VW Passat - Used cars - your rights - THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE - harry55

Hi. Just for information. I bought an 06 plate VW Passat 2.0 turbo sports. It looks and drive nice. Except within 1 week I found out the last stamp in the book was fraudulent. This meant the dealer hadn't done his homework re. FVWSH. In the end, we agreed to split costs and do a full service, etc.

However, twice in the first month I had the car, the car went into 'safe' or 'limp' mode with a sudden loss of power on the motorway. Very scary if anyone of you have experienced this! I was advised by Consumer Direct to repair, replace or reject the vehicle as I have only had it 4 weeks under the Sale of Goods Act (as amended).

However, checking my household policy, I had consumer protection included. Their solicitor advised me that, yes, this is the case for a new car. But a used car it is different. Whilst you can still use the 3Rs, you should give the dealer every opportunity to make good. If that fails (because they don't want to or the faults arise again), then you can reject it. They also said it makes the prospects of success at court more likely.

Clearly, I was annoyed about being given conflicting advice. I have taken the expert advice route and made it clear I will reject the vehicle if their offer to make good fails, and demand a full refund and costs. I hope this helps anyone out there.

Edited by Avant on 07/09/2011 at 21:48