DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - oldroverboy
I was having a little chat with a "customer services" person about this and that and dealers are going to be "requested " to ask people to sign a disclaimer that will say they have been advised about the usage of cars with dpf systems..dealers currently receiving training.. Stable door clanging shut or what....
DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - Bobbin Threadbare

I definitely heard it clang.

DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - unthrottled

Definitely. Never quite understood why dealers were so reluctant to point out the potential problems. What better way for a salesman to demonstrate how 'honest' he is (and thereby gaining the trust of the prospective buyer) than by pointing out a generic problem that affects all marques, not just his own??

DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - jamie745

I went for a job interview about a year ago at a dealership of a well known German automotive manufacturer. I shant give away anymore. Anyway part of the discussion was about product knowledge obviously and i did mention that when customers enquire about diesel cars i will tell them what sort of usage would and would not suit a diesel car.

I never heard back on that one. Read into that what you will.

Jamie, I agree with you, when i bought the epica i wasn't asked, but car dealers have never been known to ask if the car was suitable or even if the customer could afford it, and i worked for a now defunct motor manufacturer on their stand at the geneva motor show which is also a selling show, you could buy a car there in those days, and there were plenty of impulse buys together with the appropriate finance deals..
And, a final nice point, our now defunct motor manufacturer had an extraordinary bar with lots of champers available, most of it not drunk by the customers either.
and given your gift of the blarney, i would have thoroughly recommended you for a sales job, (in the nicest way possible)
DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - brum

I have a trusted close friend who runs a large independent tyre/exhaust outlet up north. His advice is very clear - do not ever consider buying a new diesel car with a DPF. He says they have many customers come in every week with DPF problems. Its an embarassment to him to tell them how much it costs to fix (hundreds) and often on certain makes they cannot help them at all as the car must go to a main dealer. He says that those with problems invariably have the problems reoccur with months as the DPF is basically not fit for purpose in an urban setting.

do not ever consider buying a new diesel car with a DPF. DPF is basically not fit for purpose in an urban setting.

Totally agree with you. a customer in geneva recently had the same problems because his drive into the city was a crawl for 20 mile each way, but he could afford a jag, so i'm not crying for him.......... jag had washed their hands of his case and NOW said the car isn't suitable, but it is his fault>>>>>>>>>>>>> (which up to now has been GM's version of things.....

Edited by OldRoverboy on 12/01/2012 at 23:14

They're not that bad!

My parents bought a car with DPF (against my wishes) and it has produced exactly zero problems thus far-in spite of a fair proportion of short journeys.

I'm starting to think that DPF problems are a punishment from the Gods to people who can splash out on a new car but can't seem to find the accelerator pedal and have hitherto gotten away with their heinous crime.

DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - RT

His advice is very clear - do not ever consider buying a new diesel car with a DPF. the DPF is basically not fit for purpose in an urban setting.

So for the majority of drivers doing large mileages, which by definition are non-urban, a DPF is fine.

Such blanket statements are the making of many myths.

DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - thunderbird

We have 2 cars, both have DPF's. My commute is 15 miles each way, (50-50 dual carraigeway-urban) and the wifes 19 miles each way (70--30 motorway-urban). In 5 1/2 years of motoring we have had zero problems, the dpf's regenerate when needed, with a sensitive ear and nose you can tell. Hope it continues.

People who only do short urban runs of a few miles from cold are asking for trouble unless they do longer runs on the weekend, agree dealers should be making customers aware of this but as for a dealer saying "don't buy a diesel" that is unnessary.

Seem to remember this same scaremongering in the early 90's when cats came in, nothing but trouble, £1000's to replace, don't buy a petrol, buy a diesel they don't have them.

DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - Pica
For nearly 2 years I have owned a Honda CRV I-DTEC auto and due to a change to work circumstances my office is only 5 miles away and therefore my annual mileage has dropped to 9000 PA. I do not ever use the car for journeys of less than 1 mile ( I walk instead). At weekends the car usually gets a bit more use maybe 30 miles without stopping and I have to say I have never even had as much as the warning light show. I have noticed the hot smell from the car on a few occasions so it has been regenerating.

I did go through the issue of DPF with the salesman who was very good and honest with me so I cannot complain at all about my Honda experience to date.
DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - TeeCee

Easy one.

'Cos if the customer has bought into the CO2 / cost savings flannel trotted out like Holy Writ in the motoring pages of the tabloid press and wants a diesel, they'll lose a sale to someone who's prepared to keep schtum.

You have to remember that the vast majority of the buying public knows nothing about the oily bits and wouldn't know a generic problem from a model specific one if it had "GENERIC PROBLEM" written on it in dayglo latters four feet high.

Edited by TeeCee on 13/01/2012 at 10:05

DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - ChannelZ

Not to be nitpicky, but "DPF Filter" = "Diesel Particulate Filter Filter".

"DPF" or Diesel Particulate filter", but never "DPF Filter". That's just wrong. :)

Bit like PIN number... :-)

DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - RT

Bit like PIN number... :-)

Or VIN number

DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - Avant

Or DSG gearbox.

Slightly different but always annoys me - Lake Windermere.

DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - xtrailman

When we bought our car in 2009 the salesman made a point of asking us to read a data sheet on DPF, and we had to sign to confirm the sheet was handed over and understood.

The info is repeated in the manual.

As for problems, zero in three years, driving only 18.7K miles.

No city driving, only town work.

DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - Haminator

exactly...mazda Australia is doing the same, dealer are feeding us a load of you know what... have a read of this

I have a Mazda3 and I was just advised that my DPF has gone to God and Mazda service have advised that I need to give them $8000.00 AU to have it rectified.

Now Mazda Australia will not warranty the unit as; the the ECU cycle was NOT reset at each oil change (10K). I have a valid reason for this, its because I did the oil changes myself, Mazda serviced the car at 40K, 60K 80K and 120K, the DPF blew after the 120K service (that service cost me $1300.00AU) at no point was I ever advised that this needed to be done or warranty would be denied, I even bought the oil and filters from the dealer where I bought the car. The manual has no warning in the service schedule section note...nothing anywhere in the entire documentation supplied. I am currently fighting Mazda Australia through consumer affairs on this basis. If they had advised me at the time of purchase that this requirement was on the vehicle - simply I would NOT have bought it.

This stance from Mazda is not acceptable, nor would it be acceptable to any customer - so warning, warning - NOT zoom zoom zoom.

if you have a Mazda diesel - sell it......

This is the "good oil" - diesel reference `

DPF filters - : ADVICE FOR CUSTOMERS - Avant

Welcome to the forum, Haminator, but once is enough for this message (something very similar is on two other threads).