Insurance and estimated mileage - Craggyislander
Hi all

Its that time of year when my fully comp policy is up for renewal and I have had a few quotes drop through the door, one of
which caught my eye because they printed on the quote a sliding scale of charges if I went over the "estimated mileage" that I would quote to them at the beginning of the policy year.
Is this standard practice? I do understand that obviously the more time you are on the road the more of a risk you present but I haven't seen any company tell me they will add up to £500 to my excess if I went say 5000 miles over the estimated mileage!
I have now upped this with my present insurers to reflect a more accurate figure.
Thanks
Insurance and estimated mileage - nick
I've often been asked the estimated annual mileage when insuring a car but never the current milometer reading. So how would they know in the event of a claim other than by asking for previous mot certificates which I would of course not kept?
Insurance and estimated mileage - Marcus
"So how would they know in the event of a claim other than by asking for previous mot certificates which I would of course not kept?"

But your current MOT shows the mileage. I bet they would investigate if you claimed to be doing, say, 5K a year and they found you had covered 4K in 3 months.

What is the difference in premium(in percentage terms) beween a car doing say 5K, 10K & 20K a year?
With the only fault claim I have ever made, back in 1993, the assessor didn't ask for any of the documentation for the car. He just assessed the damage and cleared off. Do they normally check MOTs and stuff?
Insurance and estimated mileage - smokie
"the more time you are on the road the more of a risk you present"....

but then the other view is that you have more experience...

and 40,000 with no accident is more of an achievement than 5,000 with no accident...
Insurance and estimated mileage - Ben79
Buy a second hand car with low mileage, claim you do average then if anything should happen, your car looks like it has average mileage.

I drive 12-13k a year (declared correctly), but my car looks like 2 years old as the previous owner drove the kids to school in it and that was just about all.
Insurance and estimated mileage - Hugo {P}
Classic car insurance policies usually come with a maximum mileage of say 5000. Mind you £70 odd for fully comp for My Morris Oxford, regardless of no claims bonus - I didn't complain. They were also interested as to whether I had another car.

Whilst we're on this subject, anyone know of any companies that do special rates for covering 5000 miles or less in a commercial vehicle?

As you may have read from one of my threads I am looking out for a panel van for private use.
Classic cars poilicies are a real bargain, Hugo. My moggies are with Footman James with a premium of around £80 with unlimited mileage. Classics make great sense for a second car.
Est Mileage - Mark RLBS? - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Every year I'm asked an estimated mileage.

Every year for both car and bike I say 5k (a tad low) when asked but insist I *don't* want a limited mileage policy.

I always get a verbal agreement that I will not be buying a limited mileage policy.

For the bike I'm asked if I will take a pillion. Now how the hell am I supposed to honestly answer that? I say yes, but often I won't in the course of the year.

I am assured year after year that these are just 'lifestyle' questions. Have I been mislead?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Est Mileage - Mark RLBS? - Cliff Pope
Maybe No Claims Bonuses ought to be based on mileage not years?
Insurance and estimated mileage - SpamCan61 {P}
This year I actually declared 35K miles per year I'm doing rather than the usual 10K; this increased my premium (with Tesco) from £220 to £290. I do wonder how far out the 'estimated' milage has to be before the insurance company would refuse to pay out..
Vaguely OT I suppose but when they ask about modifications to the car I say 'not to my knowledge'; when the policy comes through the post it states ' no modifications' : not the same thing!
Insurance and estimated mileage - martint123
Last years quotes - I forget which company this was, but may be a guide.

less than 1500 miles 105
less than 4000 miles 152
less than 5000 miles 165
less than 8000 miles 184

Martin
Insurance and estimated mileage - daryld
This is an insurance marketing con in my view.

The insurance industry use data modelling and statistics to work out accident rates and motor premiums. They then insure themselves in case they get the numbers wrong.

However, since only 6% of motoring accidents occur on motorways, and by definition if you are covering a high mileage so you are probably travelling most of your time on a motorway, then you are less likey to make a claim.

By asking customer to pay extra for travelling higher miles is a profit spinner for the insurance company.
Insurance and estimated mileage - Cardew
"By asking customer to pay extra for travelling higher miles is a profit spinner for the insurance company."

I suppose the insurance companies would say you get a reduction for lower miles! Cup half empty or half full?

