Citroen C2 GT 1.6 2004 - Mysterious noise that is draining my battery - Benj500

I'm hoping that I can draw on someone's knowledge of Citroens to help me identify and stop a mysterious, mechanical activity that my Citroen C2 1.6 GT carries out approximately 35 secods after the key is removed.

The best way to describe it is a "Click.....Click. Whirrrrrrrrr" noise. You can hear an amplified recording here: http://audioboo.fm/boos/497960-citroen-click-click-whirring.
The first click emanates from behind the glove box in the engine bay. The second click and whirring comes from behind the dashboard on the driver's side.
This continues at 35/40 sec intervals until either the battery goes flat or I return to the vehicle.

It's as if the car is trying to constantly kill power to something, but there is nothing running, so it just keeps going.

I've had the electrics checked out by a Citroen dealer - alternator, battery quality and other electrical checks all passed. I've been through the manual and trawled the web, but found nothing that matches these symptoms.

I thought that perhaps it was the non-standard radio (a Blauplunkt Toronto 400) causing the issue, but the garage confirmed that radio was fitted correctly. I throw myself to the mercy of this group - Please help! Thanks. Ben

Edited by Benj500 on 08/10/2011 at 15:19

Citroen C2 GT 1.6 2004 - Mysterious noise that is draining my battery - sparky93

i had a c2, sparky93 on c2club.co.uk.

if the radio was fitted WITHOUT the correct cable adapter, then the car will do odd things. best to remove radio and see if fault stops.

Citroen C2 GT 1.6 2004 - Mysterious noise that is draining my battery - mrfalex

I'm hoping that I can draw on someone's knowledge of Citroens to help me identify and stop a mysterious, mechanical activity that my Citroen C2 1.6 GT carries out approximately 35 secods after the key is removed.

The best way to describe it is a "Click.....Click. Whirrrrrrrrr" noise. You can hear an amplified recording here: http://audioboo.fm/boos/497960-citroen-click-click-whirring.
The first click emanates from behind the glove box in the engine bay. The second click and whirring comes from behind the dashboard on the driver's side.
This continues at 35/40 sec intervals until either the battery goes flat or I return to the vehicle.

It's as if the car is trying to constantly kill power to something, but there is nothing running, so it just keeps going.

I've had the electrics checked out by a Citroen dealer - alternator, battery quality and other electrical checks all passed. I've been through the manual and trawled the web, but found nothing that matches these symptoms.

I thought that perhaps it was the non-standard radio (a Blauplunkt Toronto 400) causing the issue, but the garage confirmed that radio was fitted correctly. I throw myself to the mercy of this group - Please help! Thanks. Ben

This is massive long shot given the time period but this is the exact same problem i have with my C2 vts, is there any chance you got this fixed and if so can you remember what the fault was?

Citroen C2 GT 1.6 2004 - Mysterious noise that is draining my battery - galileo

A slow and tedious method which might, however trace the problem, would be to remove fuses one at a time until you find what is powering the 'whirring' noise.

Might be quicker to remove relays, this may stop the click which may be supplying power to the 'whirr'.