HJ Kia Rio Review - jamie745

I enjoy reading HJ's reviews very much and this comment is nothing particularly about his review but i wanted to draw attention to this bizarre engine choice from Kia highlighted in the review. Although the review states the car hasnt arrived yet i was particularly depressed with this.

Fitted with a special 1.1 litre 3 cylinder turbodiesel engine, it’s the lowest emitting internal combustion engined car in the World.

Nothing else beats 85 grams per kilometre CO2 and an EC combined economy of 88.3mpg.

VED exempt. London Congestion Charge exempt. If it gets anywhere near 88.3mpg in real life it will cost you hardly anything to run.

1.1litre 3 cylinder diesel? My god i bet thats going to be absolutely, positively, undoubtably, completely rubbish!

Seriously, why bother making it? Poverty-spec model of the most depressing order.

Maybe unthrottled can tell me what the point is in a 3 cylinder 1.1 litre diesel?!

HJ Kia Rio Review - unthrottled

Not much.

Especially in a 1300Kg/2850lb car...

My car is 2180kg and even the 2.5 in the other one i drove felt slightly underpowered.

Surely that pithy diesel will have to work so hard it wont be emitting less than 90g/km in the real world! Are we so desperate to not pay a little bit of tax and not have even a little bit of comfort, power and kit that people are willing to put up with seriously poverty spec models which can be outrun by horses? Is the world really that bad? Have we really gotten to this point?

Dear god.

Edited by jamie745 on 24/08/2011 at 16:33

yup. Wait for the indignant complaints about manufacturers 'cheating'. They don't cheat-they just manipulate their products to perform as well as possible in the NEDC. The fault lies withthe NEDC, not the manufacturers.

We all know the car they send for testing is tuned in a certain way to perform well in the test, not especially to perform well on the road, and its certainly not tuned the same way as the ones the public actually go in and buy. Manufacturers bend rules to get cars in a lower tax band etc for us, how horrible of them?! How dare they?! Of course it helps them meet their emissions requirements etc but still useful for us.

But still, a 1.1 3 cylinder diesel, im sorry i am literally laughing right now because i cannot imagine anything worse than that. Whoever sacrifices a big chunk of their money to buy this car new, to save a few grams of carbon dioxide entering the World, which will make no difference to any part of humankind, will only buy it because they havent looked at anything else. So what if they claim it does 88mpg, a Golf 2.0 TDi will do 50 odd and is only tax band F or whatever it is. 2.0 Focus TDCi is about the same. Which would you rather have? One of them two or a 1.1 diesel?

If i laugh any harder i will fall off my chair.

3 cylinder 1.1 diesel....deary me.

Edited by jamie745 on 24/08/2011 at 16:55

HJ Kia Rio Review - colinh

Usual problem with Kias - no flexibility with options - "if you want this, you get that" - "this" being a reasonably specced interior, "that" being large-diameter alloys with low-profile rubber and a harsh ride.

At least they've dealt with the warranty-knockers with a £259 package for the first three services

HJ Kia Rio Review - ForumNeedsModerating

Yes, totally agree colinh. Car makers make their cars, it seems, for the numpties who equate nice/useful/functional specification with low profile tyres. I can't think of a single manufacturer who doesn't do this. I suppose the reality is that people have been suckered into thinking prestige=lowprofile, that it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy now.

I bought my most recent car (spec level wise) on the basis of its tyre aspect ratio, although I could have afforded (and would have bought) a higher spec. of the same model.

HJ seems to be about the only motoring journalist to 'champion' the more fit-for-purpose wheel sizes & usually makes reference, somewhere, in his tests about choosing the lower spec to get that.

