Peugeot 407 SW - Slipping clutch but only when changing gear?? - fredthefifth

Hi All, haven't really nailed this yet but I reckon my 10 plate 407 HDi SW occasionally slips the clutch when I change gear. Just occasionally, seems to happen when going from 2nd to 3rd, I notice the engine revs just go high for a second when i take my foot off the clutch before settling down. I cannot recreate so can't be sure and its gone before I really pay attention, neither can I force the clutch to slip by applying the power from low revs.

Anyone any idea what might be going on please.

Ta.

Peugeot 407 SW - Slipping clutch but only when changing gear?? - Peter.N.

The clutch is most likely to slip at max torque, it could be that equates to the revs you are doing when changing gear, the more you let it slip the faster it will wear. Don't accelerate hard until the clutch is well engaged.

Peugeot 407 SW - Slipping clutch but only when changing gear?? - unthrottled

You lose boost during gear changes so you won't make maximum torque at that point. It sounds like a problem with the slave cylinder part of the hydraulic mechanism which is not allowing the clutch to immediately engage properly.

Thanks both for the replies.

Peter, I've driven manual cars for longer than I care to add up and this particular car for the last 6 months or so. I don't think its me.

Unthrottled, I was thinking along those lines but was more concerned that it might be the clutch sticking on the splines than the slave cyclinder.

Peugeot 407 SW - Slipping clutch but only when changing gear?? - Peter D

Is it not still under warrantee. Take it back. Regards Peter

Yes its still under warrentee but the fault is intermittent, hasn't happened now in several hours of long distance driving, so they could look at it for half a day and give it back and say try that and I wouldn't know, so am half wondering whether I should let it get worse or what.

Bloke at work reckons it could be the DMF. Any thoughts??

Thanks for your responses.

FTF

Took it in fully expecting to be told no fault found. Instead they found an oli leak that was getting onto the clutch and while investigating that found 'excessive play in the DMF'.

Net result is that I now have a new clutch and DMF all on warrantee. Good ole Peugeot I say, although one has to question that a car barely 18 months old and with just over 20K on the clock should need such work.

Peugeot 407 SW - Slipping clutch but only when changing gear?? - Peter.N.

Seems to be fairly typical of modern cars - that's why I don't run them.

Trouble is even modern cars get old!