Mitsubishi L200 54 reg - Error code showing for waste-gate sensor fault - Supertramp

A friend of mine has a 54 reg Mistibishi pickup which has an error code showing for the waste gate (sensor). He noticed this first with a lack of power, when under full load either going full chat up a hill or pulling a trailer with a mini-digger.

So it would seem something is causing the waste-gate to dump the gas - where does the 'signal' come from on these (intake pressure, fuel pump), before taking it to the dealer is there anything a competent DIY'er can do to repair or confirm the diagnosis further on this?

Mitsubishi L200 54 reg - Error code showing for waste-gate sensor fault - galileo

On a 54 plate the wastegate probably opens when boost pressure reaches a certain level and overcomes the spring holding it closed - if so there will be a small (2 to 3 inch diameter) cylinder with a protruding control rod attached to the turbo, with a hose connection to the inlet pipe or manifold.

If the spring has broken or it has stuck open this would account for low power.

(On the other hand it may be electronically controlled)

Mitsubishi L200 54 reg - Error code showing for waste-gate sensor fault - focussed

This well known problem is caused by overboost. The sequence is as follows:- The turbo generates more boost pressure than the preset maximum, the manifold pressure sensor detects this and informs the ecu which reduces the fuelling to protect the engine. The remedy is to adjust the mechanical stop for the boost control on the turbo in stages until the problem goes away.

I had to adjust mine several times to get rid of this problem.

Get advice from the L200 owners club www.L200.org

Link here to a picture of what to adjust on the turbo:-

http://www.l200.org.uk/gallery/albums/technical%20section/hdi%20turbo%20adjustment/hdita.jpg

Mitsubishi L200 54 reg - Error code showing for waste-gate sensor fault - focussed

This well known problem is caused by overboost. The sequence is as follows:- The turbo generates more boost pressure than the preset maximum, the manifold pressure sensor detects this and informs the ecu which reduces the fuelling to protect the engine. The remedy is to adjust the mechanical stop for the boost control on the turbo in stages until the problem goes away.

I had to adjust mine several times to get rid of this problem.

Get advice from the L200 owners club www.L200.org

Link here to a picture of what to adjust on the turbo:-

http://www.l200.org.uk/gallery/albums/technical%20section/hdi%20turbo%20adjustment/hdita.jpg

I should also have mentioned that to reduce the maximum boost the screw should be turned in ie to reduce the travel of the arm controlling the vanes inside the turbo.

Mitsubishi L200 54 reg - Error code showing for waste-gate sensor fault - Supertramp

Thanks very much for that advice, fellas....very much appreciated!

...............and a happy new year!