Any - If it looks too good to be true...... - balleballe

Just a question to those more experienced/in the trade

Whilst on autotrader I noticed a mazda that is for sale for around £1000-£1200 less than market value.

MOT till march and taxed till september

I phoned the dealer (who lives just 10 miles from me) asking if there was any service histtory or receipts/bills

He replied "we took the car as p/x and are selling if for the same price we got it for, enabling a quick sale, There is some paper work but you're better off coming down and seeing the paper work for yourself as I am unsure"

Does that sound dodgy to you?

Car is a mazda 6

Any - If it looks too good to be true...... - unthrottled

Perfectly plausible. How old is the car? if the car is older than the dealer's usual fare, he'll either auction it or keep it round the back and try to flog it quietly. My car was a p/ex. We bought it for the same price as it was p/exed for. I know that because I knew the person who traded it in!

Any - If it looks too good to be true...... - Bobbin Threadbare

I bought mine about 18 months ago for close on £500 less than it was 'worth'. Mazdas go like that; people don't know they exist. Shame really; you can get a cracking car for bargainous prices.

I bought mine about 18 months ago for close on £500 less than it was 'worth'. Mazdas go like that; people don't know they exist. Shame really; you can get a cracking car for bargainous prices.

Its an 07 plate - 70k on the clock for a tad over 2k!

Any - If it looks too good to be true...... - Bobbin Threadbare

Eeek. Yeah, that would definitely make me wonder what was wrong with it as well!!!

Its on 07 plate mazda 6 (old shape) He also has various new shape mazda 6's in stock (ranging from 08-10 plates). 7 in total

Could it be plausible that a customer had the 07 plate and wanted the new shape to p/x'd?

Looking at his 'stock' he has 10-11 "p/x to clear' cars and the rest fairly new stock (08 plate or newer)

I just dont understand why he wouldnt 'tart' them up a little and sell them for market value?

Any - If it looks too good to be true...... - unthrottled

The price is a bit low, isn't it?!

Well it's odd as the rest of his cars seem to be and up around normal 'market value'

I can get another 07 plate mazda 6 for 3.2k from autotrader - no shortage. Prices seem to vary greatly, some people sell them for peanuts and others not, strange

but then again there's another place up here selling an 07 plate mazda 6 sport (2.3 engine) for only 3k, stating it's an interent only price (forecourt price 4k) - with around 80k on the clock

I must also mention that the 'cheap' mazdas all seem to be up north (where I am) - coincidence?

Edited by balleballe on 14/01/2012 at 23:47

Any - If it looks too good to be true...... - Avant

If it's a diesel Mazda 6 the dealer will be desperate to get shot of it. If it's a petrol someone should get a good bargain unless it's been abused or neglected.

2 litre petrol :D

I'm going to check the 'paperwork' today to see if there's any service history

If it's all good, then i'll leave a deposit and come back on friday with either my local mechanic (if he's free) or the RAC

Any - If it looks too good to be true...... - thunderbird

Mazda diesels are known to have major problems with DPF's but not sure if a 07 2.0 is affected. If it was and the DPF was clogged and the dash light imforming you disconnected you would be in for major bills to get it sorted and an unusable car in the meantime. Unless you get a decent warranty and all the dash lights check out OK I would steer clear, thinking about I would steer clear full stop.

PS DPF's don't worry me, both our cars have them and in 5 1/2 years we have had no problems but I would not buy a diesel 2.0 or 2.2 Mazda, 1.6 are OK.

Any - If it looks too good to be true...... - tony g
Hi,
It's really important that you do a full HPI check ,including mileage check,plus a VOSA ,MOT check before you agree to buy the car,you need the MOT certificate number or the v5 serial number ,to do a VOSA check.

The VOSA check is free ,the full HPI about £20. Both are online.

Most people know about HPI ,however VOSA can be equally as useful it will show when and were the car was motd and at what mileage ,it also shows what a car failed on and what the advises were.

It may be that some of the advises are still outstanding from the last MOT ,and may need sorting when you have to MOT the car in march.

Regards

Tony g
Hi, It's really important that you do a full HPI check ,including mileage check,plus a VOSA ,MOT check before you agree to buy the car,you need the MOT certificate number or the v5 serial number ,to do a VOSA check. The VOSA check is free ,the full HPI about £20. Both are online. Most people know about HPI ,however VOSA can be equally as useful it will show when and were the car was motd and at what mileage ,it also shows what a car failed on and what the advises were. It may be that some of the advises are still outstanding from the last MOT ,and may need sorting when you have to MOT the car in march. Regards Tony g

The seller states 'HPI' clear - but i'll do another just in case. Didnt get a chance to pop down today, will do so after work tomorow (they're open till 6)

Excellent advice - thanks Tony. I went to to Vosa website - not quite sure how to find out about the vehicle

Any - If it looks too good to be true...... - tony g
Hi,
Once youre into the direct gov ,VOSA website,go into the MOT section,you want the MOT history section,not the current MOT section.

You need the cars reg number,plus either the V5 reg doc reference number,or the MOT certificate number.

The reg number plus the number from either of the other two will allow you to access the MOT/VOSA ,details for your car.

Regards

Tony g

Thankyou

I'll get the required numbers when I go to view the car and inspect the paperwork