In reference to the performance of the 1.1 diesel version - I don't think it's as cut & dried as simply looking at gross (torque & bhp) figures & 0-60 speeds. The 1.1 apparently starts delivering menaningful torque at just 1000rpm (equal, incidentally, to the max troque figure of the 1.25 petrol) & has max torgue from 1500 to 2500 rpm. That's sounds quite 'driveable' to me. It may not get to 60mph that quickly in a 'drag race', but most driving isn't like that. We tend to accelerate up to 30/40 mph, then enter 50mph zones or NSL single carriageway (60 mph) or NSL dual carriageway (70mph), so are quite often actually accelerating from say, 40-ish to 60/70 in top gear - probably jusat where the 1.1 diesel is strongest & nearly comparable (I'g guess) to the larger petrols.

I'd reserve judegement until a fuller test is done, and see what's said then.

Yes i know we dont do 0-60 in the real world, what we really do is go from 50-75 alot and 0-20 then stop for some traffic lights and im sure the 1.1 diesel will manage it but i'd personally want better than 'just managing' it. It will be pretty awful and depressing and just too slow, unless they stick a massive turbo on it it will be too slow without question. I'd say a 1.6 petrol is too little in a car of that size and weight.

gross (torque & bhp) figures & 0-60 speeds.

Net, surely? :)

I can't think of any automotive diesel engine that makes meaningful torque at 1000RPM. All turbo diesels have a torque curve that's pretty much the same shape. This is just a Hyundai 1.5 4 pot with a cylinder chopped off. The torque curve will be the same shape but roughly 3/4 as large.

We've been here before with the VW Lupo 3L. That was a 1.2 3 pot diesel. It didn't last.

Automotive engines aren't vey efficient below 1500RPM at full load anyway. With only 3 pots it'll be rough as a cob at low RPM to boot. Not for me.

Edited by unthrottled on 24/08/2011 at 18:53

HJ Kia Rio Review - Trilogy

The 1.1 diesel is probably the most impressive engine in the new Rio range,

The 1.1 diesel is probably the most impressive engine in the new Rio range,

Says more about the rest of the Rio range than about the 1.1 diesel. I cant believe people are actually contemplating this to be a good idea. a 1.1litre 3 cylinder diesel in a Korean car weighing as much as Tesco. If i had an automotive nightmare scenario, the worst thing i could ever imagine it'd be that.

No, I can think of cars a much bigger nightmere to drive. The Mk1 1.0 Corsa!

"But the Rio now sits in the front half of the supermini pack – unthinkable, not so many seasons ago – and if emissions and economy are paramount, this version of it is a winner". Well respected motoring magazine.

HJ Kia Rio Review - Avant

I don't think anybody's driven one yet - so probably best to reserve judgement until you drive one or see a road test.

The review is almost identical to the What Car? offering. Who plagarised from whom?!

For London users it make sense since it is exempt from the congestion charge . For other users, I'm not so sure.Let's get this straight. The price starts at £12,000! If you can stump up £12K, is an mpg or two really that important? This doesn't get you a/c. If want a/c-you need to stump up more, and the economy starts dropping even if you don't use it!

My only experience of triples was a brief ride in a 2006 Aygo petrol. It went ok, but the engine was pretty coa*** (come get me HJ censor!).

HJ Kia Rio Review - SteveLee

The Kappa petrols are very good - as good as anything out there.

Dunno why my other post disappeared, I see no reason why the 3 pot diesel won't be a decent engine. VAG's failure doesn't mean it won't work. People scoffed at the Fiat multijet 1.3 before it was launched, that turned out very well.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstDrives/Kia-Rio-1.1D-EcoDynamics-1/258838/

Just to the right is a drive of another Rio.

All the 'well respected motoring magazines' will say the same thing. Its essentially a cut and paste job of 'talk up the 'green' car' and it'll essentially be reprinted almost word for word in every outlet so just slapping a quote down from Autocar saying its good means absolutely nothing. They will say that wont they. WhatCar still think the Vauxhall Omega was a good car, i think it drives like a boat and is one of the most horrible vehicles ive had the misfortune of driving so i couldnt care less about their opinion on anything.

