Most Pointless Car? - jamie745

We've had 'Lemon of the Year' which dealt primarily with engineering arguments but what about this. The most pointless car?

By pointless i mean a car which seems to do nothing that another car even in the manufacturers own range cant do. A car which tries to do everything but ends up doing nothing well as a result. A car made purely for style and compromises on function.

An example, the BMW X6. What does it do that the BMW X5 doesnt? And even thats not a particularly good car. Its made to look coupe like and sporty but in a 4x4 sort of way and the upshot is it does neither of those things well and costs four limbs to buy.

The Ford Fusion? The disabled motability car favourite, its a jacked up Fiesta and yes the height i suppose is ideal for those with mobility issues but does it do anything the C-Max cant do?

Thoughts? (I know unthrottled will say RR Evoque)

Most Pointless Car? - Trilogy

Indeed, its smaller, more economical and cheaper than a C-MAX.

What about the Focus then? I know somebody who has had both on motability and found them similar.

Focus is no lemon.

No i meant what can the Fusion do which the Focus cant? If you want a Ford smaller than a C-Max then buy a Focus.

Most Pointless Car? - Avant

Headroom.

One of our neighbours is nearly 70, 6'5" and doesn't bend as well as he used to. He wanted something smaller and cheaper than the Volvos he'd been used to and is well satisfied.

Ok perhaps but theres plenty of cars a tall old person can fit in without having to invent a car purely for the purpose of it. I like Ford but the Fusion is a waste of space. It offers nothing their other cars dont.

Most Pointless Car? - Sofa Spud

After seeing a Suzuki X90 getting stuck in snow where all other vehicles were able to keep moving, I'd have to nominate it.

A 2-seater SUV with a large luggage boot and just rear-wheel drive (in standard form) with no pretensions to attractive styling appears to have nothing to offer!

Any SUV which doesnt work offroad can be put in here. Notably the X6 i nominated earlier. Its too much of a coupe styled sports car to be any good off road but its too much of a 4x4 shaped sized car to be much good at being a sporty family car etc it goes round in circles.

Most Pointless Car? - Bobbin Threadbare

There are several Peugeots which seem pointless; the 107, 207 and 307, and various Pug estates, all look the same to me. I'm sure there must be different trims but that many similar hatchbacks? Really?

Most Pointless Car? - unthrottled

As per one of my older threads-Audi A7!

The 107 is just the Peugeot-badged version of the car that's also the Toyota Aygo and Citroen C1.

Citroen / Peugeot currently produce three ranges - Citroen quirky (the DS series) Citroen conventional (C3, C4 etc) and Peugeot, also conventional (207, 307 etc). That sounds like one too many ranges, with perhaps the conventional Citroens being the ones best described as pointless.

Most Pointless Car? - gordonbennet

Citroen / Peugeot currently produce three ranges - Citroen quirky (the DS series) Citroen conventional (C3, C4 etc) and Peugeot, also conventional (207, 307 etc). That sounds like one too many ranges, with perhaps the conventional Citroens being the ones best described as pointless.

Pug versions do have one advantage if you're an insomniac, looking at any of their models bar the reasonable 207 should induce much needed sleep, but don't look at the front view.

What's happened to them, ugly or what, in comparison the equivalent Citroens are handsome devils, DS3 arguably one of the nicest looking cars currently sold....has some other manufacturer infiltrated an undercover agent into Pug's design studio, they used to make proper cars, useful and nice looking, who on earth thought that huge gaping gob of a grill looked anything other than hideous...look at pics of 4007 (not too long you'll be ill), then Citroen Crosser, you'd never believe they were the same car (Mitsi Outlanders really, and be careful looking at latest facelift Outlander if you don't want to throw up, Pugs designer done a moonlighter?), my nut case Vizsla dog could have designed it better, they've even ruined the otherwise nice looking new 408 with that huge gaping hole in the front bumper.

So i offer all Pugs as being pointless, unless you like ugly.

Most Pointless Car? - bananastand

The X6 is great if you want to look like a repellent oik with too much money?

Most Pointless Car? - Death51
Nissan Joke....Juke

What exactly is the point in that painful on the eye excuse of a vehicle?

Also having driven one (friend insisted after I asked him why he bought it) I was alarmed how much the front dips under braking.
Most Pointless Car? - pugswhdi

A car made purely for style and compromises on function.

