Vauxhall corsa c 1.0 12v - Exhaust Maniverter Problems Please answer - jamie17

The all in one exhaust manifold/catalytic converter on my z10xe has got a hairline crack about 6cm long to the right hand side of the lambda sensor. This is not blowing at all and the engine sounds completely the same as always. I only discovered it because i was changing the heatshield that had rotted round the bolt holes and i dont know how long its been there. The crack looks fairly old as it is rusty . If it is not blowing, will it be ok to keep driving the car with the crack and is it likely to pass an MOT if i put the heatshield back on and forget about it? Will it survive the winter or will it get bigger? I am a student and really cant afford a new cat if i can get away with it.

Vauxhall corsa c 1.0 12v - Exhaust Maniverter Problems Please answer - 1litregolfeater

it may well fail the MOT if the crack is leaky enough to draw in appreciable volumes of air, as this will disturb the lambda reading.

I wouldn't worry about it of it's running ok, if it does fail, you could get it welded or just clamp on a plate you can make in your shed, out of a biscuit tin with some aluminium foil and exhaust sealant, attached with jubilee clips.

Bear in mind, if it's a real crack, the whole thing could fail some time, but it will probably be ok.