'if emissions and economy are paramount'...essentially admitting thats its only selling point and for 12k i'd expect alot alot alot more.

Surprised you thought the Omega was so bad - the chassis was the best thing about it - I preferred it to the BMW 5 series of the time, the Omega had a better ride/handling compromise. The Senator I had was excellent, in sport mode you could really hustle it down the twisties. The Police pursuit drivers I know loved their Omegas for the neutral on-the-limit handling.

See the fact the Police were so keen on their Omega's is why i was interested in one to begin with. On paper its my sort of car, big, rear drive, lots of car for not much money and bucket loads of power in certain models. If anything i may have been hoping for too much as i went to test drive a 2.2litre Automatic model, in very good condition, took it out for a drive and the straight line power was non existant and it handled like a boat. Went round a roundabout and it would just lean like an old soggy American car. Gearbox was good i'll give it that. But undeterred i went and test drove a different one, a 2.6litre CDX with a full vauxhall service history and it was no lemon and that wasnt much better. It just felt very heavy and the steering had very little feel, and i like a car set up for comfort with un-twitchy handling but this was something else.

I'd hoped for so much from the Omega i genuinely thought i was going to buy one but upon driving it it was such a massive letdown. Perhaps its my fault for expecting too much from it.

HJ Kia Rio Review - ForumNeedsModerating

The Autocar report on the 1.1 makes it look like a very capable little engine. Pretty much echoes what I surmised, looking at the output figures. Always better to get real driving impressions, rather than rely on assumptions/prejudices (good or bad) though.

I'm not sure what the apparent prejudice against 3-cylinder engines is all about really. There have been many applications of that configuration - most notably (recently) the 675cc version in Triumphs - universally praised for its power characteristics & 'character'; I've not noticed (m)any queries or problems related to it or reported on it after 7+ years.

I think many use the VAG 3-cyl as a 'I told you so..' benchmark of some kind - well, maybe not surprising it wasn't a great success - many of their recent 4-cyl diesel engines have had big technical questions marks hanging over them -ask 659FBE!

SAAB, I believe also made an iconic 3-cyl 2-stroke than won many fans & races (my chum had one - it was reliable, powerful & fun)

I don't particularly see the benefit of getting the base version though - 94g Co2 / km will still be RT zero rated & congestion charge free & you can have a few useful extras in the higher spec.

HJ Kia Rio Review - davmal
Suzuki. Kawasaki and Laverda made them work in two stroke and four stroke guises.

A three cylinder engine will make as much power as a four cylinder engine of the same displacement but will be more efficient because of it's larger cylinders. So the 73 hp isn't the problem. We've known this for over 100 years but the four cylinder dominates for good reason.

Nor is the balance 'problem' a big issue on a triple.

The problem is that there is only one firing pulse every 240 degrees. To make the same power as the four cylinder, the power pulse must be ~33% larger than for a four cylinder firing every 180 degrees. This gives nasty torque fluxes which are transmitted to the cabin.

The only 'cures' are as follows

reduce compression ratio-can't, it's a diesel

raise the engine speed-wastes fuel

limit low end torque-affects driveability

fit a very heavy flywheel-affects throttle response and hence driveability

Use a DMF-durability concerns

None of the cures are very appealing.

Of course a two stroke triple fires every 120 degrees so it is smoother than a 4 cylinder 4 stroke so the issue isn't relevant. Triples also work nicely in low compression, high revving engines which is why they popular in motorcycles.

But in a low RPM diesel engine it will be noticeably less refined than a four cylinder. That is the only problem.

HJ Kia Rio Review - daveyK_UK

the problem with Kia/Hyundai,

users never achieve the mpg figures.

I know this is also the case for the majority of other manufactures, but with Kia/Hyundai, its nomrally 10-15pm less.

Yets, thats as much as 15mpg less (as was the case for the current (soon-to-be-previous) kia rio 1.4 petrol which around town achieved between 25 - 29mpg.

