MINI One - Mini clutch change and now Crabbing down the road - Pablo202

Hi there,

We recently had the clutch go on our daughters Mini, four months after purchasing it. (not new). It was found that the clutch flywheel had cracked and the plate was worn. The garage changed the lot (we had to pay for the clutch but not the fly wheel. wear and tear).

I visited the garage whilst the Mini was in pieces and noticed that the wheels and I think, the front axles were off. It was all done and as soon as I followed my daughter back home noticed that the car was crabbing down the road. It sure didn't do that before. So she took it back in and they said that the back end was out of line and that was the problem......and not anything they had done.

Someone else has now told me that they should have alined the whole car. I'm no whizz with these things so can someone explain any of it to me so it at least sounds like I know what I'm talking about if I take it back....one more time!!!

Many Thanks

Pablo

I do apologise. I have put this on the wrong part of the site!!!! No good with cars or internet!!!!

MINI One - Mini clutch change and now Crabbing down the road - SlidingPillar

Clutch and flywheel change should not affect wheel alignment as no suspension components are involved.

Old style Minis would crab if the subframe mounts shifted - usually due to corrosion.

Ok, so it will cost you £30 or a bit more, but a tyre place doing 4 wheel alignment will either be able to adjust, or tell you where the problem is.

MINI One - Mini clutch change and now Crabbing down the road - SteveLee

It would have to be a long way out to crab - sure it hasn't been kerbed at speed during the road test by a boy-racer at the dealers? This sort of thing used to happen frequently when I was in the trade - seen quite a few practically written-off cars patched up and handed back to customers. Usually you get shpeel about parts not being available so they have time to frantically bodge the car.

I'll take it to a tyre fitting place tomorrow to see how things stand. Maybe I'm over reacting and it's nothing. Let's hope so.

Thanks for all the help.

Pablo

MINI One - Mini clutch change and now Crabbing down the road - Avant

Moved to Technical fo you - no problem.

MINI One - Mini clutch change and now Crabbing down the road - Talking Hoarse

Take the car back to the garage who did the clutch pronto! Something has clearly not gone back on straight.

Also - I think you should make clear that this is a (BMW type) Mini One by quoting the model year to avoid confusion with old Austin /Morris /BMC etc Minis as picked up by previous poster.

MINI One - Mini clutch change and now Crabbing down the road - TeeCee

Dunno if it applies to the MINI, but on some cars it is necessary to remove the front subframe to remove the 'box and access the clutch. Astras spring to mind as one.

If this were the same and they hadn't lined the thing up on the jig when replacing it you could get exactly that effect.

Just a thought....

MINI One - Mini clutch change and now Crabbing down the road - Roly93

Dunno if it applies to the MINI, but on some cars it is necessary to remove the front subframe to remove the 'box and access the clutch. Astras spring to mind as one.

If this were the same and they hadn't lined the thing up on the jig when replacing it you could get exactly that effect.

This is a good point, Audi A3's and A4's can have wierd tyre wear on the front due to a mis-alligned subframe in this way also.