rover 75 connoisseur 2.5 V6 - Clutch slipping. - turbo-tora

Hi Guys,

my clutch has started to slip but only in 3rd up to 5th gear,

it is ok in 1st &2nd the car has got 95,000 mls on the clock and is a 99 W,reg

would anyone have any idea what may be causing the problem or am going to have to replace the whole lot?

Edited by turbo-tora on 05/12/2011 at 18:21

rover 75 connoisseur 2.5 V6 - Clutch slipping. - injection doc

TBH its done very well if its lasted 90K+

Just replace the whole lot and the hydraulics at the same time

rover 75 connoisseur 2.5 V6 - Clutch slipping. - Peter.N.

The secret is not to let it slip, if you do it will wear out very quickly, if you back off as soon as it starts slipping it could last many thousands of miles more.

rover 75 connoisseur 2.5 V6 - Clutch slipping. - Collos25

Flywheel and clutch on a DMF system on a MG TT diesel estate at 110000 miles cost £1000 at Clemo Cleckheaton they used to be MG/Rover agents.

rover 75 connoisseur 2.5 V6 - Clutch slipping. - gordonbennet

I don't know what the current thinking is, but not so many years ago as soon as i detected clutch slip i'd whip the clutch out, take it to a local brake and clutch relining workshop who would quickly rivet new linings on, examine and reassemble everything if it looked OK.

Total cost around £15 at the time and another full life easily attainable from most OE clutch parts.

Obviously if there is judder involved or the slipping has been extended and cooked the pressure plate or flywheel then a cheap refurb is out of the question.

rover 75 connoisseur 2.5 V6 - Clutch slipping. - thunderbird

Hi Guys,

my clutch has started to slip but only in 3rd up to 5th gear,

it is ok in 1st &2nd the car has got 95,000 mls on the clock and is a 99 W,reg

would anyone have any idea what may be causing the problem or am going to have to replace the whole lot?

If its started to slip it will soon get worse regardless of how you drive. Either trade the car in while its still drivable or get a new clutch.

I did about 15,000 miles on a Citroen XM with a slipping clutch and it was still quite driveable when I sold it.

Gordonbennett - you must be nearly as old as me!.

rover 75 connoisseur 2.5 V6 - Clutch slipping. - Paul G1pdc

I know its not a proper answer, but 2 months ago traded in my W reg volvo estate. (same age as your Rover)

full service history from new, cambelts, mitchelin tyres with 5mm tread etc etc...

thing was the suspension and clutch had started giving up, the car had 105k on the clock. not a spot of rust, and clean leather inside...but it was only worth £500 trade in.

Didn't want to sell private...

tried quite a few places,,,and £500 even with 8 months tax and a clean MOT with 10 months remaining was the max amount...it was worth £150 if I'd scrapped it in Aylesbury...

i'd owned the volvo for 8.5 years, and had a lot of memories but the cost of fixing the clutch and suspension knocks would have cost twice the cars value....

i'd seriously think about part-exing the car whilst still driveable...

paul.

rover 75 connoisseur 2.5 V6 - Clutch slipping. - gordonbennet

'''Gordonbennett - you must be nearly as old as me!.'''

And we're proably as worn out as one another too, working all hours the good Lord sent in those days to be able to afford to run a car at all i shouldn't woner..;)

Some of these threads need some common sense input, the clutch is slipping a bit, quick part exchange a perfectly good car and buy one that may well have far worse issues with it....did the owner of the next car have a similar online thread after he misfuelled it, so part ex'd it for one that has a DPF problem and on it goes.

Clutches as with many other things *can* be salvaged quite cheaply, but the only way to do this is to immediately go about fixing it before it gets worse, if left the slipping will cause heat damage to all other parts and you run the risk of the rivets holding the clutch plate wearing grooves through the pressure plate and flywheel effectively scrapping them, a complete clutch assembly will come with a new pressure plate but a normal flywheel should last a lifetime and will be expensive DMF or not.

Course i'd be doing my own, but the same still stands if your sending it in for reapir, the longer you leave it slipping the more expensive the fix.

I would agree, the only thing being that the cost of having a clutch and DMF fitted is very often more than the car is worth, certainly the cars I run - unless like us you do it yourself.

I have a 2001 406 Hdi estate which I paid £950 for about a year and 11,000 miles ago, the clutch pedal has been high since I bought it but fortunately hasn't got any worse, its now just past the 200,000 mile mark and still drives like new. The engine hasn't missed a beat in that time, I have had to do the rear brakes and suspension links but that's about all. I don't know how much i would have to pay for a clutch fitted but I suspect it would be cheaper for me to buy another similar car.

I also have two Citroen XM diesels, one has covered nearly 300k, if I couldn't repair those myself they would have been scrapped long ago. Its a different world now. I think the best cars were made in the '90s especially diesels. In the '50s and '60s most cars were in the scrapyard before they had done 100k - we seem to be going back to those days but for different reasons.