2003 Renault Scenic (old shape) - Car Pulling to Left Under Braking - superdaveuk

Hi,

I've got a 2003 Renault Scenic 1.4 (old shape), which is pulling to the left under medium braking.
Light braking, it's fine, heavy braking, it's fine, but under medium braking, it seems to dive down a bit at the front, along with wallowing off to the left.

The car continues on dead straight when not braking, so tracking etc seems OK.

The only issue I've been able to see is the right front wheel has about an inch and a half less clearance between the wheel arch and the tyre than the left. I thought that this was going to be the shock absorbers needing a replacement, but I've taken it to Kwik Fit who have checked the suspension, track rods etc, but haven't found anything - they acknowledge that there is a problem though and advised me to take to a main dealer - they want £85 for the diagnostic though!

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David

2003 Renault Scenic (old shape) - Car Pulling to Left Under Braking - gordonbennet

Most likely a brake fault, partially seized jamming on nsf calliper or fittings, or weak or partially sezed osf, but don't discount the rear brakes, if the nsr brake is weak the car will naturally try to turn left under braking.

How many years since the brakes were fully stripped inspected cleaned lubricated reassembled and bled through with fresh fluid?

Also look for worn suspension bushes, deforming under braking and altering the wheel alignment, and possible broekn spring from the different ride heghts you mention.

The place you took it to for inspection may not be the best for such things, i'd go to a competent indy garage and let a proper mechnic have a poke nose, you don't need to bend over at the main dealer @ £100 an hour..

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/10/2011 at 14:32

2003 Renault Scenic (old shape) - Car Pulling to Left Under Braking - superdaveuk

All of the discs and pads were replaced about 8 months ago. It's a new car for us, but would have thought all of the stripping down etc would have occured then. Have checked all the pads etc and all seem well. If I brake v. heavily all seems to work fine (it doesn't move left at all).

Will book it in the independent down the road and see what they can find. Took it there because they did a free check... I thought it might be the spring too, but they didn't find anything.

Thanks.

2003 Renault Scenic (old shape) - Car Pulling to Left Under Braking - gordonbennet

All of the discs and pads were replaced about 8 months ago. It's a new car for us, but would have thought all of the stripping down etc would have occured then.

Not always done properly though, sometimes things just get boshed in without the care to detail they should get, such as cleaning and lubricating any sliders, you won't know if the brakes were bled unless you have the receipt.

Update us when you have the answer if you would, be interested to know.

2003 Renault Scenic (old shape) - Car Pulling to Left Under Braking - bathtub tom

>>the right front wheel has about an inch and a half less clearance between the wheel arch and the tyre than the left

That sounds very much like a broken coil spring to me. I suggest you park it on level ground and measure this accurately and if you find a discrepancy then look very carefully at your coils. I once checked mine before an MOT, but it failed because a broken coil was spotted from underneath, something I'm ashamed to admit I missed..

Will have a good feel of

Edited by superdaveuk on 03/10/2011 at 17:03

2003 Renault Scenic (old shape) - Car Pulling to Left Under Braking - jc2

Had a similar problem on a Cortina-eventually turned out that one of the front wheels,which appeared identical,was in fact,a Capri wheel with a slightly different offset.