Peugeot 406 Headlights - Scribes
I own a 406 1.9 Diesel. Recently I noted the dipped beam on the passenger side was not working. I replaced the bulb to no effect. My next step was the fuses, which I duly checked and they were all okay. Logic would now suggest either a relay or switch problem. The full beam works okay from the stalk switch.

However driving around I have noticed a number of 406s with the same defect. Is this a common fault? Am I heading down the right road to find it? or am I going to have to give in and take it to a main dealer (grumble)

I would be grateful for any help

cheers
Peugeot 406 Headlights - Ian Cook
I don't think that Peugeot use two relays for separate sides for the vehicle, and if one side works and the other doesn't then it's not likely to be a fuse or relay problem.

My money would be on a harness/connector fault, especially if it's at the front of the car. You could try tracing the harness back from the headlight in question and, if it disappears behind the front bumper then it's likely that it will go to in-line bullet connectors, and these might be corroded. I had a similar problem with cooling fans not working on a 306. The main dealer bill for diagnosing and fixing (front bumper off and partial re-make of the harness) was about £120.

Also, check the earth at the lamp - but I guess that if the side-light is working then it's probably OK.

Ian Cook