V778 Rtention expired -- HELP - dimuc

Hi

I sold my vehicle in 2009 and for some reason the buyer became the owner of my private number plate and I ended up as a nominee. I originally paid for a 2 year retention and i have the V778 (retention document) where it states the Grantee as the buyer and me as the nominee. I have only today remembered that the retention may have expired and it has! the form states the expiry 03.06.2011. i dont know if I should have got a reminder or if the Grantee did. Iam desperate to keep the reg and I have been onto the dvla site where it states;

"if the retention document has run out, the grantee must return the document and appropriate fee with a letter explaining why the application is late. The request will be considered.

However I dont know if I the nominee can provide a reason or what that reason should be in order for it to be considered.

I would really appreciate someone on this forums help and advice on my next steps.

Many Thanks

V778 Rtention expired -- HELP - crjos

The reminder would have gone to the grantee, and only the grantee can renew. A helpful grantee would agree to change the address to yours, so that the letter arrives in the grantee's name but at least you can get it.

Assuming that the grantee will help you out, ring up the DVLA. If you say that you are the nominee, then they won't talk to you about the reg.

Six months (as it is now) is quite a long time but they may be lenient. They don't have anything to gain from not letting you extend so you may be lucky.