best 2008/2009 diesel without major dpf problems - deary

hi, i'm looking to buy a diesel around 2008 & 2009 but the more i look the more problems i seem to find, was originally looking at a mazda 6 2.0d sport but have read too many dpf issues, then looked at the vw passat r-line 2.0d but this also has a dpf, does anyone know if this engine is any good, i've read bad things about vag 2.0 diesels.

i currently drive a vw golf 1.9 gt tdi 2003, great car hassle free done 128k and had since 46k, been ultra reliable.

are there any current diesels that can match this engine?

Edited by Avant on 06/11/2011 at 00:35

best 2008/2009 diesel without major dpf problems - balleballe
I would stay away from the mazda 2.0d. The 2.2d has had no such problems though (although mazda still state that a 10-15 minute a road/motorway blast a week is needed to prevent DPF problems)

the PD 1.9 engine was great - if you're looking for an engine to match it's MPG - then from what ive read it'd have to be BMW's 2.0d engine. If you're looking at something as reliable then you will struggle IMO.

The accord diesel CDTI in 07 plate had no DPF and the clutch/flywheel issues were pretty much resolved by 2007 (their new diesels came out in 2008 but fittes with DPF) so in terms of 'family sector' diesel - that would be a good bet.

I'm sure some more experienced peeps will chime in soon

thanks for the reply balleballe, yes i have heard that the 2.2d is a lot better, but will have to stump up more cash for one of those,

does the bmw 2.0d not have DPF issues?

any ideas about 1.9 TDI TVD engine in a 2006 audi a4 s-line? are these as good as the PD engine?

we have got two VW golf's in our household mine and my wife has 2007 1.9 TDI 105 Sport, this touch wood has also been a good car, so looking for something to match reliability and good MPG.

thanks for the reply balleballe, yes i have heard that the 2.2d is a lot better, but will have to stump up more cash for one of those,

does the bmw 2.0d not have DPF issues?

any ideas about 1.9 TDI TVD engine in a 2006 audi a4 s-line? are these as good as the PD engine?

we have got two VW golf's in our household mine and my wife has 2007 1.9 TDI 105 Sport, this touch wood has also been a good car, so looking for something to match reliability and good MPG.

Ive not heard of many problems with BMW's DPF's although HJ states that they may need replacing after around 120k miles. Their diesels have their own problems - mainly with swirl flaps and turbo failure (common on many new diesels though)

If that's the PD with 115bhp - then i'd stay away. They dont seem to last long at all compared to the old PD engine (which had Bosch injectors)

Even the PD 105 has been replaced with their new CR 1.6 unit.

I was looking at a diesel as well - but with the whole host of problems attributed to new diesels I'm just going to stick to petrol, even though I do 25k miles a year

I suppose there is always the option of having the DPF removed, i've seen loads of companies doing this now.

yeah the audi 1.9 TDI TDV is 113bhp, so why do they do a 1.9 TDI and a 2.0 TDI in the same year car??

christ can't believe you've stuck with a petrol whilst doing 25k a year, what do u drive?

Edited by Avant on 06/11/2011 at 00:35

the first generation are PD 2.0 TDI's and i'd avoid at all costs. I think they were just using the last of their 1.9's while moving over to the 2.0's - so some overlap

I was also tinkering with DPF removal but it's probable there may be some emission tests on MOT's soon with regards to diesels with DPF's (rumours ATM) - if you've removed yours you will fail the MOT.

I have a mazda 6 2.0 petrol. On a motorway cruise it gives me ~38mpg (42mpg if driven at 65mph)

Over a year I save around £500 if I move to diesel - not worth it IMO

just looked and you can get 1.9 all the way up to a 08 plate!!, so basically steer clear of the audi diesel engines around that era then?

i did wonder how long they will allow people to remove their DPF's considering the goverment wanted them fitted to all diesels 09 onwards!

how do you find the mazda petrol? reliable enough, i like the look of the new shape (08)

just looked and you can get 1.9 all the way up to a 08 plate!!, so basically steer clear of the audi diesel engines around that era then?

i did wonder how long they will allow people to remove their DPF's considering the goverment wanted them fitted to all diesels 09 onwards!

how do you find the mazda petrol? reliable enough, i like the look of the new shape (08)

Personally I would stay away - yes. Although there are plenty of happy owners out there.

Jap petrols (on the whole) if looked after are reliable and capable of diesel-like mileages On the facelifted version of the '6' the MZR 2.0 is carried over - same engine as mine.