What's wrong with style over function? It's down to personal taste and preference. I can't imagine spending X6 money on any car and especially not an X6 but from the road tests I've read it is a spectacular car to drive. If the owner likes the style of it then why not?

Would you prefer a steak and chips or sausage and smash? They both fill you up.

but from the road tests I've read it is a spectacular car to drive.

It wants to be for that sort of money! The point is how much better would it be to drive if it wasnt trying to look like a big 4x4?

Here's a contentious one: the Porsche 911. How many different models...?! Are they really all necessary? Couldn't they call them different numbers? I know they do this internally, but sell them all as 911s.

Yes you get the turbo and the one which is a turbo but isnt called a turbo and one which isnt a turbo and isnt called a turbo etc etc

I suppose in truth it's a seemingly pointless number of variations on a great car - although if they all sell well maybe not so pointless. It would have been good of the new 911 looked less like the old one.

Can you tell one Aston Martin from another? I can't.

Neither can I!

Very good point. Aren't Astons just souped up Jaguar XK8s? (apart from the Cygnet which is a Vanden Plas job on an IQ)

Jamie's right, I am going to nominate the Evoque-and the Freelander. The disco and defender are good at what they do. The latest Range Rover is theoretically capable on and off-road, but too many of them are sitting on unsuitable tyres which renders them pointless.

Well Aston only really need two cars, the DB9 and the Rapide. One is an excellent coupe and the other is a 5 door rocketship.

The DBS is a DB9 which is slightly better for twice the price. The Vantage is just a mini DB9 really and as for that laughable Cygnet (Toyota IQ for £30k) which even Aston wouldnt admit to being their idea...oh dear.

Apparently the Virage is coming back. And yes, i can hear that deafening silence of nobody caring.

I have already had my little 'what is this for?!!' about the Evoque. Top of the 'pointless' list.

There does seem to be a trend among manufacturers right now to invent cars to fill a segment which doesnt really exist. We didnt need lifestyle softroad coupe crossovers 10 years ago. The Evoque is made purposely to fill a gap which didnt need filling. If you want a Range Rover then buy a proper one!

These crossover things, SUV sized sporty coupe hatchbacky type things and by blending them all together you get a car which can fulfill none of those functions particularly well but they charge you extra for it.

In principle I'd agree about the Evoque - either have a 4x4 or a sporty coupe but not both at once. But it seems that order books are full, so can one describe a car (or any product) as pointless if lots of people want to buy it?

Debatable.

In that case that says more about the people who want to buy them and makes them pointless people. People we can do without. In general.

Lots of people bought Girls Aloud albums. Point made.

Fusion is smaller than Focus with better access to boot space. I must say the Fusion is ugly. B-Max will replace it.

Most Pointless Car? - Boulder2k9

What about the Audi A5 Sportback and the Audi A7?

Already mentioned. I think the A5 convertible is the best looking convertible in the market, but the A7 is utterly redundant.

Aston Martin Cygnet

A5 convertible is a fine car, I still think I prefer the E-Class convertible though...

Ah, MB! There must be some pointless cars in that sprawling range somewhere.

Utterly forgettable Initials leave the range looking vague and incoherent.

e.g. CLS250 CDTI

Since all diesel engines are now common rail direct injection and turbocharged, it is redundant.

Does the 250 refer to displacement/ No, it's actually a 2.2.

What does CLS stand for? Don't tell me, I've lost interest and gone to the BMW dealership instead.

Most Pointless Car? - Ethan Edwards

I'm voting Cayenne and X6 as pointless fugly disasters.

Thats not a typo..fugly.

What about the ML63 AMG, surely thats a contender?

Most Pointless Car? - mlj

I do think this is a silly thread, dominated by people that wish to push or impose their own prejudices on everyone else ; with the implication that if you do not agree you are somehow wrong.

A little tolerance goes a long way.

What does CLS stand for? Don't tell me, I've lost interest and gone to the BMW dealership instead.

*Spits drink out in shock* Excuse me?! You're going to criticise Mercedes Benz for a large array of pointless numbers and letters and then head off to BMW?