Using the previous kia rio as an example, the diesel rarely got higher than 45mpg on a motorway run, which is acceptable in the real world but along way from the official figures.

The feedback the kia dealership is having about the current 1.4 diesel kia venga coming upto their first service, is they average 40mpg combined.

Its ok, but along way from the official figures.

While im sure all manufactures distort their mpg claims, kia and hyundai seem to be one of the worst .

They're the best at playing the NEDC game, that's all. You could always ask HMRC to recalculate your VED in line with your observed economy... ;)

HJ Kia Rio Review - colinh

Just coming up to three years with a 2.0l petrol automatic Kia and have averaged 38 mpg over 40,000 miles which is in line with the quoted figures.

38 is pretty decent in a 2L automatic petrol regardless of what the car is. Top stuff mate! :)

I just don't see what this achieves that the VW Lupo didn't 10 years ago. Officially, the Lupo achieved over 90 mpg combined. In many ways the Lupo was a more elegant solution-it weighed in at under 1900lb. The Rio is over 2600lb-a lot for a small car.

What does it achieve that the little Bluemotion doesnt? Or even the Fiesta econetic (did anybody actually buy any of those?) theres cars with impressive economy which even a year old you can get for 2-3 grand less than the Rio (which would pay for alot of petrol indeed, enough to get my Jaguar to work and back!) ok you might pay £20 to tax it but whats £20 really?! (as an aside, does £20 even cover the admin fee for the tax disc itself?).

These super-economy poverty spec rotboxes should only really be resorted to in London, they'd make excellent good value company runarounds i think but anywhere else i just dont see what it does.

HJ Kia Rio Review - daveyjp

Small cars with diesels are for one type of UK buyer only - driving instructors.

Small cars with diesels are for one type of UK buyer only - driving instructors.

Possibly. Because its too small to work as a taxi so the only other constant-usage work it could do is driving school.

I had a 3 cylinder Fabia when my Octavia was being serviced and loved it. BTW it was a loan car from my indi and not a franchise dealer.

Im seriously worried about you LOL

Owns an Octavia...loves a Fabia....really?!

Woodbines, you're pretty much saying what I said in my post that disappeared, the VAG group have never been what I'd call brilliant engine designers, they've produced mostly workaday dross with the occasional excellent engine. So they couldn't get a small capacity 3 pot diesel to work? That hardly condemns the concept to history – let some decent engineers tackle the project with a proper budget and see how they fare...

Sorry your post disappeared Steve - I've no idea how or why. Not censored by me and if one of the other mods had dode so (unlikely in your case) I would still see it in my version.

Very strange.

Thanks Avant, I didn't think I was "modded" just a post that seemed to be accepted never appeared!

BTW petrol, low geared and fun. Great sound. Smal cars with small engines, simple and often best, just like a Punto MK1 Series 2, 60SX. :)

Honda CRX, Hillman Imp, Daihatsu Charade - some of my most enjoyable motoring experiences have been in such cars.

Jamie, when you get a chance I suggest you drive a Fabia VRS. M5 like mid range punch. :)

Again, i wasnt commenting on anything you wrote, i was commenting on Kia's bizarre choice to put a 1.1litre 3 cylinder diesel in the car, your review drew my attention to this. Thats the only reason i quoted it.

But HJ, your video doesn't review the 1.1 Diesel!

But HJ, your video doesn't review the 1.1 Diesel!

Because he doesnt have it yet, as stated in the review, its not arrived. He was quoting information from Kia, which i took an interest in.

See, some of us pay attention :)

HJ Kia Rio Review - daveyjp

HJ - I'm sure you agree that in the UK a 1.1 diesel makes no sense. If you do low mileage you will save peanuts over a petrol fuelled vehicle and possibly lose out if EGR valves etc start clogging up, but if you do mileage to justify a diesel (15,000 as a bare minimum) you wouldn't want to do them all in a supermini (unless as mentioned you are a driving instructor).

