Volkswagen Polo IV - Tyre Size - ajsdoc

Have just had my tyres switched to Winters. However I made a small cock up and ordered 185/65/R14 on the phone, when I arrived at the tyre place I realised my mess up as the actual tyres on before were 185/60/R14.

I suggested reordering but the tyre place (which is generally good and I've used before) said it would not really make any difference so I agreed to have them fitted. I felt bad as they were ordered specially and I'm sure the cock up was mine.

All looks fine, but it's niggling me - is this a big deal (I was worried may affect speedo). Clearly I'll go back to the "proper" size next time but just seeking reassurance!

All help appreciated.

Volkswagen Polo IV - Tyre Size - gordonbennet

I've just run the size through a tyre calculator, there is a 3.2% difference in circumference.

At 70mph your new set will be travelling at 72.24, that wouldn't worry me as most speedo's are optimistic by at least that and it will probably now be more accurate, you could check with a satnav to be sure.

The practicalities of running them are, so long as you don't have problems with the tyres catching which i doubt you will, and you will have to drive it hard on some undulating roads and take a few bumpy bends quickly to be sure, then you might well find them a much nicer ride.

The only thing that would concern me, is the size you now have listed for your car as an approved size, if it is no problems, if not it might be prudent to tell you insurance company about your alternative winter size.

Volkswagen Polo IV - Tyre Size - Peter.N.

The increased wall height will improve the ride too.

Volkswagen Polo IV - Tyre Size - Collos25

Just do not take into mainland europe no problem in the UK.

Volkswagen Polo IV - Tyre Size - thunderbird

The only thing that would concern me, is the size you now have listed for your car as an approved size, if it is no problems, if not it might be prudent to tell you insurance company about your alternative winter size.

If the tyres are not shown as an approved size or option either on a sticker or in the handbook you run the risk of your insurer refusing to caugh up should you have an accident. Best to have a word with them since some companies like to know that you have winter tyres fitted. Our insurer (Aviva) charged no more since they are a standard size.