Yaris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - doubletiger

I have a Toyota Yaris from brand new in Dec 2009, I hardly use it and only run less 5000 miles so far. My dilemma is, under Toyota warranty term, it need to have full services at 24 months, otherwise the warranty will be invalid. When l did the Interim Service on 1st year, it only run about 4000 miles.

I feel paying for full service for car only just run 1000 miles does not make sense at all, I feel I am just throw the money away. But if I do not have full service done in 2nd year, the manufacturer warranty will be invalid. I have quote for 2nd full services is about £230. I wonder I may be better off if I pay less £100 to buy another car warranty for 1 year, rather paying £230 for a 2nd year full service, which is no necessary for my car.I do not know what should I do now. Can someone please help me? thanks in advance.

Edited by Avant on 31/10/2011 at 22:50

yeris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - Bromptonaut

I think you just need to pay up and live with it. Any after market warranty is almost certainly going to incluse a 'service per mfrs schedule' requirement anyway.

Low mileage cars, lots of stop start etc actually need a service (though your miles are incredibly low). Increases your chances of a goodwill reapir if probs crop upout of warranty as well.

yeris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - gordonbennet

B's right you know, Toyota's major service is quite involved it's not just an oil change and a peek under the car, it's wheels off full brake examination etc.

Toyota stand by their product after warranty has expired, keeping to dealer servicing adds credit should anything go wrong, and their servicing is competitively priced anyway, keep the warranty safe and get the service done.

yeris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - Auristocrat

Over the years, we've bought 15 new cars and the service intervals have always been set at X number of months or Y number of miles, whichever comes first.

With my last two Toyotas ( a 56 Corolla and a 59 Auris) my annual mileage has reduced, and we have had the cars serviced based on the time limit. The Auris has just had it's second service when it reached it's second birthday - mileage was 10,800. Our second car, a 57 Mazda 2, where the service intervals are one year or 12,500 miles, had it's 4 year service and MOT done in August - total mileage 21,800.

The 2 year/20,000 mile Toyota service is quite comprehensive, and is worth having done to preserve the excellent Toyota warranty. Perhaps it may be worth speaking to your Toyota dealer service manager to highlight the car's low mileage over the past year, and see what can be arranged.

yeris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - doubletiger

Thank you everyone who replied. I understand now and accept I should have service done as manufacturer required. I understand the service actually is not wasting and feel much better now. "speaking to your Toyota dealer service manager to highlight the car's low mileage over the past year, and see what can be arranged." is good suggestion, thanks Auristocrat. I will try it.

Just wondering what do most people do after 3 years manufacturer's warranty expires, do you buy another warranty from the manufacturer, or from independent warranty company? and why?

many thanks!

yeris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - gordonbennet

''Just wondering what do most people do after 3 years manufacturer's warranty expires, do you buy another warranty from the manufacturer, or from independent warranty company? and why?''

If it was most other manufacturers i'd be seriously thinking of DIY servicing after 3 years or going indy.
However Toyota/Lexus have a well deserved reputation of standing by their product over long periods and high miles.
The chances are that your car will not go wrong for probably the next ten years or more if it's serviced well, in the unlikely event it did go wrong and you have a full dealer service history Toyota are more likely than any other manufacturer to look favourably at a goodwill repair, so instead of taking out an extra warranty i'd keep with Toyota's servicing well into the fourth year instead, call it goodwill servicing if you like.

I wouldn't take the extended warranty they will offer unless it's relatively cheap, they wanted IIRC about £750 for fourth year cover on my Hilux, too much and i had more faith in their product anyway.

Aftermarket warranties make a good spare bog roll, that's about as much as i can say for them.
yeris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - Auristocrat

The Toyota extended warranty is very comprehensive and includes MOT test cover (£10 excess), and Club Toyota cover included (normally about £ 65 per year). If you bought one of these Toyota extended warranties before the Yaris reaches its third birthday, a one year warranty up to 10,000 miles will currently cost £ 330, and a two year warranty up to 20,000 miles will cost £ 515. Far better than third party warranties.

Of course the merits of an extended warranty is down to you to decide on - and whether or not you wish to continue to be covered by a warranty. An example was when we kept a Mazda Premacy into it's fourth year. When the car reached its third birthday, we bought a Mazda extended warranty (which included the Mazda equivalent to Club Toyota) for £ 450. The following June, and within the warranty extension, the drivers airbag warning light began flashing, and we had to have the drivers airbag module replaced (at a cost of £ 750 for just the module). For our current Mazda 2, we bought a Mazda extended warranty for two years - and have not had any claims 13 months into the warranty. Depends whether you can do your own servicing, etc and whether peace of mind is important.