Im not sure about the 15k mileage as this sort of definite barrier between petrol and diesel. This sort of unwritten rule that we all seem to have adopted and abide by, If you can acquire a good diesel model for a similar price as its petrol equivalent then even doing 10k it will save you money day to day and probably hold its price better when it comes to get rid as its less affected by fuel price rises and slightly less vulnerable to the Chancellor upping the tax on it as they tend to fall into lower bands. Avoid DPF models and you should be fine.

But in the case of a new car, and this 1.1 Kia in particular, prices START at around £12,000. In other words about two grand more than a year old Fiesta 1.4TDCi. Even in terms of brand new the 1.1 Rio starts at over £3k more than the Ford Ka.

Edited by jamie745 on 26/08/2011 at 22:29

HJ Kia Rio Review - NowWheels

I dunno enough of the technical stuff to say whether the engine will be any good. But over the last decade, good diesels have started to appear in sizes much smaller than were previously tolerated: Fiat/GM with a 1.3, Toyota with a 1.4, Ford/PSA with a 1.4.

Those engines do not produce a car which is any sort of fireball, but then not everyone wants a car which accelerates like a Jaguar. Plenty of drivers just want sonmething which is easy to drive, reliable and economical, and those small diesels seem to fit that brief very nicely.

Sure, the diesel engone costs more to buy, so they are not a machine to buy unless you are doing a decent mileage. But I know lots of rural dwellers who want a small car for ease of parking etc, yet who clock up high mileages. I know several retired people in the countryside who do more than 15,000 miles a year as they travel around a dispersed set of friends in cars of this sort of size, and an 80mpg machine would be great for them. (I note what some posters say about Kia/Hyundai's grossly optimistic figures, but I'm talking about the concept rather than the possibly flawed implementation).

As to the notion that such a thing is "poverty spec", it all depends what you want. A etired person now will remember the Ford Escorts which were ubiquitous in the 1970s, and one of these machines will be light years better in nearly every respect: faster, quieter, comfier, roomier, and massively more economical. If Kia can make this car as good as they claim, there will be a market for it ... and it won't surprise them at all to know that Jamie doesn't want one.

Loads of people have complained about getting poor observed economy with the Fiat 1.3.

Admittedly, a lot of those complaints were when it was fitted to small Vans where it was probably overworked.

Everyone likes the concept of 80mpg. I just don't think people will like the reality of what it takes to achieve it.

Interestingly, I've yet to see anyone 'leak' a BSFC map of any of these tiny diesels. Gee, I wonder why that is....

Edited by unthrottled on 27/08/2011 at 00:06

I understand NowWheels post, im fully aware there is a market for small economical cars i am not stupid. I also dont expect every car the accelerate off the line with the growl and pace of my car, not that its often required anyway but i do question the wisdom of such a small engine. Yes theres a market for these cars but why does that remain true when these super economical models are often a four figure sum more expensive than another model they make which is still economical. If you're paying £12,000 for a new car you can afford some fuel. I dont see why people pay an extra premium for a worse car due to its economy, if the only point of the car is to save money, surely that defeats it.

The reality is to achieve 80mpg its going to have to be driven like a hea***, with the dead person actually driving it. You're talking 50mph on the motorway with lorries, caravans and horses overtaking you. Pedestrian speeds everywhere else with massive ques forming with people going 'you've got a 61 plate car you can afford some sodding fuel!!' and being late, for everything, constantly. I like economy but very good economy can be achieved in other cars without having to resort to dead-pensioner style driving. My old Pug 406 HDi got 50mpg on a run, and that was a 1.4 tonne automatic saloon and thats doing what i'd call normal driving, not thrashing it obviously but just normal, never held anyone up with it. 50mpg is achievable in the real world i think now, 80 is quite a way off. Realistically.