In 2010 they altered the 2.0 and made it a direct injection (Mazda call it DISI) - not enough feedback on the long term reliability on these yet but improved MPG judging from online forums (extra ~4mpg whilst cruising) The 2.0 petrols had a recall for the chain - Mazda have known of no failures but apparantly there was a dodgy batch so Mazda are replacing all possible effected cars

I bought mine on 74k from a chap that had it since new. All MOT's and services were given to me and not one single receipt for something that went wrong. It's on 96k now (10 months later) and the only thing i've had to replace is the radiator and the auto tensioner (both commonly need replacing every 100k). It's started every morning and still redlines (if needed to) without a problem. I'm giving serious consideration to the mazda 3 sport as my next car (same 2.0 MZR engine)

Edited by balleballe on 05/11/2011 at 23:28

best 2008/2009 diesel without major dpf problems - Bobbin Threadbare

I bought mine on 74k from a chap that had it since new. All MOT's and services were given to me and not one single receipt for something that went wrong. It's on 96k now (10 months later) and the only thing i've had to replace is the radiator and the auto tensioner (both commonly need replacing every 100k). It's started every morning and still redlines (if needed to) without a problem. I'm giving serious consideration to the mazda 3 sport as my next car (same 2.0 MZR engine)

I have had a very similar experience with my 1.8 petrol Mazda 6 as Balleballe has had with his (freakishly enough, even the same purchase mileage and current clock value!). I commute 80 miles a day in it. The previous owner had never had any problems and nor have I. The only thing I've had to do is replace a headlight bulb. I've just stuck a decent set of winter tyres on it. A very comfortable drive. I would definitely have another Mazda. I used to commute 120 miles a day in a 1.6 petrol Ford Focus and that wasn't bad at all, even in snow!

best 2008/2009 diesel without major dpf problems - daveyjp
X type 2.0d never had one. 2.2d auto definately has one, 2.2 manual may not.

Edited by daveyjp on 06/11/2011 at 20:15

best 2008/2009 diesel without major dpf problems - mw2

yeah the audi 1.9 TDI TDV is 113bhp, so why do they do a 1.9 TDI and a 2.0 TDI in the same year car??

The 1.9 is a rather older engine, and in some ways unsophisticated, so it was continued as a lower-cost alternative to the later 2 litre lump (which isn't just a 1.9 stretched a bit, but a new design).

The 1.9 has a couple of problems, with respect to more recent designs; It is a bit clattery, particularly at start-up, and it is hard on oil (if you have one, _do not_ move away from oils which meet the appropriate VW group specifications). Using the right oil, and it can be long-lived and economical, so it is not a bad engine, but there are certainly smoother engines out there.

best 2008/2009 diesel without major dpf problems - grimep

Well... I've taken a chance on the Ford DV6 engine....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DLD_engine

in a Focus. I have the 90bhp version which usually comes without DPF in 2008. As a potential buyer, AFAIK you can check the VIN plate on the driver's b-pillar- check the last field on the certificate plate....

7 = Stage IV + no DPF

V = Stage IV + DPF

DPF aside, other potential expensive issues with this engine are dual-mass flywheel + clutch, injector seals failing, and oil gunging up - Ford reduced oil change interval to 8000miles due to that.. http://bigjohnd.org.uk/CCC/OilChange-DV6.pdf It can block the sump pick up pipe and turbo feed pipe taking out the turbo, and potentially writing off the engine. So regular oil change with fully-synthetic is a must, as is perhaps dropping the sump for some preventative maintenance on a medium-miler.

best 2008/2009 diesel without major dpf problems - animula

2009 BMW 120d, from personal experience and after reading horror stories of other makes clogging their DPFs I would claim that the without a doubt the 2L diesel unit made by BMW is unlikely to suffer from DPF problems.

This is based on the 120d SE automatic my wife bought new in March 2009. the only long trip this car has done was the day she collected from local dealer when it covered it was given a roun trip of 180 miles. Since then it has received "constant abuse" with short runs to the shops of less than a mile often sitting in traffic plus the odd run o 3-4 miles. as a result the car has yet to cover 5,000 miles and has never missed a beat of coughed, she is expecting to use it for he next 10 years.

Add to this my slightly older 730d which covers 10,000 miles/year and has averaged 33.8 mpg based on fuel purchased, not the onboard computer which is shows another 2mpg.

As a professional engineer I consider that BMW have done a good job with their diesels and makes the higher initial cost worthwhile.

best 2008/2009 diesel without major dpf problems - bazza

Fairly sure that the 1.9 pd VAG unit wasn't fitted with a DPF, as if I remember correctly, might be worth finding a late Octavia with one of those in it.

The DPF issues seem fairly generic and much to do with driving conditions/style. It's put me off modern diesels which is a pity as I like their power delivery. I would not entertain removing the DPF as it looks fairly certain that the new 2012 MOT will require the DPF to be present if originally fitted. Looking ahead, the Euro 6 emissions regs will make diesels even more complex and expensive because of the NOx reduction required.

I would do some sums and see whether it's worthwhile you running a diesel over a mid size petrol motor. Unless you drive long distances at a good pace, I doubt that it is.

best 2008/2009 diesel without major dpf problems - thunderbird

Pre September 2010 Kia Ceed 1.6 CRDi were not fitted with dpf's and are a cracking car with no engine issues, even have a chain driven cam. We have a Setember 2010 model with a dpf, had no issues with that and have never heard of any.

The Ceed 2.0 CRDi did have a dpf but again there are no known issues but there is sod all extra performance and it uses loads more fuel and has a cam belt.

best 2008/2009 diesel without major dpf problems - GavoTheSane

I've just recently got a 2008 renault megane 1.5 106hp DCI which has no DPF at all. I can't comment on the reliability, but it's usually simple electrics that go wrong (windows), not the engines which were designed with Nissan.

best 2008/2009 diesel without major dpf problems - Collos25

The engines came straight from Renault the only input the Nissan had was designing the badge.Having said that there is nothing wrong with them.