When the 'Big Brother' world arrives with a tracker fitted in your car - either voluntarily or mandatory - it is feasible that the insurance companies will charge you on usage. Although will they know if it is being driven by us low risk drivers(of course we are) or by our high risk kids.
Insurance and estimated mileage - IanT
I was checking my renewal quotes with www.directline.com yesterday, and did some quick tests on the effects of estimated mileage -

Any estimated mileage up to 10,000 - all same price.
Declare 12,000 ... +4.5% over the 10,000 rate
Declare 15,000 ... +9.6% over the 10,000 rate

I think I'll declare 10,000.

Ian
Insurance and estimated mileage - martint123
Although will they know if it is being driven by us low risk drivers(of course we are) or by our high risk kids.

As it will also show speed, you will probably be charged per mph/mile ;-)
Insurance and estimated mileage - Glutton
Its a bit strange insurance. Loads of time is spent modelling data, calcualting rates etc. And then along comes an underwriter and as its for an old mate, the ratings table goes out of the window.

Insurance co's have been making underwriting losses for ages and have only been able to survive due to good investment performance. Now investment markets are taking a turn for the worse, they are now actually looking more and more at the premiums they charge.

And reinsurance isn't really because they are worried that they have it wrong - its more for the slightly off the wall event, such as serious flooding, serious windstorms or something like Selby happening again.

As for the mileage, its hard to analyse what specific miles an individual does. Insurance is pretty much based on broad brush assumptions. If we do go down the road of Pay As You Go with Big Brother watching, then it may be different.
Insurance and estimated mileage - prokon
With my insurance company i have a 7000mile policy but on renewal i have to declare my present mileometer reading, that is for my discovery strangely my motor bike has a 3000mile limit but i have never been asked to declare the actual mileage on the clock.
Insurance and estimated mileage - JamesH
This is an insurance marketing con in my view.
The insurance industry use data modelling and statistics to work out
accident rates and motor premiums. They then insure themselves in case
they get the numbers wrong.
However, since only 6% of motoring accidents occur on motorways, and
by definition if you are covering a high mileage so you
are probably travelling most of your time on a motorway, then
you are less likey to make a claim.
By asking customer to pay extra for travelling higher miles is
a profit spinner for the insurance company.

The insurers may take the view that using a car more means more opportunities to have an accident.

There may be fewer accidents on motorways but the claims will often be big due to the high speed. Most accidents around town (not involving pedestrians) are at low speed, cause less damage and may even not result in a claim.

The most inequitable part of car insurance premiums is the no claims discount. Those with max NCD pay too much and those with none don't pay enough. If the system was made fairer, those with no NCD would be priced out of insurance!

James
(Student Actuary currently studying a General Insurance course - great fun)
Insurance and estimated mileage - James_Jameson
James (H),

do you think that that, like those with max NCD, owners of high-value / high-performance cars pay too much relative to risk. I tend to think that they do. In my experience, owners of those sort of vehicles tend in the main to be older and more careful, and that it's the company car drivers in their mondeos, vectras and so on that represent the higher risk - what have you learnt about this in your General Insurance Course?
Insurance and estimated mileage - JamesH
My course isn't quite that specific!

High value/performance cars may have a higher theft risk or cost more to fix when crashed. But it is difficult for insurers to tell whether the driver is careful or trying to exploit all the performance from the car so all get the high 'average' premium.

There is also plenty of competition for bread-and-butter cars but less as you go up the price/performance scale, keeping premiums up.

A company will pay a fair amount for it's company car drivers. However, if the drivers don't pay themselves, they don't have the incentive to drive more carefully.

James
Insurance and estimated mileage - tyro
I've just renewed my insurance. As my estimated mileage, I told them 10,000 - same as last year. I checked after renewing, and discovered that in the last 12 months the car actually did 10,175.

I can't see them complaining about that - but how high would my mileage have to be before the insurance company took the view that I had mislead them?
Insurance and estimated mileage - leef
I as long as you haven't really taken the mick with the mileage there shouldn't be a problem, if you did 19,000 miles or something but only declared 10,000 then they might have something to say, thats assuming they would even ask you for the mileage? but lets say you did 13,000 instead of 10,000 I personally dont think they'd kick off to much.
Insurance and estimated mileage - deepwith
On my last car I said I did high mileage (20,000+) and they asked for the mileometer reading - the certificate arrived saying I did 8,000pa! I queried this and was told it was fine. Queried again on renewal and told it was fine again. On both occasions I kept a note of the call and who I spoke to (just in case!). When the car was written off they had no interest in what I had done
Insurance and estimated mileage - PR {P}
It states on my policy schedule next to the estimated miles (12k) that if you're going to exceed it, to inform them. They will then add a cost to my premium. If I get to the penultimate day of my policy and have done say only 8k miles, if I called them to tell them, do you think I'd get some premium refunded? I think not.
Insurance and estimated mileage - SteVee
a couple of years ago, I phoned my insurer to say that the car would be doing 10k miles pa, not the 5k I had originally said.
I also said my 17yo daughter would now be the main driver, instead of just a named driver.
They gave me a partial refund (!)
They were amongst the cheapest when I took the policy out, so I don't think they overcharged me.
They don't necessarily charge more when you inform them of a change, but some of their methods of calculating premiums defy logic.
Insurance and estimated mileage - Galaxy
I spoke to my insurer a few years ago at renewal time. I told them that my annual mileage was going to increase from the 12,000 that I originally told them to about 18,000 because I was going to start using my car to commute to and from work.