The reality is to achieve 80mpg its going to have to be driven like a hea***, with the dead person actually driving it. You're talking 50mph on the motorway with lorries, caravans and horses overtaking you. Pedestrian speeds everywhere else with massive ques forming

Jamie, that's nonsese. Either it's a long time since you drove a low-powered car, or you are just being hyperbolic.

In the early 2000s I clocked up quite a mileage in Ireland driving my mum in her 1.0 litre VW Polo, a heavyish car for its time with a 50bhp engine. It had stodgy handling and an unsettled ride, but its lack of power was not an issue. It would cruise happily at 70 on the rare occasions we used motorways, and on the rural roads where I got most use out of it the main drawback was that overtaking required a lot of planning. The queues were ahead of us, rather than behind.

I worked the gearbox quite hard in that Polo, so imagine that fuel consumption was not the lowest. But the diesel Picanto promises an 85bhp engine, with a lot more torque than the Polo's petrol unit, and the two cars have almost exactly the same weight. So the diesel Picanto will be a flyer by comparison, and won't have to be worked hard unless you want it to perform like a big fast car. It will be quite powerful enough to run around on A and B-roads without having to be overworked or cause queues, and with diesel torque it will overtake with a lot more power to spare than something like than the mid-sized 1.4 cars of a few years ago (e.g. Astra 1.4).

Maybe it is true that the idea of a 3-cylinder diesel is flawed; we'll have to see how it works once it's avaialble for testing. Avant is right to point out that the economy proposition of a car like this works only if the diesel engined variant doesn't cost too much of a premium over the petrol engine, tho this sort of calaculation depends a lot on the mileage and on the cost of fuel (which we can expect to rise substantially over the next decade).

The caaculations I did five years ago on the trade-offs between purchase price fuel costs for a petrol or diesel car look much less favourable to petrol now that the price at the pumps has increased by 45%. Some looking now to buy an economical small car for their retirement would be wise to see how their cost calculations work with fuel prices much higher than now.

Some of what is being written in this thread comes across as a spurious rationalisation of a dislike for small and economical cars.

Now Wheels

There is plenty of opinionated material to pick from (much of it mine), but you were unfortunate enough to select a quote that is quite irrefutable.

The quoted fuel consumption is of interest only to your annual VED bill. The actual fuel consumption is what matters. To achieve 80 mpg will involve methodical, slow driving. The average speed on the extra urban part of the NEDC is only 40mph.

I don't have a dislike of small and economical cars. I do have a dislike of hyperbole and there's plenty of that surrounding the 1.1 CRDi.

I know no one is interested in the theory of crankshaft torque fluctuations and NVH, but it affects the way people drive-and hence the observed economy.

Out of everything ive said the quote Now Wheels pulled me up on was probably the most accurate thing i had said.

The average speed on the extra urban part of the NEDC is only 40mph.

Which proves my point, i want them to test it at 75 on a British motorway and then claim those figures.

Its fair to say i dont often drive underpowered cars, ive not driven anything with under at least 100bhp for quite some time but i do remember my 1.1 Fiesta as my first car nearly 10 years ago which wouldve been quicker if you rowed it. Im being accused of disliking small economical cars thats absolute rubbish, i think its fantastic and vital that such things are being produced. But in the case of the 1.1 Kia its maybe going too far and its purely about economy and they've forgotten about the rest of the car, and for 12k i want a bit more for my money. Its cars like this which make unrealistic claims about its economy and are too expensive is what i dislike.

Out of everything ive said the quote Now Wheels pulled me up on was probably the most accurate thing i had said.

The bit I quoted included your comment that the stated mpg could be met only at "pedestrian speeds everywhere else with massive ques forming". If you think for a momemt about efficiency, you'll know that driving in first gear at pedestrian speeds is a very thirsty way of getting about ... and if that's the most accurtae thing you wrote, the rest of it must be pure fantasy.

i want them to test it at 75 on a British motorway and then claim those figures.

No other car is tested at motorway speeds, let alone illegal speeds, so you what you are asking is that this car's mpg measured in a much less favourable manner than other cars on the market. Why do you want to subject this car to testing for a usage which is unlikely to form a major part of its target market?

