ford focus 1.8 tdci - engine management light/loss of power - redrocket10000

HI, I recently had a new clutch fitted, low and behold when i had it back there seemed to be a loss of power and the engine management light has come on. any ideas on what might have gone wrong.

ford focus 1.8 tdci - engine management light/loss of power - Bobbin Threadbare

Can you give us a bit more info please? A loss of power when etc? When trying to accelerate, or changing gear?

ford focus 1.8 tdci - engine management light/loss of power - redrocket10000

Loss of power happens when trying to accelerate, feels very flat akin to a turbo malfunction...although a new turbo was fitted 12 months ago. more prominent in 1st 2nd and 3rd gears. however when the new clutch was fitted i know that a pipe was disconnected of the turbo for access to the clutch/gearbox

ford focus 1.8 tdci - engine management light/loss of power - Avant

Moved to Technical.

ford focus 1.8 tdci - engine management light/loss of power - spidermev

Hey guys, sorry to be a gravedigger but did OP ever get to the bottom of this? I'm in exactly that situation now :(

ford focus 1.8 tdci - engine management light/loss of power - BenG

If the engine light is on or the glow plug light has been flashing then I'd say getting the codes read would be the best options as there are many faults which could trigger loack of power or put the engine in limp home mode.

Simple checks would be to check all the pressure pipework between the turbo and engine for leaky joints or splits/holes in the pipes themselves. These can be hard to see if they only open up under pressure but oil seepage / spatter might reveal the location of any leaks. The rubber bellows pipes attached to the intercooler also tend to wear where the metal spirals sit in the base of the corrugations wo worth checking those for any signs of leakage, as well as checking all jubilee clips are tight.

Also check the small-bore rubber vacuum pipes on top of the engine are all connected and in good condition. A leak here can result in loss of power. A garage worked on my car once and left the small pipe disconnected from a black plastic box close to the firewall and the car lost most of its power. Turned out to be the MAP sensor.

Finally, check the variable vane actuator arm attached to the turbo is free to move and does not stick in position. You need to reach down past the RHS of the engine to reach the turbo and push the arm back and forth to che if it is free to move. Sticky turbo vanes can result in overboost which causes the engine to drop into 'limp home' mode. Cleaning the turbo can stop this.

ford focus 1.8 tdci - engine management light/loss of power - spidermev

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I was planning on getting the codes checked but it came up late Saturday evening and I was working on the Sunday night. Luckily for me (or not) the Mrs bailed me out with her Ka!

So I took it back to where I got the clutch done and told them it was running like a bag of crap since I got it back. He plugged it in and started routing around the engine bay, as you said BenG, checking all the pipework. He found a split in a pipe connected to the turbo which was only visible at around 2000rpm and above, not sure what the pipe is for but its about 10mm outside diameter. He just trimmed the split and reconnected it. Instant power! He reset the Engine Warning Light and so far so good :)

Thanks again and I hope this helps the next person

ford focus 1.8 tdci - engine management light/loss of power - BenG

I'd guess it was the vacuum attached to the variable vane actuator.

No vane movement = little or no boost as the vanes will 'fail safe' in the bypass position, directing most of the exhaust gases away from the turbine.

Good cheap fix!