows a piece of rope to keep the rear doors closed when it was stood still the inside wing moved under the strain of the steering box ,sequin bench seats good for !!!!!!!!