I need a new car! - Johnny20
My corolla is getting too expensive to keep. Group 10 insurance (I'm 19), tax for a 2.0, expensive parts and servicing mean I am going to have to get something smaller and newer for about £2500-3000.

I need something cheap to run, low insurance and is reliable etc.
I've seen a decent '99 Fiesta 1.25 Zetec and also Corsa's and Polo's, I'm not sure if they are going to be trouble or not.

Has anyone got any suggestions or had any experience of those cars?

Thanks

I need a new car! - clariman
Micra or Saxo perhaps?
I need a new car! - DavidHM
Saxos are too small for anyone over 5'8", Micras are a bit pedestrian (not literally) and Corsas handle like boats. A Polo at that money will be a few years older and the 1.0 is slower than walking.

A '99 Fiesta 1.25 handles great, doesn't have a lot of room but it's better than a Saxo and parts are everywhere. It might be a Ford and therefore probably doesn't have the absolute best reliability, but for the money it's a decent, interesting car.

Plus, if the mileage is low and you don't keep it too long, the reliability aspect should be fine unless you're very unlucky anyway.
I need a new car! - Dynamic Dave
Corsas handle like boats.

That would depend if it were the old or new model. The latter is 200% better than the old one.
I need a new car! - Ben79
Saxos are too small for anyone over 5'8",

I'm 6'2 and had no problems in my Saxo.
I need a new car! - DavidHM
Okay, perhaps not *everyone* but a mate of mine (6'2" and size 12) had one for a year but sold it because it was too small. He bought a brand new Clio instead, which he has been very happy with over the last 2 years and 40k.

I also drove the Saxo (I'm 6'1" and size 9) and I'm amazed he stuck with the car for that long.
I need a new car! - Cardew
Unless you have a rogue car nothing on the market, and certainly not those you suggest, will be as reliable as the Corolla.
I need a new car! - FergusTheDog
This is very interesting. Father in Law wants to bale out of an immaculate Audi A4 (with about 12k on the clock) because he says it is too expensive (£120 a year servicing but the insurance is starting to bite in view of his age). He wants a Toyota Corolla - which as far as I can see is pretty horrible and won't save him a bean. Any idea how to convince him?

PS - in your case I would spend a few bob more and get a Focus.
I need a new car! - nick
I'd agree with Cardew. In this price range a Corolla would be the best buy for reliability and the 'sensible' buy. Just don't fall asleep driving it! But it'll get you from A to B more often than anything else.
I need a new car! - Martin Wall
Therein lies the problem - the most reliable Japanese cars generally cost more in insurance/servicing than the usual Fiesta/Corsa/etc.

What about trying to find a Corolla with a smaller engine - or maybe even a Toyota Starlet - ok it's (very!) dull but it will be reliable.

Are the UK-built Japanese cars any cheaper to insure/service - newer model Corolla/Honda Civic/Nissan Micra/Almera?

Good luck!

(Fiesta is nicest to drive out of the cars you mentioned)
I need a new car! - Blue {P}
Go with the Fiesta, decent build on the later models, nice design, fantastic handling, and the 1.25 is reasonably quick around the town. OK, OK, I may be biased, I just happen to like it a lot. :)

Blue