Jeep Grand Cherokee - winter tyres all year round on a 4X4? - bananastand

Now look here you chaps. I had a Range Rover once for about a year and looking back, I'm sure it had winter tyres on it. The tread seemed to be about an inch deep. I didn't have any problems with handling in the summer.

Now I've got a Jeep and I can see the tyres will need replacing sometime in the next year. Is fitting winter tyres on a permanent basis a supremely bad idea or will it make no difference? I can't afford to buy a set of four extra wheels/tyres, especially after paying the monstrous road tax that's been imposed in the name of the biggest scam in the history of civilisation, namely man-made climate change.

Jeep Grand Cherokee - winter tyres all year round on a 4X4? - jamie745

Doesnt sound like you're having a good day!

I always buy all weather tyres and ive never had a 4x4 but my basic understanding has always been summer tyres in winter are much worse than winter tyres in summer.

More can never be too much.

Jeep Grand Cherokee - winter tyres all year round on a 4X4? - RT

I also use All-Season tyres all year round but I make sure they're also M+S and"3 peaks" winter rated - Pirelli Scorpion STR in the past on the Subaru Outback and likely Vredestein Quatrac 3 in the future on the Hyundai Santa Fe.

Proper winter tyres can wear very quickly in summer and unlike all other types they have no UTQG rating for wear so you can only go on anecdotal reputation.

Edited by RT on 14/09/2011 at 17:26

Jeep Grand Cherokee - winter tyres all year round on a 4X4? - Ethan Edwards

Beat me to it. I was going to add the OEM equipment on your Jeep would in all liklihood have those specified anyway. EG Xtrail came with Dunlop Grandtrek's which are OK but I prefer Goodyear Wranglers myself. And yes both of those have the mountain silhouette on them and have the legend M+S (and I don't mean Markus & Sparkus) in the lettering on the tyre. Incidentally RT ...several XT owners (on the XT forum) also really rate those Pirelli Scorpions you mention.

Thanks chaps, it does have Pirelli Wranglers on it now. I never thought of the extra wear in summer.... please don't tell me how much Pirelli Wranglers cost. Ha ha.

No I was having a good day actualleh! I rant about climate change scam artists every day!

Ha ha again.

Jeep Grand Cherokee - winter tyres all year round on a 4X4? - jamie745

No the funny bit is councils paying £40k of our money for someone to be their 'Climate Change Officer' and ive read the four page job description and i still have no idea what the role entails.

I might apply!

Jeep Grand Cherokee - winter tyres all year round on a 4X4? - NARU

I run General AT2 all year round on my landcruiser. Snowflake marked (so passes the snow/ice traction tests) but really a good solid all rounder. Good in the mud too.

Cheers Marlot I'm gonna save all this for when the dreaded tyre-purchasing moment comes round.

I couldn't.... I'd lie and lie on the form but my mask would slip in the interview and I'd end up throwing things.

Jeep Grand Cherokee - winter tyres all year round on a 4X4? - SteveLee

I have Pirelli Scorpions on the Range Rover, I will be replacing them with General Grabber ATs before the winter sets in. Proper winter tyres are too noisy and will wear too fast in the summer.

Vredestein Quatrac 3 are outstanfing all-season tyres but obviously not designed for off-roading - even of the mild type.

Jeep Grand Cherokee - winter tyres all year round on a 4X4? - RT

I have Pirelli Scorpions on the Range Rover, I will be replacing them with General Grabber ATs before the winter sets in. Proper winter tyres are too noisy and will wear too fast in the summer.

Vredestein Quatrac 3 are outstanfing all-season tyres but obviously not designed for off-roading - even of the mild type.

There are several versions of Pirelli Scorpion - the STR is M+S, just like the Quatrac 3 - depends on your definition of "mild" off-road!

Jeep Grand Cherokee - winter tyres all year round on a 4X4? - gordonbennet

When i first bought the Vred Wintrac Extremes for my Hilux i quickly realised just how poor the OE fitments were, stability, car like chuckability and cold wet grip that astounded, on the OE's the tail would out at the drop of a hat, having a LSD didn't help either.

Snow and ice grip was excellent, last winter i never used 4WD except to exercise the system, it went everywhere without murmer in RWD only.

I emailed Vredestein to ask if they would recommend running them all year round, they replied that it's not something they'd recommend but didn't really go into the why's.

I ended up with 2 sets of tyres, one summer one winter, the vehicle seldom left the road so offroad tyres were not a priority but wet road grip was.

After much research i ended up with General UHP directional tyres for the summer set, these proved very good and reasonably quiet, in the wet it didn't feel quite as planted as on Vred's, but no tail out antics.

Handy that Marlot notes the General AT2's are winter marked, i didn't know that.

It would be useful in tyre descriptions to easily discover things like that, they usually waffle lyrical with guff but fail to list the important stuff.

Edited by gordonbennet on 15/09/2011 at 12:27