One advisory note though is that if you choose not to have a Toyota extended warranty, and you go outside the Toyota dealer network for servicing, goodwill in the event of any problems which then occur may not be as generous. This happened to a colleague with a Mitsubishi Colt recently - she had the throttle body go, and as she had had the car serviced by independents for the third and fourth year services, Mitsubishi said no to a goodwill payment in respect of the throttle body.

But again - the choice is yours.

Yaris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - colinh

At that mileage per annum I would seriously consider selling it and using taxis. The overall cost per mile must be approaching £5.

Yaris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - madf

My personal experience with a Yaris is that an extended warrnty is worthless - as in 5 years after normal warranty expired, nothing has gone wrong.

With carp makers like Mazda or Citroen ..., however ...

(I exclude Renault as no-one with any sense...)

Yaris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - Auristocrat

My personal experience with a Yaris is that an extended warrnty is worthless - as in 5 years after normal warranty expired, nothing has gone wrong.

The Yaris in question will have a three year warranty - the five year warranty was introduced in 2010.

Yaris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - corax

Bit harsh madf. I don't hanker after a Mazda, but what's wrong with the MX5?

Yaris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - gordonbennet

Hi Corax, can't speak for Madf, but seeing how they've treated the many owners of Diesel 6's who have had problems, and how they treated my outlaws when their year old 3's clutch died for no good reason, then they as a maker i no longer trust.

Many makers make mistakes, Toyota have done, it's how they behave, stand by their product and customers and what they do to put things right that matters, not the fact they've cocked up with something.

Damned shame, 626 was excellent, equal to Corolla/Carina/Avensis and Bluebird/Primera 1, MX5 is still a brilliant little thing, 6 petrol is supposed to be good.

Damned shame, 626 was excellent, equal to Corolla/Carina/Avensis and Bluebird/Primera 1, MX5 is still a brilliant little thing, 6 petrol is supposed to be good.

I did notice that he also slated Citroens. Now who owns one of them? I'm saying nothing :)

It would be hard to mess up the MX5, unless Mazda build quality suddenly went out of the window, but it's simplicity is it's advantage.

I agree about Mazda diesels - the new shape 3 looks like a tempting buy with it's 180bhp 2.2 powerplant, but many potential owners stung by the previous woes will probably be put off Mazda's for life.

''I did notice that he also slated Citroens. Now who owns one of them? I'm saying nothing :)''

That'd be me then..:-)

However we went into ownership of it with our eyes open and fully aware of it's potential problems, and fully aware that Toyota back up it does not have.

Around the time warranty expired a service light appeared, so we took it for a good blast for an hour over 3k rpm and it hasn't reappeared since, probably DPF needing a clean out but could have been anything. I phoned the supplying Citroen dealer who mentioned straight away that it was now out of warranty, very glad they mentioned that as it's quite obvious that unlike Toyota once the warranty clicks past the hour you're on your own...so no need to get our pants pulled down for servicing, goodwill doesn't exist there, that's fine we didn't expect any different so we weren't unduly disappointed in the response.

When it needs DPF refill and reset a good indy will get that work.

At the time when we bought the car, C2 VTS hdi, we'd researched to find a powerful small Diesel that could return over 50mpg in local and more on a run, was in £30 VED bracket and wasn't boring for SWM. Only 2 cars ticked every box without having the performance of a dead snail, the C2 and the Punto 1.6 Mutlijet.

Nothing else of equal performance and economy was anywhere near the £30 VED, not as that was the be all and end all but as we were buying we'd set a number of boxes we were determined to tick.

I doubt choosing the other would have led us to Toyota standard customer care either, and to be fair Citroens method of DPF control with the fluid injection does seem to work, well at least till it goes wrong.

Anyway, we've now had the little motor for around 15 months, it does 53mpg with SWM's local running round which is fast local, it does 60 to 64mpg on a run so long as you keep it around 70, that dives quite quickly if you cruise at 80+, so presume the little boxy shape isn't the best for drag. She Who Must loves it, there's few cars have as much torque, and it's chuckable, the biggest let down is the gearbox which isn't pleasant to use in the least.

