N/A - Returning a lease car - windscreen chip - Man without a plan

Hi folks,

I have a car on a two year lease and intend to return it at the end of that lease (6 months time).

The car really is in A1 condition as you would expect for 18m old, I washed and waxed it the other week and it was like it had just come out of the showroom, not a mark on the alloys, all serviced as should be etc.. only problem is a stone chip in the windscreen.

The physical chip in the surface of the screen is tiny, can hardly feel it, must be <2mm across, maybe even 1mm... however behind the surface chip it is quite bad, maybe 8mm across, probably like the "bullseye" chip on autoglass (checkforchips.co.uk/uploads/pics/chip_g0004_04.jpg) but without the crack lines.

The actual chip is underneath the window wipers when they are in their resting position, so i'm wondering if anyone who has ever returned a lease car can tell me if they are likely to inspect that closely (i.e. lift the wipers) to check....

Furthermore, the return booklet I have states "repairable chip in windscreen = £30 + VAT" and replacement screen if chip cannot be repaired is £200....

Now I would get the chip repaired myself but a) i'm worried about the screen cracking and having to get a new screen anyway and b) I would assume that with a bullseye type chip it would only fill the surface divot and not the underneath bit and so you'd still see it?

BTW - the chip (because its under the wipers) isn't in the line of sight when driving in fact that part of the glass isn;t even clear, its right at the bottom and the glass is black behind it...

Sorry to go on, basically I want some advice on what to do to as much as possible avoid having to shell out a wedge of cash...

Cheers

N/A - Returning a lease car - windscreen chip - Bobbin Threadbare

A stone dink in the screen can be sorted out by Autoglass or a similar organisation - I had one repaired, right at the base of the windscreen and it cost me a tenner. If it's smaller than a £2 coin you might as well have it filled.