This is a company which still puts i after every model number. 318i, 330ci, 530i, 530xi (whatever the hell that is). This is a company which offers the option of having the boot badge of the model removed to save embarassment for the owner of people recognising he couldnt afford the top of the range. They feel the need to call the convertible six-series the ci, for people who cant see the roof is missing. They're also a company which make three versions of the same pointless car (X3, X5 and X6) and they're all overpriced rubbish.

Its a company which gives you virtually nothing as standard, you get wheels, doors and a windscreen and everything else is optional, and expensive. The BMW 1-series is possibly one of the most pointless cars made when you break down what a medium family hatch is meant to do, its no more practical than a 3 series, less room in the boot and rear than a Focus for much more money. If you want a BMW you cant fit anything in the back of then buy a Z3 or Z4 or something.

All the Germans are guilty of over-naming cars, making the same car 7 times and giving it all 7 different numbers. The chances of going into a Porsche dealership and coming out with the car you went in for are pretty slim.

Most Pointless Car? - LikedDrivingOnce

The A7 can do everyting that its rivals can do, but is more versatile because it has a hatchback, whereas they are merely saloons.

So if you think that the A7 is redundant then you must think that rival offerings from Mercedes, Jaguar, Volve, BMW are even MORE redundant.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think they are all great cars, and none are redundant.

Don't you see any irony in expressing an opinion about other people's opinions?

If space is an issue, an estate makes better use of the floorpan than a hatchback with a severly shallow angled tailgate. The A7 can't do anything an A6 Avant can't do better.

For a big luxury saloon, the A8 fits the bill nicely.

The A7 isn't useless, but it is difficult to see the need for a new platform that wasn't filled with the A5, 6, and 8.

Jaguar does not have redundant platforms.

I do think this is a silly thread, dominated by people that wish to push or impose their own prejudices on everyone else ; with the implication that if you do not agree you are somehow wrong.

A little tolerance goes a long way.

Pot. Kettle. Big flashing neon sign with 'Ironic' written on it. No? Too slow to follow?

So i have to 'tolerate' other peoples buying choices (which i do) but you dont have to tolerate my opinion of it? Yet i have to tolerate your opinion that i shouldnt have one?

The 'implication that if you do not agree you are somehow wrong' is particularly amusing as no doubt you feel if i disagree with your post i am therefore wrong.

So come on, own up, which of these cars do you own?

Now now boys!

I actually like the A7. If its single purpose is to be a good looking car, then it's not pointless. It's attractive, and it's a hatch.

I agree wholeheartedly with that, I think that the A7 is the best looking car Audi make by a country mile! Far better than the ghastly A8. I do think the Sportback is slightly redundant but sure they wouldn't make it if they couldn't sell it.

I also think that there are few cars out there that look better as a saloon than as an estate version... In my view the estate option of most saloons is far better looking than the equivalent saloon.

Mmm.

You have imposed your views on this forum for quite a while. I use the word 'impose' because you have the irritating style of writing in declaratives. this gives the reader the impression that your views are 'correct' and any others are 'incorrect'.

Just my opinion.

Oh, yes......Citroen Berlingo.

I await your prejudiced remarks.........

>> Don't you see any irony in expressing an opinion about other people's opinions?

No irony. Just pointing out that you need to use your imagination and put yourself in other drivers shoes. That's what is so good about being able to chat in a forum like this. You can find out why a car that you may think of as useless is actually a good car for the meeds of some other drivers.

So why is it so difficult to understand why anyone would like to own a large hatchback like a Ford Mondeo, Skoda Superb, or Audi A7? It's so simple. There are customers out there who NEED more than a saloon, but don't want to drive a compact hea*** (estate) car around.

>> it is difficult to see the need for a new platform that wasn't filled with the A5, 6, and 8

It's easy to understand. There was a niche missing, and Audi want to make sure that no potential customer is ever lost due to them not being able to supply a car that fits their particular niche. That is why the A7 and the smaller A5 Sportback exist.

The A8 is a great car, I agree, but I couldn't live with a saloon, and I hate - no I loathe - estate cars. (you may have noticed).

I am so glad I am not the only one.

Cheers.

I am so glad I am not the only one.

Cheers.

You might be interested to know you were the only one who read that piece of assumed drivel above. The moment i saw it was praising you i skipped to the bottom, due to my prejudice and intolerance of other peoples opinions.