As this is a Toyota thread which we've hijacked, sorry OP..;)

I just wish Toyota would resume putting some sparkly engine combinations back in their cars wouldn;t have had to get a Citroen then, Yaris would have been brilliant with the 180hp 2.2 under the bonnet, even with 2 litre would have been an effortless road burner. The mid range cars need a replacement for the underrated supercharged Corolla, and where is the replacement for the Celica GT4, no wolves in sheeps clothing anywhere to be seen? And why did it take so many achingly long years to eventually put a proper auto box in a Diesel car.

it's quite obvious that unlike Toyota once the warranty clicks past the hour you're on your own...so no need to get our pants pulled down for servicing, goodwill doesn't exist there

Lol, your choice of wording makes me die :)

I just wish Toyota would resume putting some sparkly engine combinations back in their cars wouldn;t have had to get a Citroen then, Yaris would have been brilliant with the 180hp 2.2 under the bonnet, even with 2 litre would have been an effortless road burner. The mid range cars need a replacement for the underrated supercharged Corolla, and where is the replacement for the Celica GT4, no wolves in sheeps clothing anywhere to be seen?

Agreed, I was just thinking the other day, I could really do with something a bit more exciting than my Avensis but there is nothing from the Toyota stable that you could call that. Toyota at the moment are in a really dull stretch and they need shaking up a little. I tried to convince myself that an MR2 Turbo would be a good idea but the first load of timber or paving stones would put paid to that idea. A Yaris as you say would be perfect with a Celica engine or an engine from the above (There is a mid engined MR2 turbo engined Yaris on Youtube, but a bit extreme ;)) Tough, long lasting car with some real power. It's frustrating because they have in the past combined excitement with reliability in the form of the above (my mechanic has an MR2 Turbo, used for racing and general use, a 92 plate and it still never goes wrong), GT4, Supra, Celica, and the Glanza, an amazing small hothatch with a turbo charged 1.4 that can take 300bhp without uprated internals. Where are the replacements for these cars?

Sorry for deviation.

Sorry for deviation.

Nothing wrong with a bit of deviation old chum, makes the world go round..;)

You make some good points there C, they have the engines and the gearboxes available but they seem dreadfully reluctant to party.

I think the problem is Lexus, anything a bit special, even a standard V6 petrol now has to have the Lexus badge, probably marketing.

In the US you can have lovely Camry's and all sorts of decent engined motors right up to the huge battleship V8 engined Tundra pick up still Toyota badged, soon as it comes to the UK the proper engined motors end up with Lexus badges and price tags unless they are proper 4x4's, note they stopped selling Camry with the bigger engines here a long time ago, why, was it a bit too good and encroaching on Lexus sales?

Problem with Lexus is that the dealers are too few, i will use my local excellent Northampton Toyota dealer if i ever end up with a Lexus so long as they are happy to service it, but i imagine most potential owners wouldn't like to do that.

Problem with Lexus is that the dealers are too few, i will use my local excellent Northampton Toyota dealer if i ever end up with a Lexus so long as they are happy to service it, but i imagine most potential owners wouldn't like to do that.

Have to say the Lexus LS in Doc Martin is a great looking car. Either a hybrid or LPG powered V8 would be a nice way to travel. Saw a good looking lady driving a black 300 GS the other day. Suited her down to the ground, even if it might not have been hers :)

Edited by corax on 01/11/2011 at 23:06

Yaris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - Auristocrat

Mazda's customer service did decline in around 2008. We each had a new Mazda in 2003 (a 323 and a Premacy). A recall was done on the 323 (possibility of a loose screws in the intake manifold) perfectly well - took about six hours labour. As mentioned previously, on the Premacy we had the drivers airbag module replaced in June 2007 under the extended warranty - no problem.

Bought a new first generation Mazda 2 in September 2007. The coil pack went in April 2008 - replaced OK, but then the HT lead needed replacing. Took Mazda over 10 weeks to source a new HT Lead for what is a re-skinned Ford Fusion (Ford mechanicals, built by Ford at Valencia, etc) - the lead was only replaced after I insisted that Mazda UK source the equivalent Ford HT Lead. The customer relations manager at Mazda UK didn't know our 2 was based on a Ford and that all first generations 2's for the European market were built by Ford.Since then the 2 has been trouble-free - but the experience of dealing with Mazda UK has left a sour taste.

With my Auris, although I experienced no issues with the car, I had to have the well-publicised recall work done on the accelerator pedal early 2010. The fix took 40 minutes. Toyota compensated me with a cheque. The dealer compensated me with a new set of carpet mats gratis. Car was washed and vacuumed. Great customer service.