Its fair to say i dont often drive underpowered cars, ive not driven anything with under at least 100bhp for quite some time but i do remember my 1.1 Fiesta as my first car nearly 10 years ago which wouldve been quicker if you rowed it.

More hyperbole, and more assumption that everyone else wants to drive fast. Plenty of drivers get good mpg out of smaller engined cars by driving more gently (not necessarily more slowly, just taking longer to accelerate). There are plenty of drivers who will find that if the engine produces anything like the stated power outputs, it will be more than adequate for their use.

Im being accused of disliking small economical cars thats absolute rubbish, i think its fantastic and vital that such things are being produced.

Actually, you have repeatedly denounced the concept of a small and economical car as a damnable thing becaue it won't be the fastest machine on the road. Surprise surprise! But

But in the case of the 1.1 Kia its maybe going too far and its purely about economy and they've forgotten about the rest of the car, and for 12k i want a bit more for my money.

Others may want different things for their money, and it's very clear that you are absolutely definitely not part of the target market for such a vehicle.

Its cars like this which make unrealistic claims about its economy and are too expensive is what i dislike.

How about we wait and see what sort of mpg this machine can actually achieve before jumping to conclusions?

Now Wheels

There is plenty of opinionated material to pick from (much of it mine), but you were unfortunate enough to select a quote that is quite irrefutable.

Irrefutable that at 50mph on the motorway you would be overtaken by horses?

I think we live on different planets.

The quoted fuel consumption is of interest only to your annual VED bill. The actual fuel consumption is what matters. To achieve 80 mpg will involve methodical, slow driving. The average speed on the extra urban part of the NEDC is only 40mph.

Indeed. All the figures in the tests are based on slow methodical driving, for whatever car is being tested; that's why they are not replicated in real life, and cars driven fast on the motorway won't meet the stated extra-urban figure. However, my experience of driving on rural Irish roads is that an average of 40mph is quite realistsic even in a fast car; sightlines and poor surfaces preclude anything much higher. On the rural roads in Yorkshire, an average of 45 is possible, but it is rare to average much higher. So for non-motorway use the NEDC is about right on average speed, tho it misleads by not accounting for the amount of acceleration and braking needed.

I agree that the motorway figures are likely to be much lesws favourable, particularly for a smallish car. But that applies to most small cars, which will at mway speeds be using a much higher proprtion of their maximum power.

If the power and torque figures are accurate, this Kia diesel has enough power not to have to be flogged on the motorway, provided that the top gear is high enough. It remains to be seen how it is geared, but it does have the potential to be a lot more economical than a small petrol engine.

I don't have a dislike of small and economical cars. I do have a dislike of hyperbole and there's plenty of that surrounding the 1.1 CRDi.

I certainly agree about the hyperbole. Kia/Hyundai has a track-record of wild optimism in its quoted mpg figures, so it's good to see them being taken with a pinch of salt. But the hyperbole in the denunciations is just as bad as Kia's

He means the fact i said to achieve figures like that you'd have to be driving at 50 on a motorway and you know it, stop missing the point on purpose. Very annoying when people do that.

You talk about rural roads, motorways were built to stop us using rural roads and being too noisy outside some pensioners house so shouldnt motorways be a major inclusion into the fuel economy testing?

He means the fact i said to achieve figures like that you'd have to be driving at 50 on a motorway and you know it, stop missing the point on purpose. Very annoying when people do that.

Cut out the hyperbole and it might be a little clearer which assertion you actually mean.

It's very annoying when people deliberately post a load of patent nonsense, and then cry foul when they think that an objection has been made to the wrong bit of nonsense, childishly claiming that someone has "missed the point on purpose" when the point was a half-truth buried in fantasy.

As to having to drive at 50 on the mway to achieve those figures, it depends how much of the driving mix being measured on was on the mway. The mpg figures are an average of difft speeds, and no car will meet its quoted figures if driven at 75.