They told me that once I had been insured with them for 12 months, which I had been, they weren't interested in how many miles I did.
Insurance and estimated mileage - james86
It's also worth noting that a car can be driven under another driver's "any car" insurance policy. Miles driven in this way clearly don't need to be included on your declaration to your insurance company, so will make any declared mileage readings you gave them entirely useless as you can just blame any excess on another driver.

Insurance and estimated mileage - Cardew
It's also worth noting that a car can be driven under
another driver's "any car" insurance policy. Miles driven in this way
clearly don't need to be included on your declaration to your
insurance company, so will make any declared mileage readings you gave
them entirely useless as you can just blame any excess on
another driver.

A lot of companies are now removing the DOC(drive other cars) clause from policies. There was a long thread about this a while back. As things currently stand a driver with a Fiesta can drive my Ferrari(or do I have a Porsche - I know its something foreign).

Much as your plan might work, it perhaps wouldn't stand up to much scrutiny; and conspiracy to defraud is pretty serious!

I upped the mileage on SWMBO's shopping trolley and had quite a hike in the premium.

If you seriously exceeded your declared mileage I wonder what the implications are? I suspect you would lose any chance of claiming for damages to your property. However these would be 'small beer' if you were liable for death/injury to a third person. I believe your third party element would still be intact; but what if you were only third party insured? Would the insurance company sue you?
Insurance and estimated mileage - james86
A lot of companies are now removing the DOC(drive other cars)
clause from policies. There was a long thread about this a
while back. As things currently stand a driver with a Fiesta
can drive my Ferrari(or do I have a Porsche - I
know its something foreign).
Much as your plan might work, it perhaps wouldn't stand up
to much scrutiny; and conspiracy to defraud is pretty serious!
I upped the mileage on SWMBO's shopping trolley and had quite
a hike in the premium.
If you seriously exceeded your declared mileage I wonder what the
implications are? I suspect you would lose any chance of claiming
for damages to your property. However these would be 'small beer'
if you were liable for death/injury to a third person. I
believe your third party element would still be intact; but what
if you were only third party insured? Would the insurance company
sue you?

Yes absolutely, you're right in that policies with any car cover seem to be slowly disappearing. But many people particularly older drivers who have stayed with the same company for a period of time seem to still have them. As you say they're not logical in the sense that a 1.2 Fiesta driver with this cover can also drive a 3.0 Porsche but since when was the insurance industry logical!

Of course I'm not condoning conspiracy to defraud just pointing out an apparent hole in the system

Insurance and estimated mileage - JH
How far can you go on Craggy Island? :-)

JH
Insurance and estimated mileage - Nsar
I'm amused that insurance companies claim to be able to gauge the sensitivity of risk to the extent of the difference between say 10k and 12k miles pa without any questions about the type of journeys you do, even though the risk of driving on an m/way is plainly different to hacking through commuter traffic.
I live half a mile off the road on a dead end track but share a postcode with the house which adjoins the road. Neither house has a garage so all things being equal the same premium would apply yet the risk of theft etc is manifestly different with no passing vehicle or pedestrian traffic.
My previous car was damaged by a negligent garage last year. I called my insurance to see if it might be covered. After much incompetent faffing about they said no, it's a civil matter. They put this down as a "vandalism incident" on my policy which took 3 phone calls to get removed.
What qualifications do you need to be an actuary these days, it looks like a "computer says no" doddle to me.
Insurance and estimated mileage - DrS
Asked for an insurance quote, and was offered a policy which covered me up to 20,000 miles per annum, cost £420.
I said that was no good, as I cover more like 30 - 40,000 per year.
Insurer said, "Ah, well, we will have to put you on an unlimted mileage policy: Cost £390".
And the logic in that is......?