I apologise if I upset any Mazda or Citroen owners. They have only themselves to blame .:-)

(I make no apologies to any Renault buyers as they clearly have done no due diligence before spending money)

Agree with the "Toyota build boring cars " bit... They don't need a lot of exciting cars: two would do..

As for Lexus I fancy a GS430 - prices are now sensible secondhand. After the next year there will be a lot of distressed sales.. An LS is a bit too big - even our garage would have to be reorganised to fit one it...

''As for Lexus I fancy a GS430 - prices are now sensible secondhand. After the next year there will be a lot of distressed sales..''

Yes i keep my eyes on the 05 year on GS too (would have made a lovely estate like old Camry), it's 55 plate the newest i will consider (unless 450h) for extortionate VED reasons.

Only yesterday i popped in to see my LPG converter chap for a slight calibration adjustment, 30 seconds via his laptop, mentioned Lexus of this type (300/430) to him and all is well there, he's done conversions on them that are running colossal mileages without a hint of trouble.

I'm inclined to agree about there being trouble ahead, this feels too much like the calm before the storm, despite much shouting i am yet to see any cuts worth mentioning or the massive job losses likely to result.

The county's unsustainable borrowing will have to stop at some point, and payback begin, all bets are off then.

Yaris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - daveyjp

Madf - your Yaris sounds like our Aygo. Faultess since the warranty expired almost two years ago - it had three issues whilst in warranty, but nothing further since.

Ours now goes to our local garage for its service it only does 3-4,000 a year, but we still get it done as it's a car we intend keeping until it dies. The cash saved over using the main dealer for a four year service paid the insurance and road tax for a year.

The car is so simple to work on there's no need for it to see Toyota again.

Davey

Yes Ours is a '53 Yaris d4d.

As you say, so easy to work on. I DIY it ... It's a pleasure to see well thought out layouts making it eay

Also maintain son's 1.0Yaris,, It's easy too.. and Very tough 110k miles so far..

Nice thing is : ours both run 175/65/14 tyres- cheap to buy.

Watch out for petrol filler pipe rust.. from tank to cap.. waxoil job..

Edited by madf on 02/11/2011 at 12:05

Yaris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - Avant

The 1.3 petrol engine in the Yaris is excellent: my e;der daughter is on her fourth and all have been lively and good to drive. But the SR should have a bigger engine: this variant is pretty pointless as it is.

When we were in NZ in 2009 we hired a Corolla (same as the Auris) with a 1.8 petrol engine - much better to drive than the 1.6, and I can't think why Toyota GB won't let us have it here. Yet another stupid decision by men in suits (as was the name Auris: what made them think that a Toyota Ear was better than a Toyota Crown?).

Yaris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - The Gingerous One

After 3 years is up, I wouldn't bother with any additional warranty. It's a Japanese petrol engine and if it's got a manual g/box, what can go wrong ??? :-)

Just keep having it serviced as per the Toyota schedule. I allow roughly £250/yr (average) for servicing costs for a car and your cost is within that for a car far newer than mine.

I have an 05 Mazda 6, petrol, manual g/box, bought at £5k/3 years old/66k miles and haven't bothered with main dealer servicing nor a warranty. If it pops a conrod through the block tomorrow (it won't, but that's because I won't be using it tomorrow!) then I'll speak to the village garage and see what we can do, do we get another engine or do I e-bay it and start again....etc etc.

In fact, I think that my car wouldn't qualify for a warranty as it's done >100k now.

Yaris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - johncyprus
Recently replaced a 53 Yaris diesel with a Honda Jazz. Had the Yaris from new and replaced one bulb and anti roll bushes only in that time apart from routine servicing. Prior to sale had a full service done to my surprise the Toyota main dealer dealer charged less than £180 and my local garage wanted £200 for same! We were extremely impressed by the Toyota dealer's good service.
Recently replaced a 53 Yaris diesel with a Honda Jazz. Had the Yaris from new and replaced one bulb and anti roll bushes only in that time apart from routine servicing. Prior to sale had a full service done to my surprise the Toyota main dealer dealer charged less than £180 and my local garage wanted £200 for same! We were extremely impressed by the Toyota dealer's good service.

I havd had the same experience.. Far better than Ford, Audi and BMW - to name my previous cars...

Yaris - A full service on car which only run 1000 miles? - jonny1
I have the same prob with my new model Sportage.Just had its 1st service at 2700 miles but i knew this would be the case when i bought it.To keep my warrenty i have to have this done for 7 years but i have never bought any extra warrenty on any of my previous cars as with such low milage it is unlikely to go seriously wrong.