2006 Ford Focus II Ghia 1.6 Ti-VCT 115PS - Starter Motor Occasionally Not Engaging - IKM

Coincident with the onset of colder damper weather the starter motor of my Ford Focus occassionally does not engage with the ring gear on the flywheel to turn the engine. The motor turns ok but the drive gear just rattles against the side of the ring gear. It always works ok at the 2nd or 3rd attempt. I think it just needs a bit of lubrication on the starter motor drive shaft so that the drive gear can slide easily to engage in the flywheel ring gear. However it doesn't look a particularly easy job to do lying under the car on the driveway. Has anyone had any experience of this fault and removing and replacing the starter motor on this model of Ford Focus.

2006 Ford Focus II Ghia 1.6 Ti-VCT 115PS - Starter Motor Occasionally Not Engaging - Peter.N.

I don't know this particular car but normally the bendix runs dry, if you lubricate it dust from the clutch and outside stick to it and make matters worse. The problem is probably with the solonoid, I had one not long ago that had shorted turns and was not providing enough torque to engage the bendix gear fully. I got a replacement starter from ebay for not a lot of money which cured it.

Edited by Peter.N. on 24/10/2011 at 17:00

2006 Ford Focus II Ghia 1.6 Ti-VCT 115PS - Starter Motor Occasionally Not Engaging - TeeCee

You can lubricate a bendix drive, you use graphite.

In practical terms, scribble on it with a soft pencil. A very old trick that one.

Another possibility with those symptoms is a worn flywheel ring gear. An engine usually stops rotating in the same place. The ring gear wears at this point until the teeth are to low for the cog on the bendix (or even in extremis a pre-engaged type) to "catch". Repeated attempts will often "catch" the next tooth and it'll go. Eventually the worn bit gets so large that the only option is to shove the thing in gear and push it to move the engine round a bit. I once had an old Austin 1800(!) with this problem.....

2006 Ford Focus II Ghia 1.6 Ti-VCT 115PS - Starter Motor Occasionally Not Engaging - bathtub tom

Aren't these the symptons of a DMF starting to break up?

Sorry!

2006 Ford Focus II Ghia 1.6 Ti-VCT 115PS - Starter Motor Occasionally Not Engaging - Peter.N.

I've been here before, I'm pretty sure that the DMF is on the clutch side of the flywheel and that the gear ring is on the solid side - in which case, no.

2006 Ford Focus II Ghia 1.6 Ti-VCT 115PS - Starter Motor Occasionally Not Engaging - IKM

Thanks for the tips about only using graphite on the bendix.

2006 Ford Focus II Ghia 1.6 Ti-VCT 115PS - Starter Motor Occasionally Not Engaging - jc2

Must be seriously damaged teeth on starter and/or flywheel because the starter should not begin to rotate until teeth are engaged.

Update: This problem has not recurred within the last 6 weeks so I'm going to leave well alone at present. If there is a recurrence I'll remove the starter motor and investigate, replacing it if necessary. I've since found out that on this car the starter motor can be removed from above by first removing the Air Clearner asembly then the Throttle Body.

I can now close this out. The problem started again with the onset of colder damp weather, i.e. the starter pinion could be heard spinning against the flywheel but the pinion didn't engage the ring gear to turn the engine. I removed the starter and for quickness replaced with a new one and everything is ok. Later, on investigating the old starter I found the grease between the pinion and the pinion shaft had practically solidified preventing the pinion from moving along the shaft. I stripped and cleaned it and re-greased and I now have a good spare. To get to the starter I removed the battery negative connnection, air cleaner, throttle body, fuel injectors (with fuel line and fuel rail attached) and inlet manifold, and various electrical connectors and air hoses. I also removed the top 2 mounting bolts and loosened the bottom mounting bolt of the alternator and pulled it forward to get access to the top and bottom left hand bolts of the manifold. With hindsight it would have been better to remove the alternator - the drive belt becomes slack and can be slipped off when the alternator is in the forward position. It would not have been necessary to cut the belt as instructed in the Haynes manual. On re-assembly I needed to use a pry bar between the alternator mounting bracket and the engine mounting to overcome the tension on the drive belt. I also found it necessary to lightly grease the injector collars to ease them back into the bores in the cylinder head

This was quite a lengthy job to get to the starter motor but on this car there is no other way.

Edited by IKM on 15/10/2013 at 15:09