You talk about rural roads, motorways were built to stop us using rural roads and being too noisy outside some pensioners house so shouldnt motorways be a major inclusion into the fuel economy testing?

The point of the tests is to reflect actual usage, not somebody's idea of desired usage. The structure of the test is poor, but that's a recipe for maing it worse. Some vehicles rarely use motorways, and I think it's reasonable to assume that a little Picanto is likely to be spending less of its time on the motorway than something like a Mondeo.

Cut out the hyperbole and it might be a little clearer which assertion you actually mean.

If i need to explain which part of that post i 'actually meant' and what i didnt, in the case of speeding horses on the M4, then you have a serious problem. Not me.

*not bothering responding to the next bit*

Some vehicles rarely use motorways, and I think it's reasonable to assume that a little Picanto is likely to be spending less of its time on the motorway than something like a Mondeo.

I think its reasonable to suggest that most people buying diesels, specifically new ones will be people doing reasonably high mileages and not just popping to the bowls club, and that somewhere along the way they're going to end up on a dual carraigeway or motorway with it at some stage.

I think its reasonable to suggest that most people buying diesels, specifically new ones will be people doing reasonably high mileages and not just popping to the bowls club, and that somewhere along the way they're going to end up on a dual carraigeway or motorway with it at some stage.

Indeed, they probably will use the motorways a bit, and I never suggested oherwise. However it seems that the only figure you are interested in that for a vehicle which does a high proportion of its mileage at 75pmph on the motroway. A car doing say 20% of its mileage on the mway, driving at 60 rather then 70+ you would choose, could still fit the 40mph average of the test.

High mileages are not the sole preserve of motorway drivers. You seem unfamiliar with vehicle usage patterns in rural areas, where popping off to see friends every day of going to a difft shop may involve a 30-miles-each-way trip.

If i need to explain which part of that post i 'actually meant' and what i didnt, in the case of speeding horses on the M4, then you have a serious problem. Not me.

Jamie, you write so much hyperbolic froth that I would be deeply concerned about anyone who thught that they could divine with any certainty which bits of froth you actually meant.

If you write like a clown, you'll be read like a clown.

And I am not going to waste any more of time with you. I can get my fill of hyperbolic big-talk anytime I want it by talking to an angry teenager, but I come to the backroom in the hope of a coherent discusion with adults. I thought you might fit that category, but evidently I'd better look elsewhere in the backroom for mature conversation.

You seem unfamiliar with vehicle usage patterns in rural areas, where popping off to see friends every day of going to a difft shop may involve a 30-miles-each-way trip

Well its not like i live in London i am aware there is countryside, i dont live in the middle of nowhere i just dont find myself on rural roads that often, so fair point, possibly.

Jamie, you write so much hyperbolic froth that I would be deeply concerned about anyone who thught that they could divine with any certainty which bits of froth you actually meant.

So you still think it was a serious suggestion that horses would be on the M4? Still? Really?

And I am not going to waste any more of time with you.

Ooo get you :)

I agree with the general gist of what NW says, but what she rightly says many people want - a small economical car - is increasingly being provided by small efficient petrol engines - the VAG 1.2 TSi for instance. Too much power at high revs could well mean a short engine life, but not all these engines are screamers, and their potential economy is not far off a diesel's.

Diesels are still usually priced higher than petrols (both new and used) and for small cars the 'payback period' is often unrealistically long.

It wasnt that long ago that diesel was cheaper at the pumps, duty was less on it to encourage us to use it and manufacturers barely differentiated prices between petrol and diesel models, largely prices were the same in both versions, BMW in particular had diesel models cheaper than the petrol ones only 10 years ago. Yet now diesels more expensive and manufacturers charge us an extra 2 grand for the privilage. Its quite strange how something which became popular (driving a diesel car) due to its money saving qualities has actually now become more expensive and premium.