Oh no wait, thats you.

Most Pointless Car? - SteveLee

I'm not a lover of estates but some are better looking than the Saloon, Jag X-Type, Vauxhall Insignia and most Volvos for instance.

and the 5 series. The saloon looks silly with a little box tacked onto the cabin. The back window gets covered in rain and they're more difficult to park.

The estates are no noisier than saloons nowadays and the extra volume makes the cabin airier.

I think the only saloons that look good are the 60's and 70's Detroit land yachts-but they are hopelessly impractical.

Oh, yes......Citroen Berlingo.

I await your prejudiced remarks.........

I like the Berlingo actually its like a van but its still car like. Only really that and the Renault Kangoo to choose from. Friend of mine has had both as disabled vehicles and has been impressed.

SteveLee
>> I'm not a lover of estates but some are better looking than the Saloon

unthrottled
>>The estates are no noisier than saloons nowadays and the extra volume makes the cabin airier.

Fair play Gentlemen, these are very good points. In the old days the estate variant was a poor relation to the saloon. The conversion to the estate body often looked hideous and they were poor to drive in comparison.

Modern estate cars are often excellent all-rounders. I respect their abilities, and used to drive one! My strong aversion is due to complex personal reasons which I won't bore everyone with here.

Modern estates feel like they've been built from the bottom up alot more than older estates which were basically a Saloon with a big box glued on the back.

Personally ive never seen an estate car which in my opinion looks nicer than its saloon/hatchback counterpart. But thats my preferance, ive never liked estate cars, i'd buy one if i needed one, but i wouldnt buy one for its looks. The 406 Estate and the 95-03 5 series Touring, Jaguar X Type Estate probably come closest.

My strong aversion is due to complex personal reasons which I won't bore everyone with here.

These complex personal reasons are either the fact he cant park or his wife hates Estates. Am i right? Am i? Come on you know i am!

:)

Hehe.

"Personally ive never seen an estate car which in my opinion looks nicer than its saloon/hatchback counterpart. "

Skoda Superb?

Most Pointless Car? - TeeCee

"Personally ive never seen an estate car which in my opinion looks nicer than its saloon/hatchback counterpart. "

Skoda Superb?

Alfa 159?

These complex personal reasons are either the fact he cant park or his wife hates Estates. Am i right? Am i? Come on you know i am!

Ha ha! :-) Actually, SWMBO loved the estate, but I AM poor at parking. The only car that I could ever park really well was the estate - isn't life strange?

No - I had a road accident in an unwanted BMW estate. Driving became a nightmare and I had to get my head fixed. Lots of weird and distressing stuff came out - it has to, you can't come to terms with it unless its in the open.

Now I'm starting to remember it all again. :-(

There - happy now?

I was trying to give a comedic tone to the conversation! No need to drag it down :)

My sympathies to anybody who's had a serious road accident, i have no idea how such a thing would affect me as im of the mentality of 'cheer up, might never happen' sort of person. I never imagine that sort of thing will happen to me. I have been witness to quite a nasty incident mind a couple of years ago when i was behind a cyclist who got knocked off his bike in the rain and broke his arm after a very awkward landing.

. . im of the mentality of 'cheer up, might never happen' sort of person.

Me too! :-) I think that it hits us harder than the pessimists when we actually do have a bad one. I think that they get a kind of grim "told you so!" satisfaction when something bad happens, like an accident.

Sing like nobody's listening, dance like nobody's watching, and work like you don't need the money.

Well i'd also describe myself as a pessimist in some respects and with my job being all about numbers i find it impossible to work like i dont need the money but im also not someone who goes around expecting the worst to happen to me.

My way of thinking is if i get in a car believing i will crash, then i definately will crash. If you thought you'd crash you'd never get in the car. In fact if you always believed the worst you'd never do anything.

By the way just in case anybodies wondering i didnt leave the cyclist at the side of the road with his broken arm, it was about 4ish on a late October afternoon, pretty heavy rain and going along a usually quiet enough 30mph limit road just outside town and thats where the cyclist came off his bike, due to a plank in a BMW who when moving to the left a bit to avoid the traffic island didnt see the cyclist or didnt care and caught him which led him to fall very awkwardly off his bike onto the pavement. There was nothing behind me at the time so i put hazards on, two wheels up on the path (i had my black 406 HDi at this point, god i loved that car, shame someone hit it one day) got out and went over to him and asked if he was ok, his arm was clearly in a bad way and it wasnt for the squeamish, but he was determined to get up and used me to drag himself up with his good arm. He was walking fine so i chained his bike up to the nearest lamp post and drove him to the hospital which was only 10 minutes away.

