'Manly' cars - Bobbin Threadbare

I have just read the HJ article about the most 'manly' cars. I suspect, since the poll was conducted by a shaving foam company, that mostly men answered it. The Ford Mustang was voted most manly. The list of least manly cars had the lovely MX-5 on it, and it would seem that men find the VW Beetle to be rather feminine.

I have to say, aside from the MX-5, I greatly prefer the 'manly' cars list. If I ever go crackers and buy a new style Beetle or a Micra, you may shoot me.

'Manly' cars - jamie745

Men think a Porsche 911 is a manly sports car though but thats just a flattened Hitler derived Beetle.

'Manly' cars - bathtub tom

There's a local guy, drives a little, pastle coloured Fiat. He's built like brick outhouse and builds concrete block and beam floors for a living.

I think that car's as manly as he needs.

'Manly' cars - jamie745

I saw a bright pink Citroen Saxo with pink furry dice, pink steering wheel cover (fluffy) with 'Laura' written on the boot a couple of days ago.

Thats either a REALLY girly girl or a woman who wanted to make sure her boyfriend never pinched her car again.

'Manly' cars - unthrottled

I don't think the old Beetle is feminine at all-very gender neutral car. The new Beetle, any French cabriolet, the Micra Convertible are excessivelty girly tto the pointthat no sensible person would want to drive one.

Most supercars are exceptionally camp.

The dodge Nitro tries to be the manliest car but fails dismally!

'Manly' cars - jamie745

The Pug convertibles scream girly. Horrendously impractical as well (back seats for elves) so it narrows it down to the sort of girl who buys something purely because of the colour. Renault Megane convertible isnt that gender specific but is still a horrible little rotbox.

Theres something reassuringly sexy about an attractive lady in a big fast car, like the certain fine brunette i caught a glimpse of in a 530i today. There are some cars which can pull off the trick of neither men or women going 'oh no thank you'. The old SLK was a hairdressers car but the new one isnt so, women still look great in it but men wouldnt say no to one. Well done Mercedes.

'Manly' cars - davmal
"Men think a Porsche 911 is a manly sports car though but thats just a flattened Hitler derived Beetle"

Men who lived humdrum lives, and whose lives were spent in a Perrinesque daydream maybe.
'Manly' cars - OssettTyreHouse

the ford mustang/shelby gt500 and the dodge viper are pretty much on top of my manly car list.
that being said one of our lads drive a golden daewoo matiz (extremely manly) and hes 20 stone and 6ft4 so im not going to tell him different

'Manly' cars - ForumNeedsModerating

I can't really believe this survey isn't a spoof. I never give those sort of things a thought when I'm out & about in the Monaro (manual - natch). I have enough of a problem with the sunburn on my chest (well down to my waist, actually, in a V-shape) from the fact that the Monaro has such a big windscreen that I find I'm constantly having to apply sun lotion to my chest - not that it does much good, what with all that hair getting in the way and all (the medallion's a damn nuisance tool).

If I ever thought I'd got to the stage where my car was meant to say something about my manly provenance - well, frankly, I'd give up & buy a folding bicycle.

Edited by woodbines on 02/09/2011 at 17:24

'Manly' cars - Bobbin Threadbare

The only purpose for the survey is some light entertainment.

Woodbines is right; people should have whatever car is affordable, comfortable and suitable for their needs.

However, I cannot deny that watching a tall, shaven-headed, tattooed fella squish himself into a small 'girly' car is anything less than very funny.

It's like the discussion about how hard you have to be to have a Mitsubishi Warrior//Barbarian from the other day - unthrottled thinks he isn't. He says that those are like Yorkies; not for women. I say I've got the tattoos so I'm part way there :-P but it'd look amusing if I did drive one and found I had to abseil from the cab.

'Manly' cars - ForumNeedsModerating

I was really spoofing myself more, Bobbin! My real car is a DAF Daffodil in a manly shade of puce, , with floral print covered seats complete with lace anti-maccassars (and a Robbie Williams bobbing dog on the parcel-shelf).

'Manly' cars - Sofa Spud

Men who feel the need to portray a manly image on the road tend to go for double-cab 4x4 pick-ups these days.

Anyone who can drive properly, male or female, is capable of driving any sort of modern car. So the idea that any car is manly is rather daft.

An AC Cobra might be a handful, and scary, but with a bit of practice and a large helping of self-restraint, most people would be able to control one

Edited by Sofa Spud on 02/09/2011 at 18:36

An AC Cobra might be a handful, and scary, but with a bit of practice and a large helping of self-restraint, most people would be able to control one

I think we're at risk of blurring the lines between skill and strength. You don't need to be be strong to drive a Cobra, but I'm not sure many people (myself included) would be good enough to drive one briskly. Most of that genre are pretty challenging to drive.

An old tractor unit otoh, does require real strength to drive-and a fair degree of skill. Not like the steering wheel attendants nowadays spoiled with synchromesh and 700hp Scanias!

Edited by unthrottled on 02/09/2011 at 18:45

All these surveys are pretty silly. It's just a derivitive of 'which car would you like to own?' (manly) against 'which car would you least like to be encumbered with?' (feminine)

How does the BMW X5 count as manly? It is a quintessetial WAGs' car!

Aston Martin DB7?

Owned by people called Rupert that work in the city selling derivitives of sub prime debts. Only bought the car because it was more expensive than all the other offerings. Never done an oil chamge. Unmanly.

'Manly' cars - Trilogy

911 is one of the greatest cars of the last 50 years - period!

'Manly' cars - Collos25

I would agree apart from being rear engined they have nothing in common with a Beetle, having owned both in the past I can honestly say there is a difference.

Edited by Collos25 on 02/09/2011 at 21:21

'Manly' cars - Manatee

I haven't seen the list, but I'm happy with my hairdressers' MX5 and I care not about the jeers! The fact that my wife likes it too is a bonus.

Great fun, everybody should have one.

'Manly' cars - gordonbennet
An old tractor unit otoh, does require real strength to drive-and a fair degree of skill. Not like the steering wheel attendants nowadays spoiled with synchromesh and 700hp Scanias!

Few manual boxes nowadays, nearly all automated manuals.

You're quite right about those old trucks though, you had to have some strength to drive them, no power steering, no air assistance on the clutches (Scammells sorted the men from the boys, heavy as could be), crash gearboxes that you learned to drive without ever crunching the gears (looks of disdain from other proper truck drivers would accompany a crunch), unforgiving clutches with sintered iron linings if i recall correctly....try to slip them they'd judder enough to shake your fillings out.

The gearboxes alone were a world apart, there was no fooling anyone, you could either drive or you couldn't.

Always was a skilled job, if you were loaded you needed to be good at reversing, more than one shunt could exhaust you physically as you dragged the wheel round like a sailor pulling an anchor rope in, one leg braced against the dashboard for support whilst doing so.

20 ton loads handballed on and off in many cases, sheeted, roped and fly sheeted over.

Wouldn't have missed it for the world mind, capable and decent proper blokes the huge majority, not so many wingers as now, few women in those days but those that could were very respected.

I knew they went to synchro boxes twenty odd years ago, but I thought robotized manuals were comparitively rare.

On the crash boxes, there was a clutch brake at the bottom of the travel so you couldn't just stamp the clutch pedal down to the floor. If you were good, you could float at least some of the changes.

The trucks used to have steering wheels 30" across to provide leverage. And people think they need power steering on a car! They wouldn't scuff their tyres while
maneuevering if they had to spin the wheel by hand...

'Manly' cars - Andy P

This?

www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/...8