Ford Focus 1.8 petrol 2003 - ford focus - please diagnose my leak!! - sausagerolls

hey all

spot of car trouble today. going along the motorway and both the 'engine' light and the 'multifunction' warning light came on. the oil temperature gauge was into the red. i pulled over straight away, which fortunately was next to a service station.

checking under the bonnet the coolant level was right down, so i topped it up with water just to get me home. fortunately i made it back home driving very carefully, warning lights still on, but temperature back down to normal

i checked the coolant level again when i got home (about 30 mins later) and it was nearly all gone. while the engine was still hot, i noticed fluid seeping out (not gushing) from the side of the engine block.

these photos show where it was coming out. it was not, as far as i could see, coming from underneath the cylinder head. i hope this rules out the head gasket!

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x229/pete_from_earth/

car anatomy is not my strong point but is this the water pump? this is the only place i noticed any liquid coming out, and now the engine has cooled, it seems to have stopped. i've topped it up again since parking the car, and there is no dripping or puddle underneath the car

i'm now wondering whether my car is safe to drive a reasonable distance, or if i might do more damage. my preferred garage is close to my work, which is 30 miles away so probably risky

any advice would be really appreciated. i need to get this fixed quick

cheers

Pete

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol 2003 - ford focus - please diagnose my leak!! - elekie&a/c doctor

Looks like a leak from the plastic thermostat housing.Possibly cracked /fractured .Not a great problem.Drive carefully with the coolant cap not fully tight to reduce pressure and carry a can of water.hth

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol 2003 - ford focus - please diagnose my leak!! - Focus_Driver

It looks like the Thermostat housing, its a common issue on the focus. Had mine replaced for £140.

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol 2003 - ford focus - please diagnose my leak!! - sausagerolls

thanks for your replies gents

have spoken to my garage who concur that the thermostat housing is the likely problem

in order to get my car there safely, they suggested using Radweld or something similar to minimise the leaking, and they'll replace the thermostat housing and check anything else when i get there

they said that provided the water level does not drop below the minimum, then a safe temperature should be maintained and is unlikely to damage anything else (e.g. head gasket).