See im a nice person really.

Yeah but if you're a pessimist, when something rubbish happens, you're not so disappointed because you half expected it. There's logic in there somewhere!

Most Pointless Car? - expatsFL

Watched TG the other night with the new RR on it.

That car gets my vote. To me it looks like a blown up mini!

I'd like to make a small amendment to my suggestions. Upon reflection and research i'll take the 3008 off the list, i actually prefer its looks to the 5008 and the 5008 is the bizarre one of the range. Looks like a van!

Don't most MPV's look like vans anyway. I wouldn't call the 5008 a pointless car, just another MPV in a booming market. The name of the thing is a bit bizarre though...

I think the extra number is to signify extra room in the car or extra row of seats or something like that. Quite how the 1007 fits in there im not sure. Now THAT was a pointless car.

The 1007 is one of the best examples we've had yet of a pointless car: all it brought to the market were its slow and unreliable sliding doors.

I think the idea is that mainstream Pugs - hatchbacks, saloons and estates - have a single 0, and 'extra' models have a double 0. So the 3008 is one of those Jack-of-all-trades crossovers, and the 5008 is a people-carrier.

Thank you, i think we've finally hit on one here with the 1007. It was heavy, slow, too expensive for what it was, the sliding doors were slow, unreliable and made it awkward to get in the back (i know because i tried one while wandering round a Peugeot dealership as my friend was trying a 308), it was nowhere near the revolution in motoring Peugeot hoped for.

As for the 3008 and 5008 i supposed technically the former is the most pointless one, as its made to compete with the Qashqai which is in itself pretty odd and the type of car which didnt exist ten years ago, but i prefer the looks of the 3008 to the 5008. There was a time where Peugeot held back on making cars to fill sectors in the belief those sectors were dying, after the 405 they said people dont buy four door saloons anymore then had a heart attack when they realised that wasnt the case, then rushed round and put out the thoroughly decent 406 for example.

Most Pointless Car? - TeeCee

Ah, the "build it and they will come" school of car design.

Presumably anyone saying that at Renault gets beaten to death with an Avantime steering column....

Most Pointless Car? - aaj

I think the most pointless cars are the ones that never sold. Like the Mini Moke, that was the most pointless car of all time. Then there are cars like the Merc R class, when people either bought an E Class or ML ...

If 1,000's people buy Range Rover Evoques, then they can't be so pointless. Hmmm, I guess a lot of people hate 4x4's period. But in all fairness, they are popular for good reasons.

Just because people buy them doesnt make them good cars. Alot of the Cheshire, Cottswolds and Chelsea mob will buy the Evoque because its the latest must have chav accessory. It'll be filling the car parks of Premier League training grounds for the next few years but the fact is it offers nothing any other car they make doesnt. Its a more a case of more-money-sense etc.

The 1007 can be classified as pointless then as only a couple of years after the marketing blurb of 'revolution in motoring' they dropped it because nobody bought one.

What about that Mini with the single rear door but they didnt put the door on the other side when they converted it to right-hand drive so the only rear door then opened into traffic instead of onto the pavement?

If people want to buy rubbish like the Evoque then RR would be stupid to not make it, theres alot of money in useless tat so i have no problem with them catering to it.

Mehhhh............they go to Overfinch.

Oh that Overfinch Range Rover they had on Top Gear with the 'self replenishing drinks cabinet' and the guns is my sort of car!

Most Pointless Car? - Bilboman

I remember seeing 4 door Opel Kadett "saloons" in Germany, which were identical to the first generation Astra but with boot hinges instead of a hatchback. I always thought the first generation Mégane coupé was the only pointless model in the six car lineup. Renault itself must have decided that the estate version was "pointless" in RHD markets as the Scénic sold so well, so Renault never built a RHD version. Similarly, small booted saloons that have always sold strongly in southern and Eastern European markets never did well or often never even reached these shores (Renault 7 and Thalia; Fiat Uno; current Astra and previous Focus...)
Final thought - was there ever a need for the "Clubman" front on the original Mini? Longer nose, separate sidelights and, erm... hmm... Nope, don't get it!

Most Pointless Car? - OldSkoOL

Smart Car

Low on power, no space, dangerous on the m-way, pannels wobble over a certain speed, changing a lightbulb requires the complete removal of the front bumper and to top it off my nan says the neigbours one looks "quere"

Most Pointless Car? - RT

I remember seeing 4 door Opel Kadett "saloons" in Germany, which were identical to the first generation Astra but with boot hinges instead of a hatchback.

Why was an Opel Kadett saloon pointless in Germany - the continentals prefer saloons far more than we do, hatchback popularity is much higher in the UK than elsewhere.

Actually, it's the hatchback that's pointless - why not just have a proper estate?

Most Pointless Car? - RT

Today's pointless car - Land Rover LC100 Sport

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/land-rover-defender/fra...x

Actually, it's the hatchback that's pointless - why not just have a proper estate?

Your question was answered upthread. But to recap:. A person may need more space than a saloon. They choose the hatchback, rather than the estate because:

• They don't actually need an estate - it's overkill for their needs
  • The don't wan't to pay the extra premium that the estate variant costs
  • They don't like estate cars anyway

So why would they pay extra for a car that they don't like that gives them stuff they don't need.? Of course they don't - they buy a hatchback.

I dont like estates and would only buy one if it was required. I think thats one reason behind the Focus' success. Its shape gives the practicality of an Estate, or Estate-lite i suppose without actually having to buy an estate car.

Most Pointless Car? - 1litregolfeater

Any car that doesn't give 50 mpg.

Especially Aston Martins, big, ugly, driven by footballers

You can wash your mouth out with soap young (or old) man! Not everybody wants a dull boring eco box. An Aston Martin meets my three main criteria's for what a car should be. It has a British name, its powered by petrol and it goes very quickly.

I'll give you the Cygnet but thats not a real Aston, just a fake one to keep the EU happy.

Most Pointless Car? - OldSkoOL

Madness

Therefore you are the most pointless car

Most Pointless Car? - Bilboman
My definition of pointlessness would be where a marketing campaign fails spectacularly, and a hyped product - a car, say - is spurned by the public: a car is researched, developed, marketed etc but not bought, for a whole host of reasons. The Austin 3 litre in its day was a pointless alternative to the Landcrab; the Talbot Tagora simply could not compete with Ford, Volvo and the rest; the FSO Polonez was possibly the world's most useless hatchback (non-folding rear seat); SAO and Lonsdale offered old Japanese models with no brand and, er, not much in the way of a dealer network. And, finally, a lot of cars have no vice other than an "I wouldn't be seen DEAD in that" level of ugliness!
After all, if a car sells in sufficient numbers, it isn't really pointless - unless buyers had only realised too late. Or am I missing something?
Most Pointless Car? - oldgit

Pointless cars? Probably 30 to 40 % of the cars manufactured by the large car manufacturers. Too many models, variants leading to a confusion.

My definition of pointlessness would be where a marketing campaign fails spectacularly, and a hyped product - a car, say - is spurned by the public.

In that case, I live in hope that we will soon have a new champion "pointless car" in the form of the Land Rover Evoque. I saw one in the flesh the other day. I know that beauty is subjective, but to my eyes it is just hideous. Yet, every car magazine hypes the thing upp to the skies.

Ive said before that sales figures doesnt let the car off the hook. The BMW X5 should be proof enough of that fact. But even going by that measure the Peugeot 1007 definately fits the bill, that really was tragic for everyone involved.

What do car magazines know? All of them said 5 series = S-Type and i respectfully disagree.

Most Pointless Car? - 1litregolfeater

As there seem to be some Aston Martin fans here, I shall only say, it's a matter of taste and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

So then, how about these huge new Bentleys. Were they part designed by the plod? Must make tracking drug dealers easy for them now, perhaps we have automotive design innovation to thank for cutting public sector costs.

The Continental GT is fantastic, i'd have one of those but if you're referring to the new SUV they're planning on then thats just Bentley's belated entry into the bling SUV market. About 10 years too late but it'll still walk out of showrooms.